Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all..!
Ive got a 2007 4EAT Outback with 145k miles on it. Just had head gaskets done about 3k ago and battled a P0420 code that was fixed with a new upstream O2 sensor.. Did front control arms with ball joints recently and did CV axles about 20k miles ago.
Relatively new tires, good alignment recently done.. no steering wheel shake at speed but some SERIOUSLY weird shuddering coming up through gas pedal and through center of car when accelerating and especially under load. Happens worse as car gets hot.. Happens BAD if slowing down at a light and then accelerating and downshifting.
Put some Shudderfix in it but that did nothing.. Tranny fluid was done at Valvoline about ~ 10k miles ago..

Need to drive cross country but ain’t got the money to get this fixed unless it’s something easy.. Any ideas ladies and gentlemen?

thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,297 Posts
I can think of a few things.

Have you checked your brakes and wheel bearings? Seizing calipers, sticky slide pins, heated wheel bearings that are expanding more the longer you drive it.

Are the wheel lug nuts tight? What shape is the rear suspension in? Tie rods?? I know, these would act up all the time, but I'm covering the shuddering in general.

No MIL or flashing MIL when it does it?

This generation takes HP fluid in the transmission and doesn't like anything else. Subaru parts department or find Idemitsu HP if you want to flush the Valvoline out.

Another thing could be the rear drive shaft. The center carrier or either of the u-joints could be crapped out. You will generally have this at cold temps too though.

Then there's the front axles and the condition of the joints. Same as a bad wheel bearing, if the joint(s) are heating up it adds friction. Did you use a good brand axle? New or rebuilt? (I hope it wasn't from AutoCrap.)

Lastly is a torque converter issue, but this could also be related to "universal transmission fluid" that was put in. All those quick lube places use a universal unless you make them get the real fluid for the car. A TCC slip with the TCM applying full pressure will cause a shudder. It will also do it with a failing one way clutch. Have you noticed what the rpm is doing when it shudders?

I'll give you an example for fluid type: A friend works at a Jiffy Lube over in Round Rock and a Subaru CVT came in for a service. An oil change. The pit guy drained the CVT. Oops. They filled it with their "universal" fluid, or they said they filled it, and did not tell the owner about the F-Up. My friend told them it was a mistake to put the fluid in, he drives an 11 Outback and had been out for lunch at the time, but the management and the idiot "mechanic" insisted the fluid said it was good for Subaru CVT so they had rolled it. He told me this and I told him they should call the owner and have them bring it back in before something happens. 3 days went by and the owner came in on her own because the car was "shifting odd". They then admitted their error to her and called up Subaru for the correct fluid and flushed it out. Apparently they got it changed out fast enough to prevent damage and the second go round he said they actually looked up how to adjust the level and used a scan tool to fill it.

The 4EAT is the same in some ways. The fluid is designed to operate at a specific temperature range while supplying sufficient pressure and flow capabilities along with friction. Universal fluids can't do that and may be your problem. HP fluid needs to go in, but the damage may already be done. I'd do about 3 drain - fill - drive cycles to get it flushed; unless you have a machine to do it. Regardless of whether it's the torque converter or not, If you plan on keeping the car for a long term I'd get that fluid out to save the clutches. Especially the MPT diff clutch pack. Next thing you may be getting torque bind.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is GREAT!! Thank you. I’ve got a nasty hunch it does have something to do with the transmission! Is it my best bet to just go and get the flush/right fluid at the dealer?

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,297 Posts
That, or Advance A/P can get the Idemitsu via WorldPac. Unless you know someone with a commercial account with WorldPac. Also eBay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts