Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When adjusting the sensitivity of the automatic headlight sensor, which setting is correct to minimize the sensitivity, thus making the lights stay off longer? The Owner Manual is rather vague. It implies that the settings (Min, Low, Mid, and Max) are for setting the sensitivity. A proper interpretation of that would be that the Min setting would yield a minimum amount of sensitivity, thus the lights would come on later at dusk.

This is the setting I selected, but I noticed that my lights still come on when I pull in the garage, mid day. My garage is not that dark. It has a couple large windows.

I am wondering if the book is in err, and the Max setting means max light change to activate the lights. Anyone have any real knowledge on this?

·
Registered
2013 OB Limited 3.6R w/ Nav & Eyesight
98 Posts
My auto dimming has always been a bit weird - more related to how much they dim vs when.

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,442 Posts
On the premium I had the dealer make the adjustment. He had the same question. We set it to the lowest sensitivity setting. That made the sensor work in such a way that it needed to be darker before the headlights would turn on, and not quite as light outside before they would turn off. I think this is what you are trying to do. I'm almost ready to have them reset back, though, it's almost a little too dark (too close to sunset) before they turn on. They need one more setting between normal and low.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
1,011 Posts
Unfortunately, the biggest issue that I have with the auto-headlights is that I wish they had a delay feature that would ignore temporary dark areas like going under higher overpasses. But the sensitivity adjustment doesn't affect the delay-timing. They still react too quickly to brief changes in the light level.

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
Unfortunately, the biggest issue that I have with the auto-headlights is that I wish they had a delay feature that would ignore temporary dark areas like going under higher overpasses. But the sensitivity adjustment doesn't affect the delay-timing. They still react too quickly to brief changes in the light level.
This function on the 2013 models is vastly different than that for the 2010 model.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
1,011 Posts
This function on the 2013 models is vastly different than that for the 2010 model.
Yes, I guess I've heard that. I wonder if it's possible to get the 2013 algorithm "flashed" (no pun intended) to a 2010 car?

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On the premium I had the dealer make the adjustment. He had the same question. We set it to the lowest sensitivity setting. That made the sensor work in such a way that it needed to be darker before the headlights would turn on, and not quite as light outside before they would turn off. I think this is what you are trying to do. I'm almost ready to have them reset back, though, it's almost a little too dark (too close to sunset) before they turn on. They need one more setting between normal and low.
That's good to know. I'll try that.

So far I have tried both Min and Max, and in both cases, my headlights come on some times, when I have felt they shouldn't have.

I agree with the comments above, that it seems there should be a short delay before lights are activated, after the sensor measures a light change. I recently bought some Hella Optilux yellow bulbs for the fog lights, and along with the low beams, I am a little concerned about premature bulb burnout.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts