Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
Fillup, the 2017 3.6R
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got good ol' Fillup put up on some ADF strut spacers and multilink spacers yesterday. This is the 2" front and 2.5" rear strut and multilink spacer kit from ADF. I also had the soft (60d) CKE CVT insert installed because although I like to shimmy I don't like dancing that much... All in all, turning and accelerating through corners is the only place I feel the jiggle. I mainly wanted to post this because the "WOBBLES" is the only reason I hadn't done this install a year ago. I did a TON of research, ordered the Readylift 2" strut spacers but sent them back (didn't like the idea of no multilink spacers and the weld seams were a little too short in my opinion, could be just as strong as ADF based on their placement but they really did look too short)... Finally got the ADF strut + multilink kit (+1 for USA +2 for OR, USA made). For those of you worried about this shake, I can guarantee you it's the least of your concerns. I know a lot of you from all the posts I've seen, like myself, are probably worried about compromising your "perfect ride" and don't want to mess up the "ride quality" but having this happen between 15-18 mph (which I am rarely ever driving at) I don't mind AT ALL. if all you do is cruise from home to the grocery store and you frequently stop at lights and never get out of the city, you might not like it.... but if you're use to driving on dirt roads and less "perfect" things in life you will probably love this kit.

P.S. I got the 2.5" rear to compensate for the swing out full-size spare tire rack that will be fitted on the trailer hitch mount (to come). otherwise I would have gone 2" front and 2" rear

P.P.S. new wheels and tires are on the way but I don't mind the stock rims for the moment. At least not enough to plasti dip them... @Brucey 's favorite product :D

·
Registered
2015 2.51 Limited, 2013 Abarth 500 - Nero, 2002 WRX Wagon - WR Blue, 2011 Forester
188 Posts
Looks good. I have the LP one on the way here, so should be sitting like yours by mid June :)

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R
14 Posts
Looks good! If you want to minimize the wobble even more try the 3/4" carrier bearing spacer from ADF, I did that and it helped a lot. Very easy to install too and it's only $20.

·
Registered
Fillup, the 2017 3.6R
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so even with the insert you still have a wobble?
correct. Mind you I have a lead foot and can only feel it when I drive like they just restocked toilet paper at the supermarket/ accelerating around corners. It's kinda fun though.... :D BTW this install was done at ~26,000 miles. I have a feeling the sooner a lift and CVT insert done the less likely wobbles would result, but I don't have enough experience to justify that, just a couple classes in mechanical vibrations and some intuition to back the idea....

·
Registered
Fillup, the 2017 3.6R
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks good! If you want to minimize the wobble even more try the 3/4" carrier bearing spacer from ADF, I did that and it helped a lot. Very easy to install too and it's only $20.
Wicked! Thanks so much for the insight. I'm all for trying out all of these corrective measures. What I would really like is to find out exactly why it only happens from 15-18 mph.... All my college studies point towards there being multiple speed ranges this wobble should occur at if its speed related, even if each subsequent wobble is more damped/less noticeable... however if im in a "higher gear"/lower RPM and drop back down to the 15-18 mph range and accelerate again, it doesn't occur... It seems to be a product of a higher RPM in the 15-18 mph range accelerating from a stop... anyway,

·
Registered
2015 2.51 Limited, 2013 Abarth 500 - Nero, 2002 WRX Wagon - WR Blue, 2011 Forester
188 Posts
Nice! Im curious why they include an extended exhaust hangers with theirs...
I will get pictures when I do it and we can compare. Perhaps they want to be sure there is enough space around the subframe

·
Registered
Fillup, the 2017 3.6R
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will get pictures when I do it and we can compare. Perhaps they want to be sure there is enough space around the subframe
From LP today:

"We include these rubber hangers as an optional component in our lift kit.
Customer can decide if he uses it or not.

The purpose of those hangers is to relocate the exhaust line (push it from the sub frame) in order to avoid it to knock on the frame.
Again... you could decide to use those or not."

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R, Crystal White Pearl
538 Posts
Looks nice but not with a guaranteed (or so it seems) wobble at any speed. Not for me.

·
Registered
Fillup, the 2017 3.6R
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Looks nice but not with a guaranteed (or so it seems) wobble at any speed. Not for me.
I use to feel the same way but wish I had done it sooner. Driving experience is hands down better even with the slight wobble, I hated being as low to the road as I was. I didn't buy an outback for a luxury ride quality anyway so its worth the elevated driving experience for me... I'd like to know at what mileage this performance upgrade wouldn't create the wobbles, seems like something you could avoid with a newer vehicle and the lift install but I won't know until I look into it more....

maybe @traildogck has some more expertise on the subject

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited 50th Anniversary
79 Posts
so even with the insert you still have a wobble?
I have the wobble too. Not the only problem though. Even more concerning is the bogging down of the engine. Since I had the lift and insert installed, the engine will run at lower RPMs, around 1100 while I'm controlling the throttle and then the engine sounds like it's bogged down. I have to push the pedal at least half way to the floor to get it to down shift and go anywhere. When the cruise control is controlling the throttle, the RPMs are where they should be. It's never good to bog down an engine. I wouldn't do it again if I could go back in time. Hoping to get it to the dealer to spend another $1000 to have them look and tell me what's wrong. Not worth all the money I paid.

·
Registered
Fillup, the 2017 3.6R
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the wobble too. Not the only problem though. Even more concerning is the bogging down of the engine. Since I had the lift and insert installed, the engine will run at lower RPMs, around 1100 while I'm controlling the throttle and then the engine sounds like it's bogged down. I have to push the pedal at least half way to the floor to get it to down shift and go anywhere. When the cruise control is controlling the throttle, the RPMs are where they should be. It's never good to bog down an engine. I wouldn't do it again if I could go back in time. Hoping to get it to the dealer to spend another $1000 to have them look and tell me what's wrong. Not worth all the money I paid.
what lift kit did you have installed?

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R
14 Posts
I don't see how suspension modification can be related to the engine throttle and response. Maybe it's just a coincident that the engine problems started when you installed the lift?

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
583 Posts
was something pinched or severed upon installation?

·
Registered
Fillup, the 2017 3.6R
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't see how suspension modification can be related to the engine throttle and response. Maybe it's just a coincident that the engine problems started when you installed the lift?
Its natural that when there's a problem we want a reason/cause for the problem. We will seek one out even if its outside the scope of any possibility... it's a human thing. For instance, my bad grades in school right now are hardly a reflection of my lack of concentration as a result of my home becoming my classroom, they're because COVID-19 ;)

that being said its totally possible something went wrong during the install.... its also totally possible to get faulty gas once in a blue moon.... water in your fuel tank..... fuel injector....spoiled gas if you never completely run your tank to E.... they're all theoretically possible but you would know best because you've been driving it @SubieAdventures

you might have whoever installed it run a diagnostic once over to make sure everything was done right...? or would it be a twice over since they should have already done a once over after the install?... idk

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,854 Posts
This is the first time I've heard of the engine/transmission response changing due to a lift.

If you take the lift off does it go away?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,035 Posts
@traildogck might want to read this. (the CKE master crafter himself)

but @Fortify503 that is a nice looking rig,

1 - 20 of 74 Posts