Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5XT Limited w/ 103K and counting
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my 05 XT for about a month and I am absolutely loving the car. There's one thing that is bothering me though and that's an incredibly low gas mileage average. I know, I know. It's a thirsty turbo and if I wanted to go econo I should have gotten the 2.5i. BUT The info panel read 15.6mpg on my last tank, but I did the math and it came out closer to 14ish. I did some reading up on it since I had just gotten the car back from a banjo bolt filter removal and found they had overfilled my oil (super frustrating). Took it back in, got the levels right, and was hoping with less mechanical drag I'd get that mileage back. Nope. Any ideas?

A few notes:
  • I keep the tires properly inflated
  • Most of my driving is city (I'd be happy with 17mpg which I hear is typical)
  • I don't have a roof rack
  • It's been cold so I haven't had A/C on (heat occasionally)
  • It's a 5EAT
Either way, super proud to be here and super excited to start working on her.

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,195 Posts
got any rom-raider logs?

anyone mod or tune that for more power? (possibly more fuel being sucked).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I picked her up used with 102K and I was curious whether anyone had tuned it. It's a one owner car (dealership bought though) with no visible modifications except an aftermarket XM radio add on. As far as I can tell it's dead stock, but I guess I better buy a cable to check. Thanks!

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
14mpg isn't an indicator of a problem, unfortunately.

Short trips in traffic in cold weather is enough to do that in a healthy XT.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
I can get 14MPG in Mal or Kaylee in the right city winter conditions...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
14mpg isn't an indicator of a problem, unfortunately.

Short trips in traffic in cold weather is enough to do that in a healthy XT.
Heck, as long as she's healthy I'm glad to hear it. I was just curious how many other XT owners find themselves with the similar numbers. After that I guess I can worry about more fun problems. Would love to get a tune...

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,195 Posts
Heck, as long as she's healthy I'm glad to hear it. I was just curious how many other XT owners find themselves with the similar numbers. After that I guess I can worry about more fun problems. Would love to get a tune...

@traildogck has a 2005 XT in greater denver.

tuning = $165 Tactrix and

not just a plain cable. (or bricking the ECU/TCU is what will happen).

·
12,306 Posts
I see you're in Chicago. That's where my Kaylee is from and why she is dissolving from the inside out circa 2003-2014. Rush hour winter traffic there...I could about watch my fuel gauge drop in my NA Subaru in dead of winter. Along with my will to live when lake effect wind chill would hit me upside the everything.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,195 Posts
I see you're in Chicago. That's where my Kaylee is from and why she is dissolving from the inside out circa 2003-2014. Rush hour winter traffic there...I could about watch my fuel gauge drop in my NA Subaru in dead of winter. Along with my will to live when lake effect wind chill would hit me upside the everything.
oh, you make it seem like some awful place own a car,

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,119 Posts
I live in the city and do mostly, if not all city driving.

14 is low-ish. My tuned/built car gets 13-14. But it's pushing a ton of fuel. Cherry still has a tune but 16 and change, sometimes 15 and change is what I get.

Now this last tank was mixed with some highway at decent speeds, not gridlock and I actually rocked a 19.4. Whats nice, both of my computers are dead on for mileage. I like that, I can trust them.

·
12,306 Posts
If that's the Blizzard of 2011...I was there for that. Spent 20 solid hours trying to keep my campus grounds cleared enough to not be a safety hazard. Whew, I still don't think my back has forgiven me. It was kinda neat to see the snow higher than Kaylee's mirror though. Somewhere I have a pic of a friend standing where his Camry was parked on the street. Can't see the cars at all, just an oddly placed STOP sign that comes out of the snow and is about at knee height to him.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Trip length counts for a lot.

The ECU will just shovel the fuel in for the first 6-12 minutes depending on ambient temps. It is gallantly trying to raise exhaust and coolant temps to where it has a prayer of scoring decent MPG. If all of your travel happens while it is in pyromania mode, you'll always see low numbers.

It also isn't proof the car is healthy either.

You should, on the same cold day, also be able to get 25-27MPG if you were to get on an empty interstate, lock the cruise control at 59mph and hang out in the right lane mile after mile with no interruption or congestion.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru OUtback XT
88 Posts
My 06 OBXT 5EAT I have been getting an average of 18.2 to 17.7 with just two fill ups so far. The weather temps have dropped over those two tanks, 45-50F for the first tank and now its been 29-35F. When cold the shifts are hard and you can smell the rich fuel too. Wife is not happy with the gas mileage but it is what it is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
oh, you make it seem like some awful place own a car,
]
I just about shot a drink of water out of my nose from that LSD pic combined with that "will to live" comment.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru OUtback XT
88 Posts
I have a picture of my 1974 Dodge Charger incased in ice like that top picture. A very cold day and wave action spray kept spraying water over the car and it froze in place. Took 3 days to get it out.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd Obsidian Black 5MT
1,079 Posts
My last fillup:

Now granted, I'm in the middle of tuning and fuel is getting dumped in there, but yeah, it's not the greatest of efficient vehicles. I was seeing closer to 18mpg during the summer.

Plus it depends on how much I let it idle and warm up since it's cold now. I don't miss the really harsh midwest winters too much. Plus no salt on the roads here. Sometimes it could use it, but my car isn't slowly dissolving.

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,195 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
16 Posts
I used to get around 18-20 in my 06 Legacy GT 5EAT with some highway and some city driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
My 06 OBXT 5EAT I have been getting an average of 18.2 to 17.7 with just two fill ups so far. The weather temps have dropped over those two tanks, 45-50F for the first tank and now its been 29-35F. When cold the shifts are hard and you can smell the rich fuel too. Wife is not happy with the gas mileage but it is what it is.
Is it actually rich exhaust smell or more like raw fuel smell?

The older age cars can weep fuel from the hose connections under the intake when temps drop below 40F. The hose clamps loosen-up and weep until the engine bay temp rises and the hoses expand.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts