Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to add a Curt hitch and I found a website from Etrailer that has a video adding a harness. He peels back the cargo area panels and there is a single plug just behind the rear seat that he adds from. I removed the same panels and no plug!

He didn't mention if the OB he was demonstrating on came with a factory hitch but no wiring, or if all OB's come with that, or what.

Can anyone add clarification to this?

I have a lofty goal to actually integrate the trailer plug into the bumper, similar to what you would see on a truck bumper.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,359 Posts
They should all have the wiring. Keep digging.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver
433 Posts
Both of his videos had the plug near the circle cutout about the rear strut mount. I see nothing. Any tips on which direction exactly to start digging? I'd prefer to pull up as few panels as possible.

Sorry, I was not able to just grab the plug from under the panel like the eTrailer video and had to remove panels in the back to get to it. There was no way I was going to be able to grab it where it was located without bending and possibly damaging the panel. So start removing trim. The plug is there.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bummer, ok thanks for your info! My whole kit hasn't delivered yet but I was trying to be a bit proactive. I'll wait until it shows and tear into everything at once.

My goal is to get the plug through the spare tore area and put a notch in the bumper plastic and have it mounted up that way permanently.

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,435 Posts
Sometimes, the connector is taped to the wiring harness. It's there, but you might have to really reach inside to find it.

·
Registered
17 Outback Touring 3.6R blue 18 Chevy Silverado High Country and a 11 Dodge Challenger SRT 8
322 Posts
Take out the cargo tie down a 10mm bolt and you will see it taped there. I just went thru this today on my 17 Outback.Also lets you pull panel out farther and easier to work there.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Limited, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
1,159 Posts
Peeking under the panels I saw the blue tape used to secure the connector from rattling before I saw the connector.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got it! I gently used a razor to shave the blue tape bundle then got the harness with needle nose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts