Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both our '01 and '02 OB's shift out of first gear seemingly way too early, leaving 2nd gear well below its power band. Sure I can step into it more and that'll help...but I don't want to accelerate faster - I just want to stay in 1st and 2nd gear a bit longer. If I manually shift into 1st and bring the rpm's up the car seems to like the 1-2 shift much more - same for 2-3.

If it was an old-school Mopar I'd just move the kickdown linkage forward a bit so the trans stays in gear longer, but how do I (can I?) go about the same thing on an OB?

Would appreciate yer thoughts :)

Thanks,
- Sam

·
Registered
'05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift
514 Posts
Prolly the only way'd t do it would be replace some computer chip, the car's brain, etc.

I'm sure for the right price, you can do just about anything.

I would be hesitant myself to do anything like that which I feel is a bit drastic, as I'm sure you will improve one thing at the expense of something else. You typically don't always have a win-win situation as I see it. I could be wrong.

Maybe, for me, suddenly the car wouldn't run properly at 35 degrees (F) below zero, then I'm stuck with putting the OEM part back in - AND maybe having to take off half the dash board to get to the darn thing. :(

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
There are aftermarket valve bodies available to improve shifting for the 5 speed auto. There may be equivalents for the 4-speed. Haven't owned a car with the 4EAT yet so I never researched it.

I do know that later versions of the 4 speed have the 'manumatic sportshift' which allows you to override the default shifts. No idea as to whether you can retrofit the brain & control switches.

A few members of this site have also been researching this sort of thing via software- look up the freessm thread for details.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts