Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Perhaps, relevant to the tires, they've finally figured out that it was the tires.... All cars now have a different model Continental Pro Contact on them. Seems that cars after vin range D328xxxx for 2013 now come with an alternative "updated" tire.
About **** time those original Conti crap tires were horrible.

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,970 Posts
Perhaps, relevant to the tires, they've finally figured out that it was the tires.... All cars now have a different model Continental Pro Contact on them. Seems that cars after vin range D328xxxx for 2013 now come with an alternative "updated" tire.
This seems like a different problem that people are having in 13 vs 10 and 11. The 13 does better with the new model Conti, anyway I believe some folks with 10 or 11's changed tires and it did not make a difference with the shaking issue.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just picked up my 2013 2.5i Premium 6-Speed manual and no shaking whatsoever or lane drift for that matter at up to 80 MPH. It definitely drives different than the CR-V I had, feels more planted to the road.

I know, should not go that high in a new car but only did it for a min.:)

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Satin White Pearl
224 Posts
Just picked up my 2013 2.5i Premium 6-Speed manual and no shaking whatsoever or lane drift for that matter at up to 80 MPH. It definitely drives different than the CR-V I had, feels more planted to the road.

I know, should not go that high in a new car but only did it for a min.:)
Same here. I took delivery of my 2013 3.6R 3/15. No shaking or wandering noted. I've gotten it up to 70 mph a couple times. Very easy to exceed the speed limit because it's so smooth and quiet!

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
About **** time those original Conti crap tires were horrible.
I am just coming up on 36k on the original "Crap" tires.......They have never needed balancing, all still roll round, and look to have maybe 5-8k left in them. They may not be all things to all people, but they are better than any oem tire I have been subjected to. Of course, I only buy new cars every 8-10 years, and drive 'em until they are 15-20 years old, so I don't buy a lot of cars, so my experience is limited.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I am just coming up on 36k on the original "Crap" tires.......They have never needed balancing, all still roll round, and look to have maybe 5-8k left in them. They may not be all things to all people, but they are better than any oem tire I have been subjected to. Of course, I only buy new cars every 8-10 years, and drive 'em until they are 15-20 years old, so I don't buy a lot of cars, so my experience is limited.
There are 4 of us all with the 2.5 Limited CVT all close friends and all of us have had issues with them. Three of us by 25K could no longer rotate at least one tire due to the tire being so out of round it had to stay on the rear or it shook the front end regardless of balancing.

Three of us went to BFG touring tires in the last 9 months and the 4th tossed on some pricy Michelin tires. All of us agree the new tires are light years better than the garbage that came on the car. And no the cars do not have the dreaded shake. All are smooth now thanks to having decent tires.

My prior Subaru came with Bridgestone and 11yrs we even tried three other brands and the last set we put on the car were back to the OEM tires. The 2010 Legacy we have is running Bridgestone stock tires which have been fantastic. Looks like they will easily run 50K with proper winter tread depth at this point.

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 5.7 Hemi, Tow IV Package
589 Posts
I'm beginning to wonder if the poor reviews on the Continental tires (constant re-balance, flat spotting, etc) are due to the shake causing them to wear funny. I have had no shake and went 20,000 before the left rear (at the time) needed an extra 1/2oz. All the others are original weights.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5l limited
17 Posts
I too own a 2010 and had problems with the shakes. Numerous road force balancing never solved the problem and I just lived with it. I recently installed Michelin Defenders and it completely solved the problem. No more shakes even at speeds greater than 75mph.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently purchased a 2013 2.5 Premium and really enjoy the car. I do not have any of the steering wheel shake issues described in this thread but have experienced one issue related to this subject so thought I would ask here. I have never owned a Subaru before so not sure if this is normal or not.

During slow speed tight turns I experience a shake or shimmy at the steering wheel and a slight knocking sound. Example I live in a Cul de sac and this where I notice it while doing a 180 degree turn. I have also felt it less so during turns onto streets after a stop tho, so 90 degree turns. Is this normal? Thx!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I recently purchased a 2013 2.5 Premium and really enjoy the car. I do not have any of the steering wheel shake issues described in this thread but have experienced one issue related to this subject so thought I would ask here. I have never owned a Subaru before so not sure if this is normal or not.

During slow speed tight turns I experience a shake or shimmy at the steering wheel and a slight knocking sound. Example I live in a Cul de sac and this where I notice it while doing a 180 degree turn. I have also felt it less so during turns onto streets after a stop tho, so 90 degree turns. Is this normal? Thx!
I occasionally get that and it feels like when you turn and drive a 4x4 with the 4wd engaged on dry surfaces. Also search Wandering Outback on this forum. That is my biggest gripe.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts

The AWD system does vibrate some and make a low growl for a split second when you turn hard and accelerate. Even my Manual 5spd Subaru did this under the right conditions. Subaru's AWD is really AWD so in some cases it will load up all 4 wheels for a split second and the tires will more or less sort of fight each other and cause this. 100% normal as long as its just a very quick thing that stops about the time you notice it.

You can experience the extreme example of this in a 4x4 truck by locking it into the low gear and locking center diff and trying to turn it. All the tires trying to turn at the same speed actually make it impossible to turn the truck when the tires have good grip. For instance doing this on pavement you can actually sort of get the 4x4 stuck because its tires are all fighting each other and in a turn the tires don't turn at the same speed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thx for the replies, and yes it is similar to what you experience with a 4wd during turns while all 4 wheels are engaged, I've had a few part time 4wd veh's in the past.

Funny thing, while out yesterday it didn't do it at all even during tight turns, the car is still very new so maybe things are breaking in?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2013 vibrates like a vibrating recliner . Ive got 1700 miles on it and I love the car but Im fed up with the vibrations after a 700 mile trip this last weekend. Talked to suburu today. Im going to go and drive another new outback and see if its the same if not then Ive got a big problem. Service manager drove my car and told me it was normal but he didnt drive it on the highway just in traffic. Any other 2013 buyers have that problem?
I am having the same issue!!! Bought my 2013 Outback in July. Just yesterday, I was vibrating in my seat like I had one of those vibrating massagers that you throw over a chair!! The guy at the Subaru dealership said that chunks of snow that get between the tire and car throws off the alignment and that is the cause. He rambled this off so fast, like they know there is an issue and they do not want to deal with it! The chunks are not the issue because I cleared those off! I was adamant about brining it in, getting a loaner and them getting to the bottom of what is wrong with it... the vibrating/shaking comes to around 35-40mph+ and comes an goes upon acceleration. I also have an issue with the tire pressure warning light coming on... 3 times in 5 months... tires are fine!!! Bad sensor? I will have them check it because it's on again! This new car should not have these issues where I really feel as though driving, I may dump my transmission and end up on the side of the road! So glad I read someone else has this problem!!!

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,448 Posts
I am having the same issue!!! Bought my 2013 Outback in July. Just yesterday, I was vibrating in my seat like I had one of those vibrating massagers that you throw over a chair!! The guy at the Subaru dealership said that chunks of snow that get between the tire and car throws off the alignment and that is the cause. He rambled this off so fast, like they know there is an issue and they do not want to deal with it! The chunks are not the issue because I cleared those off! I was adamant about brining it in, getting a loaner and them getting to the bottom of what is wrong with it... the vibrating/shaking comes to around 35-40mph+ and comes an goes upon acceleration. I also have an issue with the tire pressure warning light coming on... 3 times in 5 months... tires are fine!!! Bad sensor? I will have them check it because it's on again! This new car should not have these issues where I really feel as though driving, I may dump my transmission and end up on the side of the road! So glad I read someone else has this problem!!!
Did you get ALL the snow and ice from inside the wheels? It does not take much snow in the inside of the rims to shake a car.

The shake issue is solved...It has been solved since early '11 factory model...I had an original shaker...build date of 2009 and have followed this from the beginning of when it was first discovered. I know this problem well...followed it through to it's end as I had a vested interest in it.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5
136 Posts
Likewise, accumulation of mud inside the rims will also cause an imbalance and result in "shaking". I live on a dirt road and have encountered this issue.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts