Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Hopefully a '13 Outback 2.5i Premium, all weather, graphite gray.
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I've been stalking the forum for a few weeks now in preparation for my first Subaru purchase (been wanting one for 12 years but have been too cheap, too broke in school, or too starting a business to pull the trigger :)).

I have decided on a '13 Outback 2.5i Premium CVT, all weather, popular package 1a in Graphite Gray. The dealer that I am going to make my offer to has four in this spec on the lot or in transit. I know that the forum goal is about 2% below invoice but does anyone have another site that they trust to check dealer invoice? I have only used Truecar but don't want to trust my research to just one site and I want to go in to the dealer with one take it or leave it offer. Also, I am VIP eligible through Leave No Trace at the end of this month and a Costco member (any rumor to when Costco pricing on '13 Outbacks will come up?). Am I better off waiting for VIP for the dealer? Do they get a kickback if you use VIP rather than just negotiate?

And anything that you new owners would have done differently? Add the fenders, the side molding, or wrap the whole thing in 3M? I am really excited to join the Outback community and I appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Do the add on bits after you settle on price. A really good dealer and sales guy will simply tell you to buy those items online for far less than they could sell them to you.

3m shield the really good shops have a roll of it and use a plotter to cut templates which they then install on your car. The fly by night shops by cheap knock off pre cut templates and install them - they tend to charge you the same price that the really good shops charge for the REAL thing! I know this because a good friend owns a shop that does this and I've had him do some custom templates for me which I use on my boat. The roll of real 3M shield material is not cheap and the plotter is a big investment though a good shop will do all sorts of work with this gear and do a good business with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. Five min on the forum and I found all three of the "options" that I wanted online for a significant discount. I don't mind cleaning the door and peeling and sticking a door molding to save $100.

I think I have decided to try for 2.5% under invoice and falling back on the VIP if needed. Does anyone have advice on this. Should I start by showing other dealers my quotes or go into each one individually with my offer?

·
Registered
156 Posts
^Agreed. Did AAA pricing. Got a quote for 1% below invoice. Took it to another dealer and said if he could beat it, I would buy today. He came back with 2.5% under invoice. Good luck.
Where are you from?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the good wishes, hoping to get a response like that.

I live in the city, practice in Naperville. You around here?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts