Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My OB has a setting that turns on the headlights whenever the wipers are on. This is a great feature that I wish every car had. However, in my opinion the delay between turning on the wipers and the headlights coming on is too long. I believe it takes a full 60 seconds or more. I can understand having a delay so that it doesn't cycle the headlights if you're only clearing off some morning dew or something, but a full minute seems too long. I would think 15 seconds is sufficient delay.

This is the sort of thing that I could adjust in my VW products with VCDS software and the ODB cable from Ross-Tech. Anyone have any idea if this setting (and any others within the control modules) can be adjusted?

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, Crimson Red Pearl
123 Posts
Is this feature unique to the Touring level?

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited w/ EyeSight - Lapis Blue Pearl
69 Posts
Is this feature unique to the Touring level?
No, same behavior on our 2017 Limited. I like the feature also, but haven't looked closely enough to see what the actual trigger is for when the lights turn on. Is it a timer exclusively, or is it also tied to what the wiper delay setting is?

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The lights turn on after the sixth swipe, regardless of the wiper speed setting.
OK, I can adjust if it does that. Rather than starting with a long delay, I can turn them to slow and let the lights come on, then back to delay. I hadn't watched it closely enough to determine it was a sweep count. I thought it was the same delay even when I wasn't using the delayed wipe but I certainly may have it wrong. :surprise:

Thanks!

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,301 Posts
Anyone know what page in the manual? Never noticed this feature.

·
Registered
350 Posts
It is nice to be able to turn down the sensitivity so that you can leave the lights in Auto without them cycling on and off every time you go under a bridge or other overpass (which my '11 OB does).

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is nice to be able to turn down the sensitivity so that you can leave the lights in Auto without them cycling on and off every time you go under a bridge or other overpass (which my '11 OB does).
Yeah, my VW and Audi cars did that as well. Always thought there should be a sensitivity adjustment for it. I wonder if that sensitivity adjustment would affect the auto-wipers as well?

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,301 Posts

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Outback w/Eyesight, Venetian Red Pearl
301 Posts
Thanks for posting this as I did not even know about this feature. Had the car almost a year and still learning new things about it!

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium Tungsten/Black
86 Posts
The lights turn on after the sixth swipe, regardless of the wiper speed setting.
The MY15 must be different. Page 3-48
"In this position, the headlight will automatically turn on when the windshield wipers operate nine times or more. The headlight will automatically turn off when the wiper stops."

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5L, Auto; 2018 Forester, 2.5L, Auto (for Mama); 2005 Baja, 2.5 Turbo, Manual
694 Posts
Ask your dealer about a software update/TSB on the '11. That cycling was a contributor to headlights burning out quickly in the 10-11. My 13 never cycled lights under a bridge unless stop light held be there for a while. And I heard something about updating the earlier cars as part of working the headlight replacement issue. (several threads on the subject in gen 4 forum)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Ask your dealer about a software update/TSB on the '11. That cycling was a contributor to headlights burning out quickly in the 10-11. My 13 never cycled lights under a bridge unless stop light held be there for a while. And I heard something about updating the earlier cars as part of working the headlight replacement issue. (several threads on the subject in gen 4 forum)
Nice to know, but I'll only have the '11 about four more weeks until it turns into a 2018 model!

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I looked at my manual, and all it says is that it activates after "several" sweeps. Next time it's raining, I'm going to pay attention to how many sweeps it actually takes.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I set the wiper link to "on" for my 2017 limited. Never could get it to work while setting in park. I tested with lights set on off and in automatic modes. Does the car need to be in drive or moving for it to activate?

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I set the wiper link to "on" for my 2017 limited. Never could get it to work while setting in park. I tested with lights set on off and in automatic modes. Does the car need to be in drive or moving for it to activate?
Auto-headlights will come on in Park when it's dark out, but if it's daylight I don't believe the wiper control will trigger it unless you are moving. I've never sat long enough in park for the wipers to sweep enough times to trigger the auto-headlights. Weather hasn't cooperated since I've wanted to test this. Crazy sunshine in mid February in Seattle. Lots of snow Sunday, and now it's lightly snowing again. But I don't have anywhere to go. :grin2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts