Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Forester 2.5XS
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I love my '03 Forester 2.5XS but it is getting really rough and noisy and I'm ready for more power and new electronics (buggy/beta as they seem to be from reading this forum).

I'd really like a custom build of the '18 Outback 3.6 Touring - I want the auto start, LED light upgrade, and the Thule crossbars, in Wilderness green. I keep my cars for a long time so I don't want to compromise or pay more for a bunch of extraneous crap. I am forced into the touring trim because I kayak and the integrated rails are a disaster for 12'+ kayaks. Also the 2.5 always seemed underpowered so am looking forward to more oomph.

When I bought my Forester, the dealership found one in the color/trim I wanted coming off the line, and I was able to pick the accessories and the whole process was easy and I paid a fair price - waited a while for it but I don't mind that. This was in high contrast to the other local dealership, who basically laughed in my face when I told them what I wanted, so I know this is NOT the standard experience.

Does anyone have experience ordering, and do you know whether this is a thing dealers will do readily? Due to the terrible experience at the one dealership, I'm a little reluctant to try this again if it's not a done thing. But the 3.6 Touring is just not one that is in high supply in my area, and especially not in green.

Also, does anyone know when the best time to do this would be? I'd like to buy before April (to avoid paying taxes on my old car and a new one) but the Forester is fine so no rush. Just don't know if there is a time dealers are more motivated.

Sorry for the long post, any advice appreciated! :smile2:

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
209 Posts
No need to over complicate things. What you seek isn't really a "custom" thing. Any Subaru dealer can find you that vehicle and if not then they may order it. The dealer will search within a few hundred miles and find one for you. It may be closer than you think. The LED headlights are standard, the Thule Crossbar can get added as an accessory at the dealership. Same with the "auto start" if you're meaning remote start. No big deal, really. Initially when i got my 18 Limited and this is right when they were coming out in August, there wasn't much inventory around so my dealer found one in the next state over. They were going to get me that one but it got bought up, then coincidentally one came into there dealership the next week almost exactly like what I wanted but with a few extra things I didn't need, (cargo net, winter mats, maybe something else) so I took it. I didn't even try to abuse the dealership over the extra stuff, I just took it. WTF it wasn't that much extra and I got my car right then. Good luck.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Touring
8 Posts
I ordered my 2018 3.6 Touring in dark blue pearl, in September. It took about 7 weeks. The dealer had one in stock, but it had the accessory package which I didn't want. I only wanted the auto-dimming side mirrors. They were happy to order it for me, gave me a decent price. The only issue I had, was Subaru of America sent me the order conformation email with the wrong order number, VIN and delivery date.

So far I'm happy with the Outback and the dealer.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
I have ordered three heavily optioned/accessorized OB's in the last six years from two different dealers. All were ordered within weeks of new year release. Form some reason my close dealer would not order my first one . I went to my next closest dealer and they ordered straight away. My close dealer was then more than happy to order the last two. Who knows why.

Takeaway: Don't get stuck on one dealer. They are fluid. Contact several dealers by email. Relate what you want to order and what you think is a fair price. Don't chase the ultimate deal. When you're driving away smiling in your new OB you and the dealer will both appreciate it.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Touring
346 Posts
I told my dealer what I wanted. We agreed on a price. They ran a locator search and found one with some stuff I didn't care about like cargo net, approach lights and a couple other minor things. They asked for a $500 deposit to go get it. I didn't have to hassle or pay for those extra things, the agreed upon price was what I paid. I walked away happy.

·
Registered
2017 subaru outback touring 3.6 lifted
11 Posts
did you try an look at online shopping? i bought by 17 outback touring 3.6 in green, by shopping the dealers in my state.. i found 3 cars that had what i wanted. i called and got a price from all three and then finalized price with the lowest price dealer.. and picked it up the next day.. luv the car!!! wilderness green with java brown leather...

·
Registered
2015 Carbide Gray Outback 3.6R with EyeSight
176 Posts
Not only did my dealer was happy to order my Outback, they told me upfront that with the options I wanted in 3.6R ordering was pretty much the only option. I used Subaru's website to build the exact car I wanted, emailed it to me dealer, she called me at agreed upon time to confirm the option and took the order over the phone. I made a fully refundable $500 deposit over the phone to place an order, and had my car waiting at the dealership about 7-8 weeks later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts