Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealership does not currently have the exact car I am interested in (2013 Subaru Outback Limited), so I will be ordering one. If I add wheel arch molding and side molding to the car, do they get installed at the factory or in port? If in port, where is this done for cars headed to Washington State dealerships? What is the process used to prep the car for installation of this type of accessories? I just want to make sure that, by choosing these options, I don’t risk subjecting the paint to harsh auto car washes or brushes.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
The dealership does not currently have the exact car I am interested in (2013 Subaru Outback Limited), so I will be ordering one. If I add wheel arch molding and side molding to the car, do they get installed at the factory or in port? If in port, where is this done for cars headed to Washington State dealerships? What is the process used to prep the car for installation of this type of accessories? I just want to make sure that, by choosing these options, I don’t risk subjecting the paint to harsh auto car washes or brushes.
2013 Subaru Outbacks are assembled in the U.S. in the State if Indiana. You can order anything you want and most stuff is added in the factory and some are added by the dealer.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
There is no prep for wheel archs. The BSM gets alcohol wipedown where they will be installed so the sticky tape will stick. The car is shipped with various protective film that is removed during dealer prep. Unless your dealer runs it through a carwash after prep it will be hand/pressure washed on the lot. Someone around here asked the dealer to leave tape on for delivery but I don't know if the dealer ever agreed.

I have heard of many different "ports" where things are installed. Next to the factory, Long Beach, SF Bay area and Washington state somewhere are the only places I've heard of on the west coast. I would guess because Imprezas are delivered there. Since all OB's are US made my guess is OB stuff gets installed at the factory "port" in Indiana. I base that on my 2011 special order that never went to any of those other places.

You should request a chance to give your new car a good once over before signing papers. On a special order the dealer isn't inclined to screw it up and have to order another. Relax, your new baby will be fine.:29:

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I'm not aware of any car dealer prepping a new car by sending it through a car wash with rotating brushes. Hand wash only in the back lot under a canopy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
upflying
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing