Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It might be too early, but has anyone looked into upgrading the rear springs on the 2012 to the "improved" 2013 rear springs? Wondering if it is possible...as in Subaru did not change the spring mounts or geometry.

My understanding is that in 2013 all Subaru changed to the rear suspension is an improved spring rate on the rear springs and added the 19mm RSB.
I also know they stregthened the frame rails, but from what I have read this change was aimed more at reducing driveline vibration.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
330 Posts
i assume they just increased the spring rate. ...length, diameter, and seats should be the same. ....however, changing the spring rate alone may not work very well without also changing the valving. did subaru also change the valving? i have no idea.

i haven't driven the 2013 yet ...so i cant say. ...but on my 2010, i always though the shocks could use more damping/rebound control. the springs appear to be fine.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
2013… Numerous enhancements to the body structure, suspension, and steering give the Outback an even smoother and quieter ride for 2013, while also helping to increase handling agility. Body roll has also been reduced by up to 40 percent.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
Snippet face value, I doubt RSB/rear-springs alone would bring (up to 40 percent) the 012 to 013.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
It might be too early, but has anyone looked into upgrading the rear springs on the 2012 to the "improved" 2013 rear springs? Wondering if it is possible...as in Subaru did not change the spring mounts or geometry.

My understanding is that in 2013 all Subaru changed to the rear suspension is an improved spring rate on the rear springs and added the 19mm RSB.
I also know they stregthened the frame rails, but from what I have read this change was aimed more at reducing driveline vibration.
Of course it's too early to tell, only the engineers at Subaru know the specific differences at this point.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
I'm waiting on this for my 2010 OB. First guess is that Subaru did not change the springs.

The most probable change would be different shocks with different rates - and for sure a different set of suspension bushings and - sway bars front and back. Heck just the change in shocks could make all the difference in how the Ob rides pair that with stiffer sway bars which are matched front and back and it could be a whole different experience driving the car.

·
Premium Member
2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
961 Posts
2013… Numerous enhancements to the body structure, suspension, and steering give the Outback an even smoother and quieter ride for 2013, while also helping to increase handling agility. Body roll has also been reduced by up to 40 percent.<o:p</o
<o:p</o
Snippet face value, I doubt RSB/rear-springs alone would bring (up to 40 percent) the 012 to 013.<o:p</o
I agree...they changed more stuff than just springs or shocks. Geometry of the suspension may have changed too. This is a major facelift.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Of course it's too early to tell, only the engineers at Subaru know the specific differences at this point.
You can bet the specifics are proprietary and we will never know what the changes were.

·
Registered
2012 Ouback 2.5 CVT
417 Posts
I agree...they changed more stuff than just springs or shocks. Geometry of the suspension may have changed too. This is a major facelift.
Major face lift really? I don't know if I would take it that far with what we know now on the 13' OB. Only time will tell on the specifics of improved components.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Major face lift really? I don't know if I would take it that far with what we know now on the 13' OB. Only time will tell on the specifics of improved components.
What would you call it then? They changed the body structure (to improve crash test scores from NHTSA), they redesigned the whole front end (not just slapping on some LEDs), they redesigned the suspension, they redesigned the CVT tranny, they added a brand new engine (to OB), and they made it quieter. I am sure that i miss something. But, this is HUGE change in the model year...and i doubt that we will see anything else major until the end of the model cycle.

·
Registered
2012 Ouback 2.5 CVT
417 Posts
What would you call it then? They changed the body structure (to improve crash test scores from NHTSA),
Ok body structure stiffened, could be as simple as stronger welds or adding different metals in key areas like you said for higher NHTSA scores. We don't know.

they redesigned the whole front end (not just slapping on some LEDs),
Well from my understanding they just slapped on a new bumper and grill. Exterior wise that only accounts for like 15-20% change.

they redesigned the suspension,
As of now we still don't know to what extent. Could be just springs and bushings or just shocks and an alignment etc. etc.

they redesigned the CVT tranny,
Still don't know for sure. I heard directly from a subaru technician of 15 years that it was simply a computer software upgrade and nothing else.

they added a brand new engine (to OB),
The FB engine has been out since 2010, (2011 Forester) Yes new for OB chain vs belt, little more fuel efficient with lighter materials. But still it's not like it's 30 extra horsepower, turbocharged or displacement increased to 3.5 liters. Those changes are quite small and won't really be that noticeable to the average person when driving. I've driven one and it piratically felt exactly the same. If no one told me the engine was different I would have no idea it was changed. I think most would agree.

and they made it quieter.
Could be simply thicker sound deadening material. We don't know.

am sure that i miss something. But, this is HUGE change in the model year...and i doubt that we will see anything else major until the end of the model cycle.

I'm sorry I just don't see any real significant changes as you make it seem. I would personally call it a moderate change for right now from the 2012 and wait to see what specifics come out on the changes. Just my opinion. If you wan't to speculate that it's more than that then you're entitled to your opinion as well. No biggie. :)

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Ask your engineer friend that if the 2nd gen CVT is just software, then we all should be able to get updated, right? Somehow, I doubt it...trust me, I hope that you are right!

Your definition of a facelift (or lack of) is certainly different from mine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For some reason they increased Gen3 Outback ride height for North American markets compared to Japan ad Europe. Also Gen4 Outbacks in Europe look considerably lower than ones in North America.

Usually low center of gravity is good for handling. I wonder what JDM/EDM springs/shocks would do for 2013 USDM Outback...

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
Ask your engineer friend that if the 2nd gen CVT is just software, then we all should be able to get updated, right? Somehow, I doubt it...trust me, I hope that you are right!

Your definition of a facelift (or lack of) is certainly different from mine.
I read somewhere that the '13 CVT is 4 lb lighter......Maybe they just leave 3 quarts of fluid out of it. :D

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Snippet face value, I doubt RSB/rear-springs alone would bring (up to 40 percent) the 012 to 013.<O:p</O:p <!-- / message -->
Not sure how they measured 40%. "Up to" 40% could mean alot of things...might be only 40% when going around a corner at 60mph in a racing harness, but only 10% for normal daily driving. Regardless 40% isn't very much when you consider how much the OB rolls.

This is a major facelift.
Really? I disagree. This is a minor mid-cycle refresh with a handful of minor bolt-on changes. We'll see a major facelift in 2015 I would guess.

I'm waiting on this for my 2010 OB.
Remember there were changes to the OB's rear suspension from 2010-2011, I think 2011 rear ends sit about 1/2" lower. There were also steering and front end suspension changes from 2011.5-2012 which were not publicized by Subaru.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
2015 will be a facelift on a 4th gen OB?? So, how long is the 4th gen model cycle?? 8 or 10 years?? My guess is that the 5th gen OB is coming out in 2016.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.