Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yea... I kept the light bar on an independent circuit... my primary use is area lighting for camping, so I wanted to be able to run with the engine off...

Ideally, as someone on hear pointed out, I would like to tap into the interior fuse panel for the control 12vdc for the relay, because as I have it wired now, I have an always hot fused12vdc, direct from the battery, running through the wires in the door...
(Relay is tucked under the hood near the battery)
I figured just wondering how you went about it! But I agree I think I'll be wiring them separate for use when the car is off and so I can run my lights when the brights are on.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have not seen that approach before and that looks really slick! What generation Outback is that? The grill looks and lower half of the bumper looks a little different than what I am used to seeing.
it's late 3rd gen. the 2008s and 2009s use this grill and bumper combo. almost all Subarus have enough room to pull this off though. just mount directly to the bumper support and Dremel away the grill bits in the way.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have to KC ditch lights mounted on Patrick's light mounts. I ran the wire through the frame down the door jamb and poked a hole through a grommet to get it inside the cabin. I dont really notice them when I'm driving .

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
View attachment 470119 View attachment 470120 View attachment 470121

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
it's late 3rd gen. the 2008s and 2009s use this grill and bumper combo. almost all Subarus have enough room to pull this off though. just mount directly to the bumper support and Dremel away the grill bits in the way.
Ah that makes more sense! It looks really nice and looks like it functions pretty well for you as well!

·
Registered
73 Posts
See the pictures now! They look good, larger than I expected for ditch lights. What model KC's are those?
These are the C3 with spot light pattern. Super easy to install and adjust the positioning, and very bright. Glad I bought them and they help out when looking down the trail.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
These are the C3 with spot light pattern. Super easy to install and adjust the positioning, and very bright. Glad I bought them and they help out when looking down the trail.
Ah, I found them now! Not they look nice! I just got some old KC Apollo Halogens that I am in the process of adding to my front license plate mount. I just need to get them wired.

What mounts did you use for the lights? Do they get in the way of front visibility much or when opening the hood?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ah, I found them now! Not they look nice! I just got some old KC Apollo Halogens that I am in the process of adding to my front license plate mount. I just need to get them wired.

What mounts did you use for the lights? Do they get in the way of front visibility much or when opening the hood?
I used Anderson Design & Fab for the light brackets. No clearance issue with the lights mounted. I can open the hood all the way and it doesn't touch the windshield 👍

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thought I would add an update here. A friend of mine got new KC Halogen lights for his old '97 Jeep and was just going to throw out the 4 he had on his truck so he gave them to me. They are rusty and beat up but 2 of the 4 ended up still working. Installed them last week and they have been great except they point a little too high even for spot beams because of the mounting bracket. I'll be putting spacers under them later today along with installing Hella horns. Also the light/license plate mount was a little too loose and one of the two screws was pulled out by the automatic drive through car wash. I fixed this by switching to a bolt with a nut on the other side of the bumper and it is holding up much better. This also stopped the plate/lights from bouncing around the little bit they did when on a bumpy road. My intention is to get either new KC or Hella lights at some point when I get either a bull bar or grill guard, but as a temporary solution I don't think this looks too bad!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts