Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,074 Posts
So....

Do all of you with a rear subframe drop also have the center carrier bearing drop spacer from ADF? I strongly suggest the carrier drop in conjunction with the CVT mount insert. I have also heard that Primitive offers a transmisson subframe drop/spacer kit which may also help. I can not confirm this, but from a design intent, it makes perfect sense. I also can not confirm application fitment acoss models. But, in my experience, the transmision subframe mount bolts for all models are the same.

·
Registered
2015 2.51 Limited, 2013 Abarth 500 - Nero, 2002 WRX Wagon - WR Blue, 2011 Forester
188 Posts
LP kit arrived today. Priming it tonight (I'm picky just accept it) and then paint tomorrow. Should set me up for a weekend install nicely. Pict will follow when I start disassembly of Obie.

·
Registered
Fillup, the 2017 3.6R
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
This is the first time I've heard of the engine/transmission response changing due to a lift.

If you take the lift off does it go away?

This is the first time I've heard of the engine/transmission response changing due to a lift.

:D

·
Registered
Fillup, the 2017 3.6R
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So....

Do all of you with a rear subframe drop also have the center carrier bearing drop spacer from ADF? I strongly suggest the carrier drop in conjunction with the CVT mount insert. I have also heard that Primitive offers a transmisson subframe drop/spacer kit which may also help. I can not confirm this, but from a design intent, it makes perfect sense. I also can not confirm application fitment acoss models. But, in my experience, the transmision subframe mount bolts for all models are the same.
I do not. I emailed Patrick about it last week and he said to come by and get one installed once his new shop is open, so I said Sure! I looked into it after @F6power recommended it. I believe the Primitive rep was talking to me about the transmission sub frame spacer kit as it's part of the total lift install they do at a Subaru dealership near me. so ill do a little more research. Something tells me with 2" in the front and 2.5" in the rear that might not be an option since I believe all primitive lifts those go on are 1.5" front and rear?... but again I will do my homework first

·
Registered
2015 2.51 Limited, 2013 Abarth 500 - Nero, 2002 WRX Wagon - WR Blue, 2011 Forester
188 Posts
Paint is on. Nothing too much, just stops the road grime eating anything. Though stainless steel shouldnt be a big issue anyway. Had some fun adding pink detail to the front hats as they may be visible in the engine bay. And because it was fun. And Pink is super Subaru Lore. Going to start pulling the front wheels tonight and see what happens, more to follow (the paint was some spare titanium that I had from a 2004 Outback lower portion so it is a valid Subaru paint code even)

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 3.6R 2" ADF lift kit 17X8 (45mm off-set) Advanti DST Storm wheels 245/65R17 BFG KO2 AT tires 20mm RSB Strut Tower Brace steering Dampener Lockdown
246 Posts
correct. Mind you I have a lead foot and can only feel it when I drive like they just restocked toilet paper at the supermarket/ accelerating around corners. It's kinda fun though.... :D BTW this install was done at ~26,000 miles. I have a feeling the sooner a lift and CVT insert done the less likely wobbles would result, but I don't have enough experience to justify that, just a couple classes in mechanical vibrations and some intuition to back the idea....
The wobble complaint is common when the lift is done with some miles on the suspension - I think due to wear. I did 2" ADF lift to a 17 X-Trek and an 18 OB when they were both brand spanking new. No wobble with either.

·
Registered
188 Posts
With the kit fully installed I will say the (4) included exhaust hangers were not needed. I didnt remove the factory ones at all during the install, and there is enough space around the subframe I am not too worried. I kept them in case I hear noise at a later date but dont expect to have any issues. Assume the hangers are included 2 each for 2 exhaust models. I only have a single and i like the way it's tucked up near the bumper so if I don't have to add them I will be happy.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited 50th Anniversary
79 Posts
Its natural that when there's a problem we want a reason/cause for the problem. We will seek one out even if its outside the scope of any possibility... it's a human thing. For instance, my bad grades in school right now are hardly a reflection of my lack of concentration as a result of my home becoming my classroom, they're because COVID-19 ;)

that being said its totally possible something went wrong during the install.... its also totally possible to get faulty gas once in a blue moon.... water in your fuel tank..... fuel injector....spoiled gas if you never completely run your tank to E.... they're all theoretically possible but you would know best because you've been driving it @SubieAdventures

you might have whoever installed it run a diagnostic once over to make sure everything was done right...? or would it be a twice over since they should have already done a once over after the install?... idk
I got fired from work last Thursday so I’ve got all the time in the world now to go off roading and potentially writing some trail guides in Idaho for trailsoffroad.com! I plan on taking this into the dealer to have them look at it before I do that though. The dealer let me know anything over a 2” lift voids the bumper to bumper warranty but should still have the 100k power train. We’ll see what they say.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited 50th Anniversary
79 Posts

Not sure, it would probably cost another $400-$500 to take it off to test then another $400-$500 to put back on. Hopefully the dealer can figure it out.
Also, I had the CKE thing installed, I thought about using your awesome guide to take that out and see if there is a change. You made it look really easy.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,854 Posts
Not sure, it would probably cost another $400-$500 to take it off to test then another $400-$500 to put back on. Hopefully the dealer can figure it out.
Also, I had the CKE thing installed, I thought about using your awesome guide to take that out and see if there is a change. You made it look really easy.
Apparently that video is a little out of date.

The newer style just presses in and no removal of the trans mount is required.

It's not hard to remove though. 4 ramps makes it a quick job but even that isn't necessary just extra room is nice.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,074 Posts
Keep in mind, you are now running bigger tires and wheels, Right? Larger shoes will affect power, acceration and gearing. So, Depending how smart the CVT programinging is, my money is on the added weight, and rotational mass at the corners.

·
Registered
Fillup, the 2017 3.6R
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
With the kit fully installed I will say the (4) included exhaust hangers were not needed. I didnt remove the factory ones at all during the install, and there is enough space around the subframe I am not too worried. I kept them in case I hear noise at a later date but dont expect to have any issues. Assume the hangers are included 2 each for 2 exhaust models. I only have a single and i like the way it's tucked up near the bumper so if I don't have to add them I will be happy.
thats what I was thinking... why would you want to lower them and negate a portion of the reason you just lifted it?.... (honestly I bet there's a reason and I'd love to know I just can't think of one)

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
908 Posts
And all this is why lift is last on my list of “needs”.

Reactions: sb001 and paroxysym

·
Registered
Fillup, the 2017 3.6R
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
And all this is why lift is last on my list of “needs”.
but plasti dipping your hood, buying BFG ko2's, LP wheels, ditch lights, wheel arch moldings, fog light tint and an aftermarket grill is?......... Bro your "off-road" vehicle is capable of everything but going off-road LOL!! i hope they have paved roads where you go camping.... And who worries about a wobble when that's all one experiences on the less traveled roads? I don't go to malls or car shows with my Outback so I would never worry about the little things affecting the pleasure I get from my off road vehicle. being able to clear a rut that a Toyota Camry wouldn't be able to is more what's on my mind. You can't let the little things deter your happiness with a still solid performing vehicle like that. BTW I love plastidip and still want to do that to my hood ;)

·
Registered
908 Posts
but plasti dipping your hood, buying BFG ko2's, LP wheels, ditch lights, wheel arch moldings, fog light tint and an aftermarket grill is?......... Bro your "off-road" vehicle is capable of everything but going off-road LOL!! i hope they have paved roads where you go camping.... And who worries about a wobble when that's all one experiences on the less traveled roads? I don't go to malls or car shows with my Outback so I would never worry about the little things affecting the pleasure I get from my off road vehicle. being able to clear a rut that a Toyota Camry wouldn't be able to is more what's on my mind. You can't let the little things deter your happiness with a still solid performing vehicle like that. BTW I love plastidip and still want to do that to my hood ;)
It's a 3m matte black wrap.

Reactions: paroxysym

·
Banned
96 Posts
You're joking right? Your 2" lift kit will not provide ANY added benefit off road over the original off-the-lot Outback. Why?? Because you still don't have a low-range transfer case or a locking diff, which in conjunction with a lift kit COULD provide additional serious off road capabilities. Without them you're not accomplishing anything except a higher stance. Add in the fact that you now have a suspension wobble that wasn't there before and I don't get it either.
The Subaru Outback is a great vehicle for light off-roading i.e. slogging over rutted out dirt roads, sloshing through small snowdrifts etc. It will do that whether you have a 2" lift or not, and will not do much more than that without much more serious modifications.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,854 Posts
You're joking right? Your 2" lift kit will not provide ANY added benefit off road over the original off-the-lot Outback.
The body, transmission, and oil pan are all 2 inches further away from a rock.

The Approach, Break Over, and Departure angles are slightly improved.

Mine drug on the path to the cabin, path to local camp grounds, path to swimming holes, kayak put ins, etc before the lift was installed.

·
Registered
908 Posts
You're joking right? Your 2" lift kit will not provide ANY added benefit off road over the original off-the-lot Outback. Why?? Because you still don't have a low-range transfer case or a locking diff, which in conjunction with a lift kit COULD provide additional serious off road capabilities. Without them you're not accomplishing anything except a higher stance. Add in the fact that you now have a suspension wobble that wasn't there before and I don't get it either.
The Subaru Outback is a great vehicle for light off-roading i.e. slogging over rutted out dirt roads, sloshing through small snowdrifts etc. It will do that whether you have a 2" lift or not, and will not do much more than that without much more serious modifications.
This was the reply I wanted to give but didn’t feel like typing.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts