Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 outback XT. When I stop the car and shut off the engine, a few of the accessories continue to operate for a few minutes, like the windows and the radio. Is there any way to adjust the amount of time that these devices stay on?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
1,212 Posts
Will be interesting to see if there is an option, but why bother? It's only for a short time and the power consumption is low, especially if you don't operate the windows, so there's no harm. In cases like that, providing an option is usually not cost effective.

I've parked and shut off my engine, then realized that since I'm the one who's not getting out, was thankful that I could operate the windows without having to turn on the accessory power again. The one that always irked me was the headlights on my Camry that would stay on for about 2 minutes (and they weren't LED) when I never needed that, but that was easy to defeat.

·
Registered
255 Posts
There is one trick to keep all the accessories on (like if you’re waiting in the car for an extended period and want to listen to the radio). Just shut off the engine while the car is still in drive, once turned off then shift into park. Accessories will remain on until you open a door.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AK202: thank you. I am, and have been, well aware that I can keep the accessories on without the engine. I was hoping to shorten the amount of time the accessory stayed on after I turned off the ignition; mainly, the radio (I keep the radio on 99% of the time.)

Micron: I certainly see your point and I have benefited many times because the accessories stayed on. The reason I want to shorten the period is because, on several occasions I didn’t know if the car was off. A couple of times I’ve even left it on although I thought it wasn’t; only to come back later and find the car was still running. I guess, like everything in life, there’s the good news and then there’s the bad news!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
A couple of times I’ve even left it on although I thought it wasn’t; only to come back later and find the car was still running.
That doesn't sound right. I shut off the engine, then if I sit long enough radio goes off and windows don't work. If I don't sit, as soon as I open the door the radio shuts off. You're saying you can return much later and find these things still operating? How much later?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is correct. The radio shuts off when i open the door or wait 3 minutes. What I'm saying is sometimes I just get confused about whether the car is actually off or not because the radio is still on and sometimes, when I thought I turned the engine off, and I didn't, I don't notice the radio is still playing after I open the door. Thus, leaving the car running. My thinking was if I could make the radio shut off at the same time I shut the engine off, I wouldn't have the problem.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
sometimes ... I don't notice the radio is still playing after I open the door
I could make the radio shut off at the same time I shut the engine off,
I'm afraid you've got yourself a no-win situation there. How are you going to realize the radio shuts off with the engine if you're not noticing whether or not it's on when you open the door? Maybe being distracted is your main issue. My car beeps if I try to walk away with the fob and the engine is running (only have tried once and that was on purpose). If you're not hearing those beeps, you must be leaving the fob behind (I think that's a bad idea) or you're not focused on what you're doing. I have a friend who can unintentionally walk away with the engine running. In her case I'd call that absent-mindedness because it's evident in several other ways.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Don't start making assumptions about my age. I am not that far behind.
But hey, if I speak the truth, don't shoot the messenger either.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,216 Posts
It may seem crazy to do this but you can put the car in park, engage the parking brake, shut off the car, open and close the driver's door, and watch the display turn off before getting out if you want positive verification everything is off.

Alternately there is a little starlink light in the overhead console when the car is on and you can see that from the outside if you crouch down.

Reactions: AK202

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did make the assumption. My bad. And I've no intention of shooting the messenger! I definitely get the message!

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,751 Posts
And for those of us with models before this feature was added at all we just wish we could still have the radio on and accessories working after the engine is shut off.
Other than my Outback, with every other car I have owned that was built in this century the radio would stay on after the key was removed from the ignition and shut off when the driver's door opened.

·
Registered
Outback 2021 Premium 2.5L
473 Posts
It may seem crazy to do this but you can put the car in park, engage the parking brake, shut off the car, open and close the driver's door, and watch the display turn off before getting out if you want positive verification everything is off.
I do that sorta..... but just press the lock on the fob twice to make sure the delay is short-circuited and everything shut down.

Reactions: SilverOnyx
1 - 14 of 14 Posts