Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched all over this forum and never really found much but I am looking to add either some Hella or KC lights to the front of my 2010 Outback. My first thought was to add something like LP Aventure's bumper guard (http://bit.ly/2YJJ2gA) which would be something like this:

However, these and other bumper/grill guards are expensive and sometimes heaver.
Another option I saw was adding lights above the windshield to a rooftop basket. This is also shown in the picture above. With this option I have no idea how to get the wires up there to power and switch the lights and I feel this could be overly difficult.
The third option I have seen is to get a bull bar that sits just below the front license plate (https://amzn.to/2N0ikJw).
I think this would weight the least, and be easiest to wire however on certain models it requires parts of the lower grill to get cut out to accept the bar.

The main question is how have you added lights to your Outback and what method do you think is the best route to go?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I added this light/nudge bar and installed a light bar, and 2 small light pods. Purchased the wiring harness on Amazon for about #10 each. had to drop the bumper and drill 2 holes. not hard but took a little time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nice. I hate chrome, 'specialy on a trail car.
Also did the mirror side mirror caps, and trim around windows. And yes I hate chrome, unless on a Harley or 57 Chevy. Being from NYC, the car only sees a little trail use, But it is an Urban jungle down here!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I added this light/nudge bar and installed a light bar, and 2 small light pods. Purchased the wiring harness on Amazon for about #10 each. had to drop the bumper and drill 2 holes. not hard but took a little time.

Yeah that is like the one I was thinking about getting as well. I just found this option that is significantly cheaper but I don't know how well it will hold the weight. https://amzn.to/2Nb0tQn I was thinking of just doing this as a temporary thing until I get skids and a proper grill guard.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah that is like the one I was thinking about getting as well. I just found this option that is significantly cheaper but I don't know how well it will hold the weight. https://amzn.to/2Nb0tQn I was thinking of just doing this as a temporary thing until I get skids and a proper grill guard.
That one just mounts up to the license plate holes, If is just temp for $20 you can't go wrong. The one I have once mounted is solid.

Good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That one just mounts up to the license plate holes, If is just temp for $20 you can't go wrong. The one I have once mounted is solid.

Good luck
Yeah that's what I was thinking too! Probably going to pull the trigger on that today! My friend is replacing some old KC lights and hopefully 2 of the 4 are in working condition and I can use them.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My first thought was to add something like LP Aventure's bumper guard
I am a fan of the LP kit... I have the Large Brush Guard and Skid Plates. It was a breeze to install, with no modifications needed, and the guard hugs the lines of the car beautifully! It is a bit pricey... but in this case you really do get a GREAT looking package!

I then added a bar light and just ran the cable through the grille... no modifications, and no removal required... just a coat hanger and patience.. the hardest part was getting the switch for the lights into the cabin... I skipped the firewall, and just ran through the body panels and into the fuse box via the driver side door... not ideal... but does the trick for me...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am a fan of the LP kit... I have the Large Brush Guard and Skid Plates. It was a breeze to install, with no modifications needed, and the guard hugs the lines of the car beautifully! It is a bit pricey... but in this case you really do get a GREAT looking package!

I then added a bar light and just ran the cable through the grille... no modifications, and no removal required... just a coat hanger and patience.. the hardest part was getting the switch for the lights into the cabin... I skipped the firewall, and just ran through the body panels and into the fuse box via the driver side door... not ideal... but does the trick for me...
View attachment 469513
Yeah I am probably going to be doing the LP guard and skid. I never thought about running the cables how you did! That's actually a pretty smooth way to avoid needing to go through the firewall. Can we get some pictures of how your setup looks from the front?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah I am probably going to be doing the LP guard and skid. I never thought about running the cables how you did! That's actually a pretty smooth way to avoid needing to go through the firewall. Can we get some pictures of how your setup looks from the front?
There is a rubber grommet, behind the brake reservoir down and to the left. that you can run the wire through. It comes out on the cabin side, above the pedal arms.
I usually punch a hole and put the wires through and put some silicon to seal it

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I have heard of people doing that too. I will probably do that eventually when I get nicer lights but right now I'll probably do it though the door just as a temp solution. But thanks for the further information!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Can we get some pictures of how your setup looks from the front?
I've got another post on here somewhere...
But here is a pic with the XL Brushguard...
You can see I just ran the cable from my bar light straight back through the grille and to the harness there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've got another post on here somewhere...
But here is a pic with the XL Brushguard...
You can see I just ran the cable from my bar light straight back through the grille and to the harness there. View attachment 469558
That looks really nice! That guard is definitely on my someday list! Thanks for sharing! You wire the light bar up separate or tie it into the the fogs?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Has anyone used this?

Looks like a clean install but it is going to require small-ish lights in order to not be in the way of your vision. Curious what lights were used and what it looks like.

·
Registered
136 Posts
To solve the lighting problem on my 2017, I put high lumen LED bulbs in the fog light sockets. They were pretty expensive, about $60 each, but it helps a lot. They turn off when brights are activated. Have had no issues running all the time in city driving. Also added a 20” light bar in the lower grill. It has 9500 lumens and is controlled by a small toggle dash switch. I use it in the country when the possibility of hitting a deer or moose is high. With the LED’s in the fogs and they light bar, I can see a lot bette. Hope this is helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
You wire the light bar up separate or tie it into the the fogs?
Yea... I kept the light bar on an independent circuit... my primary use is area lighting for camping, so I wanted to be able to run with the engine off...

Ideally, as someone on hear pointed out, I would like to tap into the interior fuse panel for the control 12vdc for the relay, because as I have it wired now, I have an always hot fused12vdc, direct from the battery, running through the wires in the door...
(Relay is tucked under the hood near the battery)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts