Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...we bought a 2017 Outback last year. Love the car. Yesterday, a colleague gave me a lift in her 2018 Outback...and I was wowed by the Android Auto integration. Looks like we bought one year too early. My understanding is that this is only "do-able" from 2018 onward. Is there a way to update the software onboard so I can partake in the same fun? I'd love to cast the display from the app to the actual center console onboard.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
Many have asked the same question and the answer from those smarter than me say no. Apparently it involves more than software. They are different manufacturer and are not interchangeable. My son (who is a Subaru tech) says he will gladly take your $1500 2017 HU if you want to put in an aftermarket HU that is Android Auto compatible.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Limited
104 Posts
I wonder if it's possible to just purchase an entire head unit from an '18 and just swap it in? I've got a '16 and would REALLY like to do this as well.

I'll do the research one of these days. If anyone has an answer/experience with this please chime in!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wonder if it's possible to just purchase an entire head unit from an '18 and just swap it in? I've got a '16 and would REALLY like to do this as well.

I'll do the research one of these days. If anyone has an answer/experience with this please chime in!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
I'd love to hear what you found. I have a call in to the Subaru dealership near me. Haven't heard back yet

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 2.5i Touring
315 Posts
There's another thread or two here I've read in the past where the conclusion seemed to be that swapping in a 2018 HU for a 2017 HU was not doable or was so complicated and required so much other work that an aftermarket HU was more realistic / cost-effective for anyone who really wanted Carplay / AA integration, or who needed to replace a HU for some other reason. No time to search for them - but a bit of time searching here might pull-up more details for you all.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'd love to hear what you found. I have a call in to the Subaru dealership near me. Haven't heard back yet

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Yeah, just like Cortelli says, all of my searches pretty much led to a dead end. Sucks because they look so similar, but they're just so different! I really don't want to put an aftermarket unit in there either.

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon - White pearl - 302,000 km
466 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
Registered
2015 OB Limited 3.6R - Wilderness Green
13 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
136 Posts
mlecho, don't worry about missing out on the 2018 head unit. You dodged a bullet with that hot mess. I was planning on waiting until the 2018 models were available before buying my Outback, but fate intervened and I couldn't wait another few months.

The Android based head units have been very tempting to me. Most are plug and play. Since they are Android based, they work a lot like an Android tablet. That means you can download Google maps and Google navigation. You can use your phone as a WiFi hotspot or buy a data plan for the head unit through a cell phone company. The high prices and lack of reliable reviews have stopped me from actually buying one.

I would prefer to hack into and reprogram my existing head unit. The hardware in it should be able to support Android Auto since the existing MirrorLink is a competing product. I personally lack the skills to do this but I know the skills are out there. Anyone remember the HP Touchpad? The developer community figured out a way to get an Android operating system running on them.

·
Registered
466 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've installed a few units from this company. The quality is similar to the Joying brand. They work very well.
Hi, OlgaOutback or anyone. Sorry to intrude on the outback forums but I have a little brother to the outback a 2015 legacy and got a Seicane radio (big mistake) Ive had nothing but trouble and can't get any help from them, so scouring the internet my friend recommended the Outback forums and I saw you've installed some,

I'm in need of help, nothing works, they gave me some dodgy connector that's not even right. Audio doesn't work and its been tracked down to the amp enable line for HK but looking through the service manual it appears its some communication protocol, not an enable line.

Also how does one hook up steering wheel controls? again they have a serial interface lines for it but thats not how the car works

Any ideas? thanks.. :crying:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Hi, OlgaOutback or anyone. Sorry to intrude on the outback forums but I have a little brother to the outback a 2015 legacy and got a Seicane radio (big mistake) Ive had nothing but trouble and can't get any help from them, so scouring the internet my friend recommended the Outback forums and I saw you've installed some,

I'm in need of help, nothing works, they gave me some dodgy connector that's not even right. Audio doesn't work and its been tracked down to the amp enable line for HK but looking through the service manual it appears its some communication protocol, not an enable line.

Also how does one hook up steering wheel controls? again they have a serial interface lines for it but thats not how the car works

Any ideas? thanks.. :crying:
I have no experience installing them in any vehicle beyond 2010. I know for some makes, there are canbus interfaces that are needed for steering wheel controls and other systems to function properly. I have mostly installed them into 2000 - 2010 vehicles. You may want to try looking at Crutchfield or CarID for aftermarket interfaces. Seicane and Joying do make decent units. Which one did you buy? Was it the S081992F?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but as I am a new outback owner I felt I would mention that Mazda came out with an update for their vehicles. It involved both hardware and software but was ~$300 OTD. As complex as these head units are, I feel they could probably make a harness and software update to bring them into the 21st Century.

I cannot express my annoyance at not being able to hear anything over the bluetooth connection because of crappy volume at times.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
143 Posts
Great HU and Cruchfield's Installation Instructions are second to none!

If all else fails find a good tech at the nearest Best Buy and let them do their magic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but as I am a new outback owner I felt I would mention that Mazda came out with an update for their vehicles. It involved both hardware and software but was ~$300 OTD. As complex as these head units are, I feel they could probably make a harness and software update to bring them into the 21st Century.

I cannot express my annoyance at not being able to hear anything over the bluetooth connection because of crappy volume at times.
I have a 2017 Outback and found this thread because I purchased the Mazda upgrade for my Miata for $150 and assumed there must be something similar for the Outback. Can't believe Mazda is offering this and Subaru is not. Purchasing a $1200 aftermarket HU is ridiculous when a fairly simple upgrade should be ~10% of the cost.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My daily commuter is a Mazda 3, and Mazda retroactively added Android Auto/Carplay as an option you could have installed at a dealership. I've heard $400, for my 3, so not maybe your dealer has better prices than mine does. I bring it up because one thing involved with that I hadn't previously thought about was that the USB plugs need to be upgraded as well because the factory ones are only for charging, not transferring data.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts