Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '13 OB Limited ( LOVE IT!). I bought it w/o Nav/eyesight as I really didn't need the Nav (thank you google/android). I was wondering if you could add the backup camera to my configuration.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Sure! You can procure all of the OEM equipment and it appear factory or you can get stuff from other sources and use an aftermarket camera and mirror or some other monitor. You could get a camera and an aftermarket in dash monitor and have it display there. I have both the OEM unit with the screen in the rear view mirror and a second camera for the aftermarket nav unit I added to the dash.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
you can get a nice camera off ebay for $25 and hook it up to a cheap monitor. i still haven't hooked mine up yet but its amazing how big the outback is compared to my wife's impreza 5 dr.

·
Registered
37 Posts
when installing rear view camera in wifes tribeca, all the wire harness connections were there. i didnt use oem camera cuz of cost but it would have been a breeze as this car has the nav screen which is also used for camera. were i to do it again i would have sprung for oem camera

so.... u should be able to buy oem rear view mirror with screen in it and oem camera and just add it to car. i would bet money the harness is in place.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Droidster:
Your wiring harness should be in place. From what I remember when I looked into this all Limited come with the harness in place.
When I reseached it I found this camera which was an excellent choice
CCD Sony Car Reverse Backup Camera for Subaru Forester Outback Impreza Sedan | eBay

Excellent low cost CCD camera which fits right in one of the license plate lights and this monitor which is a plug and play
Rear View Mirror 3 5"Backup Camera Display Fit Honda Civic Accord Odyssey Subaru | eBay

I had planned to do this for a friend's new Forester but she decided to get a smaller car.

If I was looking to install a backup camera in my OB if I didn't have one the above system is what I would use doing a cost vs performance comparision.
Hope this helps some...

·
Registered
832 Posts
I bought one of the cheap Sony units for our OB as well as one to possibly replace the old BOYO unit I put on my Accord years ago. It's similar in quality to the OEM unit that Subaru uses but not near as good as the unit I already have on the Accord. I don't know if there is an option for a better unit that is housed for the OB but I still have the extra one that is for the Accord on the shelf and left the BOYO on there.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 2010 Outback Limited to which I installed the Sony CCD camera referred to on Ebay to an aftermarket head unit. There was no factory wiring for the camera.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I thought the 2013 limited with the HK system (non-NAV) had the camera already - I was looking at one at the dealer a while back, and saw it in action... odd that yours doesn't have it. There's even a pic on the cars101 site showing it in action

For the harness, based on the '12 service manual (assuming '13 is similar) there is an "extension cable" which goes from a connector on the main rear harness (on the drivers side of the car) then extends into the liftgate where the camera is. I would guess that would be omitted if there were no camera, but the connector on the main harness should be there, i think... The legacy is similar in that there is a harness which goes into the liftgate which is different when the camera is present (one version has the connector, the other does not - also, for the legacy there is one version of the trunk lid which has the cutout for the camera, and another where it has not been punched out)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Can anyone confirm this is correct?

I want to add the backup camera mirror to my 2010 Legacy Limited. Mine already has the Homelink/Compass/Autodim mirror, HK w/ no Nav.
willcycle is correct. I too have a 2010 Limited non-nav and there is no wiring present in the harnesses for the B/U camera system. I have the wiring diagram and chased the wires to be sure. I installed a system made up from a CCD camera from Ebay and seperate monitor affixed to the windshield just above the right side of the rearview mirror. Total cost $45 and 2 hours time. Well worth the investment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I ant to install the Homelink/Compass/Autodim mirror Rear view monitor in my Subaru Outback Premium, with no moonroof instead just Homelink/Compass/Autodim mirror. I was reading the forum, and found the camera and the mirror.. and the installer too. The question is that I found cheaper mirror on ebay, it is used and has only a pigtail, instead all wire. Will I be able to install it with existing wire plus the one for reverse trigger and video? Or I'd better to buy a full kit (about $200 more)
Or it is not hard to get a general wire for this purpose.
I have no knowledge in electrics, and this mirror is not cheap, so I really want to know if I am not doing anything wrong.
Thanks.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Pretty sure all the back up camera systems today are wireless meaning the camera is wired for power at the backup tail light and sends video via wireless feed to the receiver. Receiver can be the slick review mirror with inset small screen which is the most natural and logically located set up or to a dash mounted screen ie NAV unit etc.

Installing them these days are fairly simple due to this wireless aspect of the video feed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Camera is CCD Sony, it is not wireless, mirror is Gentex GENK3345 but with no wire, only pigtail. As I understand there should be wire for video (may be from camera) then for reverse shift, for mirror to show camera and for camera to activate (that I guess is connected to back lights, but do I need wire for mirror too?) I can buy mirror with no additional wire, but is it easy to find out what wire I need and get it after, or I have to get the complete unit. New mirror cost like a laptop with 17" screen.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Droidster:
Your wiring harness should be in place. From what I remember when I looked into this all Limited come with the harness in place.
When I reseached it I found this camera which was an excellent choice
CCD Sony Car Reverse Backup Camera for Subaru Forester Outback Impreza Sedan | eBay

Excellent low cost CCD camera which fits right in one of the license plate lights and this monitor which is a plug and play
Rear View Mirror 3 5"Backup Camera Display Fit Honda Civic Accord Odyssey Subaru | eBay

I had planned to do this for a friend's new Forester but she decided to get a smaller car.

If I was looking to install a backup camera in my OB if I didn't have one the above system is what I would use doing a cost vs performance comparision.
Hope this helps some...
Thank you for the links!!!

I searched and searched ebay for a camera like that.

My rearview mirror in my Forester is pretty baddly strached from the previous owner.. :confused:. So I figured I'd just throw in a rearview unit while I'm at it. For $20 why not?

·
Registered
279 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
vr4:
Glad it helped you out. Where the camera comes I don't know but those are the links that others have used in other forums with success...
I had planned to replace an OEM Subaru Forester mirror and add the camera. Person changed their mind. Love to know how this works out...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
15 Participants
kingluke
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing