Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Outback Wagon 2.5i limited
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we enter cooler weather, I can see Fall approaching and then the lovely winter. On thing I like on my F150 is the remote start, but my “new to me” 2019 Outback didn’t come with it. I think I saw somewhere that it not that hard to add a factory remote start. Has anyone done this? I need to get it parts ordered and make sure it’s here before the cold weather hits.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,103 Posts
I need to get it parts ordered ...
The Subaru remote start is sold as a complete, field-installable accessory kit, with all the parts you need. As Walker already posted, after installing the kit you will need to pay a dealer to register the remote start with your Outback's anti-theft system before remote start will work.

Reactions: Unibody62

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R
233 Posts
I would recommend an aftermarket remote start. I have the dealer installed remote start on my 2019 Outback Touring 3.5 and have never been happy with it. First it requires a second key fob instead of being included with the regular fob like every other manufacturer uses. The most annoying feature is the ridiculous idea of killing the engine when you open a door, like to grab your snow brush witch requires a SECOND use of the starter on the car. I would by a good aftermarket remote starter that uses ONE key fob, allows you to set your climate controls to be where YOU want them on a cold morning and only kills the engine if you step on the brake.

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
585 Posts
From the descriptions this sounds like the long range remote start that requires the second FOB. Depending on trim and option packages you may already have remote start that uses your existing FOB. You can try it by pressing and releasing the lock button twice, then press and hold the lock button and see if the car starts. You have to do all this within something like 2 seconds. The directions are in your owners manual.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would recommend an aftermarket remote start. I have the dealer installed remote start on my 2019 Outback Touring 3.5 and have never been happy with it. First it requires a second key fob instead of being included with the regular fob like every other manufacturer uses. The most annoying feature is the ridiculous idea of killing the engine when you open a door, like to grab your snow brush witch requires a SECOND use of the starter on the car. I would by a good aftermarket remote starter that uses ONE key fob, allows you to set your climate controls to be where YOU want them on a cold morning and only kills the engine if you step on the brake.
Does anyone else feel this way? I assumed this option would be the cheapest, easiest, best route to go, and I could install myself (with the final step being visit the dealer). My F150 has a dealer installed system that uses a different remote and it is kind of annoying to have both on your key ring. Twenty years ago, I tried to install an aftermarket remote start on my daughters car, it was a disaster and I felt like I was destroying the integrity of the car. I ended up taking it to a local dealer for the product to help me out. I don’t think it ever really worked as expected. Maybe I will contact some aftermarket RS companies to see what they could do for me.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From the descriptions this sounds like the long range remote start that requires the second FOB. Depending on trim and option packages you may already have remote start that uses your existing FOB. You can try it by pressing and releasing the lock button twice, then press and hold the lock button and see if the car starts. You have to do all this within something like 2 seconds. The directions are in your owners manual.
I did try this after we bought the car, in hopes it already be set to go. I should try again, or maybe visit a dealer to have them tell me if it will work.

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
1,033 Posts
Just get an aftermarket one the Subaru OEM looks like something designed in 1999

Reactions: Unibody62

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I did try this after we bought the car, in hopes it already be set to go. I should try again, or maybe visit a dealer to have them tell me if it will work.
still needs the remote start control module installed. That section of the owner's manual could have better wording... it says "dealer option", which means "if you have the optional remote start accessory installed"

you can still use the fob with the push button start to start the car, but it's a short range. and more annoying to use than the separate remote. With the first push button start cars on the gen5 platform, the remote start never came with a separate fob, that was only for the keyed ignitions... in 2016 the long range remote start was available, replaced the 2015 version, and then the push button ignitions had a separate fob, but could still use the original car fob just like in 2015.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Does anyone else feel this way? I assumed this option would be the cheapest, easiest, best route to go, and I could install myself (with the final step being visit the dealer). My F150 has a dealer installed system that uses a different remote and it is kind of annoying to have both on your key ring. Twenty years ago, I tried to install an aftermarket remote start on my daughters car, it was a disaster and I felt like I was destroying the integrity of the car. I ended up taking it to a local dealer for the product to help me out. I don’t think it ever really worked as expected. Maybe I will contact some aftermarket RS companies to see what they could do for me.
I've had it on 3 gen5 cars, and I'd do it again. The two way remote is a lot better than using the original fob (like I had to do with the 2015). The long range is nice, the fob is a 2 way communication so you can see if the car actually started or not. You can still use your original fob if you really hate the additional long range fob (if you have push button start).

I'm not as picky about the climate controls - you have to have them set to ON in order for them to do anything, and from there it's automatic. if you have the automatic climate controls, it turns on and runs as shown, no matter what you had set before exiting (even if you turned it off). I don't have to remember to set the defrost on in the winter before I get out of the car, or anything else. Press the start button twice and then do whatever else I was doing.

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
I have the dealer installed remote start on my 2019 Outback Touring 3.5 and have never been happy with it.
Be honest about it. Based on your posts here, you have never been happy with anything on your Outback. Why you still own a vehicle that makes you so miserable is a mystery to me.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Touring 2.5
141 Posts
When initially installed the sensor installed on the windshield was obvious and ugly. When I had to replace the windshield the glass guy from Safe Light tucked it up higher and is less notcieable but still gets a good signal.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've had it on 3 gen5 cars, and I'd do it again. The two way remote is a lot better than using the original fob (like I had to do with the 2015). The long range is nice, the fob is a 2 way communication so you can see if the car actually started or not. You can still use your original fob if you really hate the additional long range fob (if you have push button start).
I think the short range remote start would probably be good for me, mostly just want to start the car from the house out to the detached garage. But, still weighing my options.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited nav/eye purchased 8/6/18
289 Posts
Uhhh... If it's in a garage, why use remote start? Just wonderin'.

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
I think the short range remote start would probably be good for me ...
One other advantage of the OEM Subaru remote start kits are that they are "plug & play" ... no wire cutting or splicing necessary. Some (most?) aftermarket remote starters require hacking into the original factory wiring harnesses. For that reason alone, I would never buy a used vehicle with an aftermarket remote start installed.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R w/ES; 2014 Corvette Stingray
10 Posts
Just get an aftermarket one the Subaru OEM looks like something designed in 1999
It’s worse than 1999. I had a remote start installed in 1999 on my 1994 Chevrolet Beretta that was more advanced than the factory Subaru one. It had a 1/4 mile range, didn’t shut off when I opened the door, had a function where you could leave the engine running while you took the key and locked your car at a convenience store, etc., and would even start the car periodically if the temp was too high or low, or if the battery voltage dropped to 11V. I was considering getting an aftermarket starter for mine (I live in Wisconsin) until I built a detached garage/shop with a heater. Now I just have to deal with a cold car when I leave the hospital in the evening.

·
Registered
'19 Outback Premium; EcoHitch, 19mm RSB, & Orsini vinyl design (see avatar)
87 Posts
The most annoying feature is the ridiculous idea of killing the engine...witch [sic] requires a SECOND use of the starter ...I would by [sic] ... and only kills the engine if you step on the brake.
Please tell me this is a typo: "...and only kills the engine if you step on the brake."

To move the shifter out of Park & move the car, you must step on the brake. So you want, and would pay for a system that kills your engine at the very moment you want to start moving to go somewhere?! I thought the most annoying thing was killing the engine requiring a "SECOND" use of the starter, yet that's what you want and would pay for. Huh?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You all make valid points, from your unique perspectives. For me, the purpose of a remote is to start the car and warm it up in the winter months. I don’t care about cooling down in the summer, because it cools rather quickly. So, the car would already be set to heat from the last time I drove it. As long as I can start the car from about 100 feet or so, it will work for me.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited 3.6r
336 Posts
If this is something you are still genuinely interested in, then I would follow the great deals that Best Buy does for remote start installs with Compustar equipment. I had mine installed with x2 two-way 3000 foot remotes for roughly $200. Best upgrade I ever did. A few months ago I bought the drone mobile kit and installed it myself. I can use Siri to remote start my car amongst other neat things. It was plug n' play if you already have the Compustar equipment installed.

Specifically for me, I did aftermarket for its reliability, and the fact that it doesn't shut that car off when you open the door. The Subaru OEM remote starter turns the car off when you open the door. So every time you remote start it, you have to turn it on again when you get in and go. Toyota does the same thing. And the drone mobile thing is just a nice bonus, that was only $60 extra, plus the monthly subscription.

Edit: press brake pedal to open-door. (gracias @walker)

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
the subaru one shuts the car off when you open the door.... for me, that happens before I step on the brake pedal.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts