Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my Jeep and I want to come back to an Outback. I am going to look at an '08 Outback with a 5spd manual trans. Car looks great in the pics. 76k miles.

I understand that HG can still be an issue. What should I look at when I go to see it?

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca Now - 2004 Outback EJ259 - Sold
1,072 Posts
Common problems I see on this generation Outback:
-Headgaskets
-Front differential CV oil seal leaks
-Torn CV boots throwing grease everywhere
-Front and rear sway bar endlinks worn out
-Airbag light on? Pull the code, will probably be airbag indicator failure -mounted on ceiling, when key on needs to indicate passenger airbag is OFF or ON, if it shows neither its bad (there is a thread floating around here, you can repair the solder on a SMD resistor for a fix rather than replacing the whole unit as the dealer does)
-Check that alignment is good, look for even tire wear
-Externally Leaking Oil pressure sensor near OSV solenoid
-Timing belt done recently? Do that
-Wheel bearings
-Brakes that never get serviced

·
Registered
'18 3.6R Ltd
731 Posts
A more responsive reply would be to ask "Which model of '08 Outback are we talking about?" Neither of our XT Subarus of that vintage has exhibited any of ntippet's symptoms. The base models might (in terms of headgasket issues), I guess, but the H6 models seem less prone to them.

So what are we talking about here? HPH

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca Now - 2004 Outback EJ259 - Sold
1,072 Posts
Here I will amend the first sentence:

Common problems I see on this generation Outback from owners that like to drive their vehicles into the ground and perform no services.

These are things you look out for when buying used. (Most forum members know how to take care of their vehicles)
Everything but the headgaskets is still applicable to XT and H6 models as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts