Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched, and I don't see anything on this. There are 2 plugs in my console where the heated seat switches would go, but what model gets them - WRX? If I were to find a pair of factory heated front seats, how big a to-do would it be to wire them up with the factory switches in the proper place?

It appears WRX seats aren't that hard to come by (the kids love to "upgrade" them to racing seats...), are they all heated, would they be plug/play with a non-WRX?

thanks,
-Peter
02 OBS 30K miles, still bone stock (real stereo and remote starter coming soon)

·
Registered
2004 OBS 5MT
42 Posts
Heated seats are standard issue on the Canadian-market OBS and WRX, but the only way to get factory heated seats in the US is on the '04+ WRX sedan as part of the premium package--not all WRXs have them.

Not sure how much of the wiring for the heated seats would actually exist on cars that didn't have the heaters from the factory.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I'm only about 40 miles from Canada (1.5 hours from Montreal) so perhaps I should start looking up north :) Heated Canadian OBS seats would be cloth, correct?

Youd' be surprised how much wiring is in every car for every option it *might* have come with... but I haven't looked inside my console yet.

I may just end up going "aftermarket" (there are a few retro-fitting solutions for factory seats) for the driver side only.

Then again - I've only had the car a few months. I'm going to put a remote starter in it, I may find that I don't need heated seats!

My father's Infiniti (2002 I-35) has a heated STEERING WHEEL. Now THAT'S luxury!

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
Pete--

you're prob right on the wiring on chassis being there. this has been my experience too, ditto mounting points and weld nuts on body shell for various options, seat configurations, etc. the 02 WRX seats i got don't have any sort of wiring or connectors that might be for butt heat tho...just the side airbag wire and what i presume is a sensor for the "seat belt" warning light.

and thanks for answering the Q i don't think i'd even posted yet, abt what those blanking plates for switches near the p-brake handle are intended for. is this list great or what?? :15:

bw

·
Registered
2004 OBS 5MT
42 Posts
Yup, the seats out of a Canadian OBS are identical to the American ones except they're heated. Same tweedy upholstery and everything. The switches have high and low settings for the heat. The high setting heats up pretty fast and that's what I usually use. Really good for your back after that long day at work.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great - now if someone could just direct me to a decent used parts/auto salvage business in the Montreal area... haven't been able to find any used heated Impreza seats stateside (except for some STi seats with side airbags and at $800/pair, no thanks!)

Captain - the pair of blanks is for the seats, the single blank lower down is (I'm guessing) for the sunroof; there's another mystery blank on the dash next to the cruise/fog switches that I haven't been able to deduce the purpose of, from the manual (which is how I was sure about the seat switches)

Yes, this list is great - how did people ever get by without the Internet?? :rolleyes:

-Peter

·
Registered
2004 OBS 5MT
42 Posts
Actually, the sunroof switch is on the ceiling and since the 2004 owner's manual has STi info in it, I can say that the blank on the centre console is where the DCCD switch goes. Down on the left, depending on the model, those other blanks are for the heated windshield switch and intercooler spray switch. It sort of reminds me of the way VW used to do it, leaving all kinds of blanks on the dash to remind you of equipment you could have had!

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
the way VW used to do it, leaving all kinds of blanks on the dash to remind you of equipment you could have had!
or to give you lots of spaces to install switches etc.....even if not installing factory switch into the hole, i much prefer drilling holes and other such butchery in the little blanking plates to doing it in expensive and hard to replace parts of dash/console.

revealing my inabilityto crawl out of the mud on legs like my bretheren....what is DCCD?

·
Registered
2004 OBS 5MT
42 Posts
Driver Controlled Centre Differential. In the STi the driver can control the front/rear power distribution manually, if desired. As far as I know that's the only factory switch that fills that particular blank.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
thanks. wow...hadn't realized they had that altho it';s the logical hi-po outgrowth of the technology used to make the 4EAT do its thing. and intercooler spray bar....???!!!!

interesting when you think that this steroid-laden jap econobox would probably run at all but fastest courses (Spa, the Ring) nearly as fast as mid 60s F1 cars.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts