Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sorry, but this to me just admits they screwed up and it is not "fixable" (shakes and swaying)... which is why i may keep my 2011, but really am tempted for a new one.

FROM 2013 review.........
Numerous enhancements to the body structure, suspension and steering give the Outback an even smoother and quieter ride for 2013, while also helping increase handling agility. Greater stiffness at key points of the structure, including the front strut mounts and rear frame rails, helps to reduce transmission of vibration while also contributing to more responsive handling.
In tandem with the structural enhancements, Subaru increased the diameter of the double-wishbone rear suspension's sway bar and also increased the spring and damper rates and bushing stiffness. As a result, body roll has been reduced by up to 40 percent, and Subaru tests show a significant increase in emergency handling maneuver speed. The Outback driver will experience a more responsive, yet quieter vehicle overall.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Salp its not an admission however most American Auto consumers would view it that way given they aren't accustomed to Automakers listening to their customers. LOL

Subaru is simply doing what all their customers have asked them to do.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
Salp its not an admission however most American Auto consumers would view it that way given they aren't accustomed to Automakers listening to their customers. LOL

Subaru is simply doing what all their customers have asked them to do.
Agreed, and my 2011 does not shake or sway, also previous subarus dating back to at least 2005 have swayed as well. Do we really need to go round and round again?

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,128 Posts
I guess we are all just speculating on this but my take was they finally did some major re-design work to eliminate the shakes and wandering for MY2013. I have 2 2010's. Both are shake free. I was contemplating trading in for MY2012 but believe all they really did was dampen everything down and make the steering heavy in an attempt to reduce the shakes and wandering up until now. In reading all the posts from 2012 owners(some who have traded from shakers), people are generally pleased with the results. However, too many of the posts seem to have that little disclaimer like "only have a slight shake now at about 75mph, must be the cheap Conti tires, or must just need balancing, etc." I'm ready to take the chance with a 2013.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 3.6R Premium
1,104 Posts
IF I were to trade for a newer OB, it'd be for a 2013, to see these new "improvements." I agree with mpnret. Up until now, it seemed like they were just trying trying to dampen the symptoms into submission, not actually fix it. :8:

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,128 Posts
if i had to wager i bet the outback will be slightly lower as well to improve the handling. it is just a drop too tall and it added to the bodyroll.
How much would you be willing to wager?

per the April 4 press release: "The Outback continues with 8.7 inches of ground clearance, which is higher than many crossovers and some dedicated SUVs."

·
Registered
982 Posts
nothing to do with the 'shakes' having to do with the 40% body roll reduction they mentioned.
My money is on a new RSB and revised shocks, maybe they will revise the FSB, we'll have to see. I'm 99.99% sure ride height will be the same.

·
Registered
982 Posts
i purchased the sti bar but have not had an opportunity to install it yet. i hope it helps neutralize some of the slop in the suspension. outside of that i really do not have any serious complaints with this vehicle.
If I trade I'm putting my stock one back on. I still don't think the 2013 will be a full 19MM RSB. Even if it is I'm taking mine off and selling it on craigslist. Why give it away?

·
Registered
156 Posts
agreed, even if you only get $50 for it in the classifieds better than the dealer getting it since they're not paying up a dime for the extra parts.

when i first looked under the car to inspect the rsb area... i was surprised by how thin/narrow the stock bar is... it's almost like they used soldering wire as an rsb. it is the smallest bar i have seen on any car i have owned.

·
Registered
2011 OB Prem. 6MT
147 Posts
I am sorry, but this to me just admits they screwed up and it is not "fixable" (shakes and swaying)... which is why i may keep my 2011, but really am tempted for a new one.

FROM 2013 review.........
Numerous enhancements to the body structure, suspension and steering give the Outback an even smoother and quieter ride for 2013, while also helping increase handling agility. Greater stiffness at key points of the structure, including the front strut mounts and rear frame rails, helps to reduce transmission of vibration while also contributing to more responsive handling.
In tandem with the structural enhancements, Subaru increased the diameter of the double-wishbone rear suspension's sway bar and also increased the spring and damper rates and bushing stiffness. As a result, body roll has been reduced by up to 40 percent, and Subaru tests show a significant increase in emergency handling maneuver speed. The Outback driver will experience a more responsive, yet quieter vehicle overall.
That is an admission of what was screwed up on my 2010 and 2011 shaker Outbacks as far as I'm concerned. They definitely needed to address this openly but for me the relationship has been damaged beyond repair and I'll never buy another subaru.

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
766 Posts
maybe the 2013 will flatten the turns like an audi? my bet is they will be just a tad better than the 10-12 swaybutts with the 19mm rsb. 40% better than the original sloppy rear is not a data point I want to put my life on accellerating through a hairpin.

Surely, the mid-model freshening will be sharper in many regards. After the bottom line cost are minimized and efficiencies are maxed subie must look at feedback from focus groups, those surveys and maybe even this posting site when making design changes.

don't think I will write off Subie, but it is a bit frustrating not to have the suspension and chassis working in tight harmony on the 11.

I think I would feel worse about a 2010 mustang vs the 2012 mustang with regards to suspension upgrades.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 3.6R Premium
1,104 Posts
maybe the 2013 will flatten the turns like an audi? my bet is they will be just a tad better than the 10-12 swaybutts with the 19mm rsb. 40% better than the original sloppy rear is not a data point I want to put my life on accellerating through a hairpin.
I say this with my tongue FIRMLY in my cheek, but I'm sure "some" folks on this site would say it and mean it...

"You bought the wrong car!!"

·
Registered
"Tank" - 2011 OB 3.6R w/ Nav & Moonroof in Graphite Grey
872 Posts
I am fully satisfied with the way my 2011 3.6r handles with the RSB, King Springs and GT-Spec bar..... My wife's stock 2011 2.5i - not so much. I think the engineers at Subaru think Americans like cars the ride like 1970s Oldsmobuicks.

·
Registered
4th & 5th Subies: 2008 Legacy 3.0R, 2012 OB 3.6R LTD
49 Posts
Ok, I may be hypersensitive due to my 2011 having been bought back, but my 2012 3.6R LTD has 2000 miles on it and now has shaking issues -- minor perhaps compared to the 2011, but present nonetheless. They seem to be worse at cooler temperatures, and they strangely come and go (& are sometimes paradoxically worse on brand new pavement). A slight pulse can be felt in the steering wheel, and the shake comes from under the front seats when travelling at 60 mph and above. Additionally, you can see the long rear seatbelt vibrating constantly, at any speed. I have had this problem with both winter and now summer tires (Michelin Hydroedge, purchased with car), and I have had both balanced. I am going to get an alignment done because the local dealer here in Canada (the car was purchased in the US) won't look at it before I have this done, and they also want me to call SOA about it first.

I am about at my wits' end with the Outback, and I hear a voice in my head say just trade it in for something else. This is my 5th Subaru, and none have had this problem.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts