Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. I'm new to the forum. Just bought my wife / family a 2012 Outback 2.5 Premium last weekend. Just ordered an STi rear sway bar and will be installing a couple of comfort accessories this weekend (Pyle backup sensors and OEM puddle lamps). I don't want to mod the car to ****, since this will be our "family car" (10-month old baby will be riding in the back), but I would like to make it more fun to drive, mostly with improved on-road handling.

I've scoured the internet for adjustable struts/shocks for the Outback, but coming up dry. I'm a huge fan of Koni adjustables (yellow) - had them in my Maxima, which i raced on road courses throughout California, and I rigged Maxima fronts and 300Z rears for my Altima 3.5SE. I've had KYB GR-2 and KYB AGX in various cars in the past and am not a fan of either. I've had Rancho RS5000's in an Explorer and liked them. I'm a big fan of moderate over-damping in rebound (the AGX's over-damped compression as you turned the knob, which is why I didn't like them).

Has anybody tried custom fitting Koni's or Ranchos to the Subaru? Koni front dampers for struts are usually cartridge inserts which utilize the stock housing, so there's gotta be somemodel that will meet Outback front strut specifications. The rears, I imagine, will be trickier since the spring sits on a seat attached to the shock assembly.

I'd appreciate any info or ideas - adjustables made for the Outback, other folks who have tried a custom job(with success or failure), specs/measurements of the strut and shock (lengths - fully extended & contracted).

Thanks!
Jay.

BTW - has anybody tried Dunlop Sport Maxx TT's on a 4th gen? They make 235-55-17 that should fit nicely. I've got these on my Altima and I love them. I'll post on another thread, but thought I'd ask just in case any handling-freaks check on this thread. Thanks!

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,704 Posts
I know folks have done K-yellow inserts for Imprezas - I think there are DIY photos and perhaps even a video, so - yeah, likely doable if the correct model could be selected.

didn't know the AGXes were compression and not rebound adjustable but, haven't really investigated it.

and I thought there was now a Tokico or other brand available for some soobs - probably Imprezas. anyone?

Dale Teague at boxer4racing has typically kept up with legacy go-fast bits so, he may have some suggestions.

you may be the vanguard on this!

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1 Lucky Texan - I appreciate the info. I'll let you all know if I get anywhere with this project.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
...In a minute or two a bunch of your closest friends will show up on this thread to in form you that "its and Outback, and you are an idiot for wanting to improve it's performance".....despite the fact that the car market is full of performance-oriented SUVs.
:D

AFAIK the only aftermarket option are KYBs and I read in another thread that someone had contacted KYB who confirmed they are *slightly* stiffer than stock.

Not sure on adapting Koni's but might be tough given the long travel of the OB's front suspension but would be interested in what you find out....

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free
1,220 Posts
LOL. Should have gotten the WRX.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,704 Posts
RHD in japan shows 'pink' adjustables - but they are probably KYB in disguise.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...In a minute or two a bunch of your closest friends will show up on this thread to in form you that "its and Outback, and you are an idiot for wanting to improve it's performance".....despite the fact that the car market is full of performance-oriented SUVs.
:D
Yeah. I'm ready for that. On-road performance was lower in priority than roominess, lightness & MPG (didn't want an SUV), and ground clearance (our driveway entrance is very steep - no streetcar has made it up without battle wounds). But a little better street performance would be a nice-to-have. I tend to performance mod a lot of unlikely cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts