Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
- I have just purchased a 2013 Outback Limited.
- I have a VAir 73P tire inflater that pulls 14 amps which corresponds to 168 watts.
- The Subaru manual says that the maximum wattage for the 12 volt accessory power outlets is 120 watts total for all three outlets.
- Fuse #20 in the passenger compartment is rated as 10A (120 watts) for "Accessory power outlet". (That makes sense according to the above)
- But fuse #13 is rated at 20A (240 watts) for "Socket".

My question is: What is "Socket"? Might that be the 12 volt power outlet in the cargo area and could I plug the 14 amp tire inflater into that outlet?

Don't tell me to get a manual pump ... Got one.

Thanks

·
Registered
18,285 Posts
If the 2013 is the same as the previous years, fuse #20 powers the single outlet in the front cabin area and fuse #13 powers the other two outlets -- the one in the center console and the one in the rear cargo area.

Each socket(and it's associated wiring) is rated for a maximum of 120 Watts.

So to your question, the answer would appear to be "no"; a 14 Amp air pump should not be connected to any of the outlets.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I guess my only option would be to get an adapter that would connect the 12 volt air pump cord directly to the battery. Air pumps that pull 120 watts (10 amps) or less take forever to fill a tire.

·
Registered
2008 subaru outback 2.5i
472 Posts
Yes I would not run that pump off any 12v socket in the cabin... Do it right and get a adapter to connect to the battery : ) Your Pump will be happy

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 CVT
2 Posts
If the 2013 is the same as the previous years, fuse #20 powers the single outlet in the front cabin area and fuse #13 powers the other two outlets -- the one in the center console and the one in the rear cargo area.

Each socket(and it's associated wiring) is rated for a maximum of 120 Watts.

So to your question, the answer would appear to be "no"; a 14 Amp air pump should not be connected to any of the outlets.
I have a 2012. When I apply constant power to the branch off of #13, I can hear a relay engage... any ideas? Powering up the branch off of #20 works great for the front. I'd really like all three with constant power.

P.S. I agree with the dedicated circuits for pumps etc, I'm just charging a phone in the front and a laptop in the back...

Cheers,

·
Registered
18,285 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "apply constant power to the branch off of #13,". What connections are being made, from where to where?

Circuits in these cars are interconnected. There's a possibility that, in effect, you're applying power to more than you think. But that depends on what it is you're doing. More information needed.

Oh, and check the power requirements of the laptop when charging. Are you charging directly from the 12 V or through an inverter? If the latter, don't underestimate the current drain.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 CVT
2 Posts
Thanks for the response. Applying power to the branch just means I applied my constant 12V+ to that circuit.

You are right, I was applying power to more than I thought because I had my fuse adapter in backwards and I was powering up the buss rather than just the branch. Yet as I had the fuse in my adapter, I was seeing the effect I wanted as well! Doh!

As for my laptop, 40W charge at (hopefully) 80% efficient inverter, should make for about 4A nominal. Good point though, as some laptops top 120W. Laptop battery itself is about 80Wh, which a complete charge could drain roughly 10% of the car battery. In any case, most laptops should be fine on a cigar socket...

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,780 Posts
Funny, I looked at my air pump now, only because of this thread. It is 14 AMP.

I have been using it for four years now as the exclusive way of taking care of my tires, doing usually both cars at the same time, plugging it more often into my Legacy than my B9. Used several times plugged into the OB already.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts