Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
12,877 Posts
What the tear down video neglected was what caused the slipping in the first place. That CVT came out of a N/A car and most likely had really old fluid in it or a failure with the valve body; possibly both.

Like any bump in output, everything has to be matched. I'm surprised my trans lasted as long as it did. One of these days we'll figure out how to manipulate the TCM.

I'm all for experimentation. Trial and error wins over not doing anything at all.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
689 Posts
^ yeah it is never answered, I was just referencing it to show what happens when that chain does slip. CVT videos are not very common in YT land.

This thread should be about adding a huffer on a 3.6! ?
you can up to 496HP from Raptor inc, above that they say not recommended for CVT

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,504 Posts
What the tear down video neglected was what caused the slipping in the first place. That CVT came out of a N/A car and most likely had really old fluid in it or a failure with the valve body; possibly both.

Like any bump in output, everything has to be matched. I'm surprised my trans lasted as long as it did. One of these days we'll figure out how to manipulate the TCM.

I'm all for experimentation. Trial and error wins over not doing anything at all.
I keep researching about swapping the final drive on mine.

And or swapping the MPT center to VTD.

The HT TR690 in the WRX has the VTD CENTER.

Do you think it would be an issue swapping the center from the WRX TR690?

The sensor is different but it looks like the CANBUS systems use the rear ABS sensors to measure rear wheel speed.

Not like the VTD/VDC on the Baja.

The Ascent also has 4.44 final drive which would make my larger tires happier.

Give me a slight bump in crawl ratio too.

The trade off is I would be spinning faster than 2000 rpm at 80 mph but I think I'm willing to do that.

·
Premium Member
12,877 Posts
@Brucey I am not sure about the newer models and the CVT when it comes to swapping the MPT for a VTD. I know the owners that put down a lot of power in Foresters have swapped the VTD in to their rides to make it RWD and get down the strip w/o front torque. Others have done it to have full time AWD and handle the added torque output. ('06-'08) - MPT to VTD conversion

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,504 Posts
@Brucey I am not sure about the newer models and the CVT when it comes to swapping the MPT for a VTD. I know the owners that put down a lot of power in Foresters have swapped the VTD in to their rides to make it RWD and get down the strip w/o front torque. Others have done it to have full time AWD and handle the added torque output. ('06-'08) - MPT to VTD conversion
Based on tear downs I've been reading into the VTD bolts on the rear. Same as the 4EAT.

I'm almost positive it will work mechanically but it's the electrical stuff I question.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2014 outback special edition package. Eyesight, CVT and 2.5i boxster engine. I would like to add both horsepower and torque. The car is my daily driver and I plan on doing some off road adventuring and may even try ralley racing.

I want to consider adding a blower and wonder in a supercharger is an option. As well as turbocharger.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Fugetabouit, buy a mitsubishi delicia 2.8 intercooled turbo or a 4 runner or a cheep jeep, don't waste your money

·
Registered
2011 outback 3.6R LT. 2015 Outback 2.5 (white) eyesight, tow pakage, skid plate, moon roof
393 Posts
I have a 2014 outback special edition package. Eyesight, CVT and 2.5i boxster engine. I would like to add both horsepower and torque. The car is my daily driver and I plan on doing some off road adventuring and may even try ralley racing.

I want to consider adding a blower and wonder in a supercharger is an option. As well as turbocharger.

Any advice would be appreciated!
What You been smokin Mate!!! Are camshafts the same , Crankshaft same valves etc. What about gear ratios. Suggest you trade for one so equipped from factory. I imagine more people want to get riid of turbos than acquiere one.

·
Premium Member
12,877 Posts
@Brucey
The MPT clutch control is a phase in where the VTD is either on or off. Maybe check with Ed at XRT and see if he's been able to manipulate CVT programming yet. Otherwise you'd have to disable AWD, turn off the diff control, to keep from burning up the VTD clutch plates.

I'll look in to it more. I don't recall anyone wanting to swap in a VTD on a MPT CVT. It's worked in the past in the 4EAT, so something may be possible.

Have to get my hands on a new gen to log transmission control. ?

21 - 30 of 30 Posts