Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I covet the new SAP's side mirrors with integrated turn signals (which Suby had in prior generations, including my 2005 legacy gt), but got rid of for some reason). I think a key safety feature.

Any suggestions on how I can buy the side mirrors from the 2013 SAP, which apparently has this feature?

I just bought a 2013 Limited (graphite grey), which lacks the integrated turn signals. How easy to wire them on, since my current mirrors lack the turn signal wires?

Thoughts on how the color will look? Apparently the SAP mirrors are grey, no matter what the color of the car. True? How does a non-matching color side mirror look on the SAP cars you've seen (brown, black, white, according to the site)?

Thanks for any suggestions/ideas!

·
Registered
223 Posts
inquiring minds want to know on wiring.

yes, the SAP side mirrors only come in Grey regardless of color of car. I would say look at the photos all over the site to see what they would look like. I think they would look on all colors, but that is personal opinion.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Don't forget the grille, wheels and door handles also get a different grey treatment. They might all accent each other where one by itself might stick out. Sounds like a job for photoshop.

The only source for the mirrors is the dealer.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Tapping onto the turn signals isn't too hard. If I were to guess I'd say the body harness lacks the actual wiring even though the harness plugs are probably the same. With a little time and a few feet of 16 awg wire should be all you need to get them working.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I'm waiting for the first person to post they have finally done this. Then I can steal their steps and avoid their problems.

But don't tell anyone.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Very interested here as well, although I would probably want to paint the mirrors as gray and silver would clash...

·
Registered
128 Posts
anyone find a solution for this? Is there even a part number for this? Adding this feature would be fun and look great!

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Mirrors

This may not be the answer but I tried similar task on on my 2010 Forester as I wanted to add heated rear view mirrors and it's a nightmare; you have to unglue mirrors, add heating coils, etc, etc. - and the wiring wasn't there (like it is pre-wired for subwoofers, inside rear-vier mirror/compass). That was doable but unless you are mechanically skilled (I am sure most of you are) and have some engineering background it's a pain - I had step-by-step instructions how to add heating there and how to take the mirrors apart, but I've chucked those, when I got rid of the Forester....I am not sure then, how to add "turn" signal features...unless you replace the whole mirror but the wiring just may be not there!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm also interested in doing this. Are the 13s pre-wired, or would they only wire the SAPs? Would the forester mirrors be a direct bolt on? At least that way you could have matching colors.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I'm also interested in doing this. Are the 13s pre-wired, or would they only wire the SAPs? Would the forester mirrors be a direct bolt on? At least that way you could have matching colors.
I would guess only the SAP have the wiring.

I decided not to do this. I can't get the mirrors in my cars color and so adding paint (which I can do), wiring, (which I can do), and cost of $500+ in parts just wasn't worth it for me. I estimate it would take me at least a day to disassemble and reassemble it all after looking at so schematics of the doors.

IF someone were to do a how to, I might consider it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Turn signal mirror part numbers

I too am looking to make this upgrade to my new 2.5i Premium. I have part numbers for what appears to be the pieces needed, a left and right mirror "skin" and the two associated LED lamp assemblies. Don't have them with me right now, but can post later. I believe the cost (from memory) as $60 for each cover and $90 for each LED. These were obviously retail figures. I'm going to investigate the wiring shortly and will report what I come up with. The wiring isn't to bad but time consuming (I installed a set of my own making on a previous 2010 Limited 3.6R). :eek:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
The wiring would be....very time consuming. The little rubber hose thingy that has all of the wiring for the door in it is a PITA to get extra wiring through(i upgraded the wiring to my speakers to 16G.) I personally would not be able to get another 16g through there. its very tight. After that you are home free.
Go through the fire wall, add in the relay, hook to turn signals.

As for paint....use black plastidip. No reason to make it all pretty, its going to get jacked up any how.

If you really wanted oem paint you could just buy the LED's and cut it out on your covers to fit. OR give someone $120 to do it(cost of the OEM covers). unless they are completely different.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
i dont really want it anymore, you're right way too time consuming and would end up costing too much. i smack my mirrors on branches all the time. the whole vehicle will just get covered in bedliner anyway.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Part numbers for turn signal parts for mirrors

Found my paperwork - the parts manager at the local dealership knew what I was looking for and printed out a page from his online parts systems that show what is supposed to be the entire mirror assembly from a 2013 Outback with the special appearance package.

Assuming that one would just need the LED light assembly and the associated cover, here's what the printout shows:

RH LED lamp: 84401B
LH LED lamp: 84401D
RH cover: 91054D
LH cover: 91054E

Looks as though the lamp attaches to the "innards" of mirror with two screws on each side (four total) PN: 91039C.

A question here would be what the LED assembly attaches to inside the mirror, and moreso if the non-turn signal internals have the proper place for the LED to attach to.

The LED's were $90 each, the covers were $60 each.

I'm going to see if I can confirm (or not) whether the wiring might be in the existing connector, but most likely there'll be a couple of empty cavities in the Molex plug only.

If anyone can tell me how to remove the existing cover without damage (must just snap on), I'll pop one off to see if there's a place to mount the LED. If not, one would probably have to pretty much purchase the entire mirror - likely $500 or more per side. :confused::confused:

·
Registered
223 Posts
on my 06 legacy, I had to replace the cap and LED signal because I was a bonehead and ran the mirror into a cement pillar. I had to take the mirror off (tilt mirror completely to the sky and then there is a clip at the bottom that is a that you just have to gently/with force remove and then tilt it up and it pops off. then everything was straight forward.

·
Registered
35 Posts
also very interested in this. i'm dying for a black outback with SAP, but can't justify trading in my 11 just yet, since i calready traded a 10 for an 11 7 months after buying it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
22 Participants
JW1
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing