Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am a brand new owner of a brand new 2018 Subaru Outback!

I don't have the money right now, but I want to scope out the best options for adding a remote start to my new Subaru. Is there any benefit to going to a subaru dealer to get one installed? Will they add the remote start to the key?

Hoping someone has some experience with this.

Thanks.

Randy

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
Hi All,

I am a brand new owner of a brand new 2018 Subaru Outback!

I don't have the money right now, but I want to scope out the best options for adding a remote start to my new Subaru. Is there any benefit to going to a subaru dealer to get one installed? Will they add the remote start to the key?

Hoping someone has some experience with this.

Thanks.

Randy
A week ago as of last Saturday I went to order my 2018 Touring, and I expected I'd need to wait 4-8 weeks, since none were anywhere near on lots around here: there weren't even any 3.6 Touring models listed in transit for online inventory, let alone my color choice (Dark Blue Pearl).

Well, they found a car slated to go to Corvallis, OR, that was *this close* to being what I had laid out: what it had extra was the LED dome light/map light upgrade (I've never had an issue with my dome lights burning out or being too dim) and what it was missing was the remote start. From the best information I have, I'll end up with exactly the same thing, added by the dealer, as I'd get if I got it shipped that way, though because the dealer is adding it instead of the factory, it costs more. On the other hand, I'm getting the car this Thursday, so time has value, right? Besides, I'd gotten special pricing by working for a company in the Passport program, so I came out ahead on price overall anyway.

So, I'd submit that you'd get the warm-fuzzy feeling of having a fully Subaru-warranteed part that works with the car as part of it, as though you got it built that way, for a price reflecting that you didn't buy it at the start.

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
@TheBlueSubaru what was the price they quoted you for the OEM dealership installed remote start?

Congrats on an awesome vehicle.
Thanks! If you'd like to suggest a name, go to my "driveabout" thread :D

I seem to recall it's like $250 more than list for them to do it. Sadly, I'm not able to look at it right now, and the dealership didn't hand me a breakdown sheet that lists the prices of all the options for some reason, and I'm hoping they do.

It'd be just my luck I find out that I keep accidentally activating it in my pocket, but I've had no way to test that.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring 2.5i
48 Posts
If you have the keyless/touch entry. You're basically stuck with Subaru for remote start. We had a 2016 Forester Touring. I called about 10 after market alarm stereo places. One said they could do it, than backed out after finding out it would take 6-8 hours. So Subaru is the only way to go and the range is around 450 ft.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Limited
140 Posts
Just be aware, with a Subaru remote start, the car shuts off when any door is opened. I'd check into after market, or not bother.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just be aware, with a Subaru remote start, the car shuts off when any door is opened. I'd check into after market, or not bother.
Yes the car shut off then the door is opened after using remote start. Never understood the issues with that situation. You just press the start button one more time or turn the key. Really not that difficult. And similar to other remote start systems.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
362 Posts
The remote start has been nothing but problems on both my 15 and 16 outbacks. I recommend an aftermarket item.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Limited
92 Posts
Had OEM installed after the fact on my 16. Works great, uses same key fob to start. They are right that when you open the door the engine shuts off. Safety and security feature. Glad it does.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Limited
20 Posts
I had my local Subaru dealer install a remote start on my ‘14 Outback Premium 2.5. It cost $595. At that time, I had quotes from after-market / 3rd party installers for $400.

It always worked perfectly and had what seemed to me to be a long range: I could start the car from the building I work in; the parking lot is at least 500 feet from the building.

After remote-starting the car, the engine shuts off when you open the door. This behavior seems standard with remote starts, maybe so people can’t drive away with your car.

Two weeks ago, I bought an ‘18 Outback Limited with push-button start. It didn’t come with a remote start and I’m thinking about having one installed. It’s expensive, but here in the upper-Midwest it’s a great feature to have in the winters.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Yes the car shut off then the door is opened after using remote start. Never understood the issues with that situation. You just press the start button one more time or turn the key. Really not that difficult. And similar to other remote start systems.

Actually the latest Honda remote start systems are great, they don't shut off when opening a door. You get in and press the start button while it's running on remote and off you go.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
I haven't looked up any parts #'s but the '18 should be the same as the '17. The key fob will start from close by. There is a smaller dedicated fob for long range starts. Long range has two way communication for start confirmation.

I have found the best way to purchase remote is from the factory. I have paid invoice several times without any push back from the dealer. It's installed at the port by people who do it all day long. No telling how many a dealer or particular service tech may have done. Once a car is sold the dealer has no incentive to discount parts purchases or install. Two different departments and both want to make money. (Hard to believe the dealers are actually in business to make money>:)).

·
Registered
2016 2.5 Premium 2014 FXT
50 Posts
I've got Viper two way remote starts on both the 2016 Outback and 2014 Forester. No issues here. I would recomend finding a certified installer from the Viper website, and do not let places like Best Buy or shady stereo shops do the install. you can also get the viper smart start installed and lock/unlock with your phone - which is pretty dope.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had a Viper 4816 and Smartstart installed. My car stays started when door is unlocked and opened; however, it does shut when put your f oot on the brake. Starting range is up to one mile and unlimited with Smartstart, which allows me to start and unlock my car using the app on my IPhone or Apple watch.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Limited
140 Posts
For those who think the car shutting off is a "safety feature"...It shuts off if the fob is not present. It is NOT a safety feature, as dealers have been told to tell customers. Trust me, when pressed, they are just as baffled. Also, the car shutting off when a door is opened, is NOT the norm. What IS the norm (in every other car I've been in), is you remote start the car, open the door, get in, press on the brake, and hit the start button, while the engine continues to run.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
For those who think the car shutting off is a "safety feature"...It shuts off if the fob is not present.............
Safety feature or not it shuts down when the door is opened with key fob present or not. It also shuts down after (IIRC) about 20 minutes if the door is not opened key fob or not. Some would consider that a safety feature.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver
433 Posts
Actually the latest Honda remote start systems are great, they don't shut off when opening a door. You get in and press the start button while it's running on remote and off you go.

My Buick LaCrosse was the same way. It really annoys me that I have to start the car twice especially when I will open a door to grab my snow brush and I want to car to keep running while I clean it. Now I have to sit in the car and start it and then get out to continue cleaning the car. It is not a safety feature it is an annoyance.

And you could not steel the car if it remotely started as unless you have the fob in the car, you cannot get it out of gear or put the car in run mode (dash on and such).

·
Registered
2019 Limited 3.6R, Crystal White Pearl/Black Interior
104 Posts
For those who think the car shutting off is a "safety feature"...It shuts off if the fob is not present. It is NOT a safety feature, as dealers have been told to tell customers. Trust me, when pressed, they are just as baffled. Also, the car shutting off when a door is opened, is NOT the norm. What IS the norm (in every other car I've been in), is you remote start the car, open the door, get in, press on the brake, and hit the start button, while the engine continues to run.

Exactly. That's the way my Compustar remote start works, except you don't need to press the start button, just the brake pedal. It's been a great system and it was $425, installed. The unit is made in the Seattle area and I think Compustar is the supplier for Toyota.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,107 Posts
Lack of a factory installed remote start on a $35K Subaru completely baffles me.

My sub-$20K Chevy Sonic LTZ came with a remote start system that had a range of over 200 yards. Also was linked to Onstar and I could start the car with my smartphone.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you get an Outback or any other Subaru product with Keyless access and push button start, you will have to stick with Subaru remote start. This is optional in Premium levels and below and standard on Limited versions and above.
Before purchasing a limited or Touring thinking you can use an after market remote start. Call around to different stereo installers and be specific telling them you have Remote Access. After they figure out what you really have they will not be able to install an after market system.

I did hear of one Subaru dealer in Minnesota that offers an aftermarket remote start. They basically had to break into the control modules and reprogram.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts