Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring
99 Posts
Does anyone else feel this way? I assumed this option would be the cheapest, easiest, best route to go, and I could install myself (with the final step being visit the dealer). My F150 has a dealer installed system that uses a different remote and it is kind of annoying to have both on your key ring. Twenty years ago, I tried to install an aftermarket remote start on my daughters car, it was a disaster and I felt like I was destroying the integrity of the car. I ended up taking it to a local dealer for the product to help me out. I don’t think it ever really worked as expected. Maybe I will contact some aftermarket RS companies to see what they could do for me.
I do. It came with my 2019 3.6R Touring and I don't see the point of it because of the "open the door and the car turns off". I mean, I get why they do it: What if someone drove off in your car??? It seems like you'd be smart enough to not remote start your car in a neighborhood such as that.

The additional key fob is bulky. Someone else mentioned that you could use the normal key fob to start the car but I've never gotten that to work (not sure if it's misconfigured or I'm just not doing it right or I just don't have that option (I think it's the latter)).

To me, even if your car is outside and it's -10°F, it makes more sense just to go outside and start your car, finish up your inside business such as getting your coffee, and then head back outside and drive off over the engine stop issue when you open the door. It just seems dumb to me.

My remote start fobs just remain on the key holder on my wall.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Wagon 2.5i limited
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
To me, even if your car is outside and it's -10°F, it makes more sense just to go outside and start your car, finish up your inside business such as getting your coffee, and then head back outside and drive off over the engine stop issue when you open the door. It just seems dumb to me.

My remote start fobs just remain on the key holder on my wall.
The problem is, if I do that, then someone really can drive off with my car because I’ve given them the key. Unlikely to happen where I live, but stranger things have happened.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited 3.6r
336 Posts
The problem is, if I do that, then someone really can drive off with my car because I’ve given them the key. Unlikely to happen where I live, but stranger things have happened.
if you were afraid of that, why get a remote starter in the first place? Why would you give your keys to someone if you weren't prepared for them to drive it?

Maybe I’m not understanding.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
if you were afraid of that, why get a remote starter in the first place? Why would you give your keys to someone if you weren't prepared for them to drive it?

Maybe I’m not understanding.
Don’t think you are understanding. As I quoted @BradBishop in my post, who suggested instead of getting a remote start, go out, start the car and continue getting ready to leave while it warms up. The key fob must be left in the car to continue running, hence anyone could come up get in the car and take off. With a remote start, that can’t happen.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Don’t think you are understanding. As I quoted @BradBishop in my post, who suggested instead of getting a remote start, go out, start the car and continue getting ready to leave while it warms up. The key fob must be left in the car to continue running, hence anyone could come up get in the car and take off. With a remote start, that can’t happen.
I don't think that's true. I start my car all the time (Summer - need AC for my dog) when I'm loading it up to do some soft roading. I've never had it turn off and the key fob has been in my pocket as I go back and forth to my apartment.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I don't think that's true. I start my car all the time (Summer - need AC for my dog) when I'm loading it up to do some soft roading. I've never had it turn off and the key fob has been in my pocket as I go back and forth to my apartment.
My push to start Subie will alert you if you leave the car ( and probably keep reminding you) and take the remote with you. I never tried to walk too far away, but I kind figured it would shut off as a safety feature.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
My push to start Subie will alert you if you leave the car ( and probably keep reminding you) and take the remote with you. I never tried to walk too far away, but I kind figured it would shut off as a safety feature.
On mine, it beeps, I think, 3 times, and then the beeping stops. The engine keeps running. I leave my AC on MAX for my dog if I'm just going in and out of a store. I've never had it shut off.

I've never had anyone mess with the car because she's a shepherd:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I actually just installed my remote start yesterday, I got this one from best buy.

Fairly easy install there's and there is an app that essentially walks you through it and countless youtube videos nothing specific to the outback but with all those together it was a good time. It is just an extra fob that goes with your key, nothing too big. I like it so far. Someone said earlier that the Compustar ones are better and that may be the case I got this one because best buy had a deal on it for $125 off the $299 price tag so I couldn't turn it down and if you have the total tech support plan from best buy it is cheaper and the install is free if you do that. There is also an app that you can start the car with it uses LTE (via subscription) or bluetooth for free and the bluetooth works fine.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R
232 Posts
On most vehicles with remote start, the engine continues to run when the doors are opened. This allows you to remove or put things in the back while the car is cooling or warming. The doors remain locked when the engine starts. When you get into the car you MUST press the start button and step on the brake pedal to get it out of park. Step on the brake without the key with you and the engine stops. I don't know of any other vehicle that kills the engine when you open the door.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
On most vehicles with remote start, the engine continues to run when the doors are opened. This allows you to remove or put things in the back while the car is cooling or warming. The doors remain locked when the engine starts. When you get into the car you MUST press the start button and step on the brake pedal to get it out of park. Step on the brake without the key with you and the engine stops. I don't know of any other vehicle that kills the engine when you open the door.
It's funny: It's the EXACT OPPOSITE of what anyone would want it to do. Press the start button with your fob nearby? Sure. Stop the engine? WHY DID YOU STOP THE ENGINE????

21 - 32 of 32 Posts