Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the valve stem caps for my OB. Had to wait a couple of weeks for them to come in.

I had some similar caps on my VW and really liked the detail. Anyway, the caps really don't fit the OB's stems very well (see the attachments).

So, I email Subaru of America. Long story short, they're sending my pictures up to R&D and sending me a check for 2x what I paid for the things....

The caps themselves also felt kinda cheap. Plastic even.

Attachments

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I might missed your point. What is wrong with the original ones so you needed to buy new caps?
I like the detail of the Subaru logo. And on the VW liked the detail of that logo too. Just personal taste. Nothing more, nothing less.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
......The caps themselves also felt kinda cheap. Plastic even.
They are plastic. If you tighten them too much you can "pop" the top off.

I might missed your point. What is wrong with the original ones so you needed to buy new caps?
The STI ones are good for 3-4 HP easy. I could tell right away when I put mine on.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Here's a good one to consider. A few years back, I found some really neat aluminum motorcycle valve caps and put them on another car. Drove it thru the winter and when I went to check the tires, the caps were frozen, as in corroded, on to the valve stems. I had to have the stems cut off.

Well I had a heck of a fight with the company that made the stems. They claimed that since they were for motorcycles, I made the error and they were free and clear. I pointed out that in the catalog I found them there was no mention of seasonality in use. After a bit of pushing back and forth, they coughed up the cash for the repair.

Learned my lesson.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
While we're on the subject, I once bought valve stem caps that showed whether the tires were properly inflated. You could see a little green pressure number when they were within the cap's rating or red when they were too low. One my tires when flat despite my careful use of these special pressure indicator caps. The plastic window on one of the stem caps broke out (rubbed a curb or something) and it let all of the air out of the tire. lol

·
Registered
3,567 Posts

The caps are tacky. Shoulda bought the muffler polish.

·
Registered
557 Posts
While we're on the subject, I once bought valve stem caps that showed whether the tires were properly inflated. You could see a little green pressure number when they were within the cap's rating or red when they were too low. One my tires when flat despite my careful use of these special pressure indicator caps. The plastic window on one of the stem caps broke out (rubbed a curb or something) and it let all of the air out of the tire. lol
i had a set on my '96 maxima back in the day... someone wanted them more then me!

joel

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
What is wrong with the original ones so you needed to buy new caps?
The OEM stems & caps that came on my 2011 are probably
the highest quality rubber/plastic models I've ever seen.

...if it ain't broke, you haven't customized it enough,

Looby

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
If you don't remove the blingy caps a thief will do it for you.

·
Registered
589 Posts
So, I email Subaru of America. Long story short, they're sending my pictures up to R&D and sending me a check for 2x what I paid for the things....

The caps themselves also felt kinda cheap. Plastic even.
:19: They told me the same thing a year ago when I bought them! Although, they used to be chrome coated brass. Definitely metal of some sort. I liked them, got BMW and VW and the Kawasaki "K" versions for the other vehicles. Guess they didn't do much of the "D" part of R&D.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Whenever I need a valve stem cap, I buy five for a quarter at Walmart
You can get as many as you want, for FREE...

...in the Walmart parking lot,

Looby

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
12 Participants
I call her Sheila
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing