Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Subaru DL wagon, 06 Outback maybe
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1st post;
I have a chance to buy the 06 Outback from a Subaru mechanic who purchased from a client. The engine needs to be replaced , it has 220,000 miles on it but otherwise looks really clean. My question is what else should i be wary of with that many miles? He tells me that for an additional $3000 i can have a crate engine installed. There are few maint records available. The car starts but sounds like a bad rod or lower end issue. He says everything else works fine. Is that a good price? and if so, what else should i replace while getting a new engine?
thanks a bunch...
Subaru is new to me...but i like them

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
Make sure the trans & AWD are working correctly. If it can putter around a parking lot, you can test drive this. If all 4 tires don't match in brand, model, size & treadwear, then it is possible that the AWD system has been taking a beating.

Drive tight circles & figure 8s to make sure it doesn't bind up in tight turns- that's a sign of trans/AWD problems.

For that age & mileage it's likely that all 4 struts are shot, brakes would at least need an inspection, and I'd be amazed if the car didn't need at least one wheel bearing.

If you get that far, find out what killed the original engine- it may involve something still on the car which ought to be replaced prior to putting in a new engine.

·
Registered
87 Subaru DL wagon, 06 Outback maybe
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rasterman, I will attempt to follow your suggestions tomorrow and let you know. Anyone else want to make a suggestion?

·
Registered
2006 2.5i
95 Posts
$3k for an outback with a brand new engine or $3k for the car + another $3k for the engine? That's a pretty good deal either way really.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
6k for a car with 220k miles on the frame (there is for sure a lot of issues that will need to be resolved) and an unknown transmission and potential problems with the new engine if the install doesn't go well?

I would stay on the sidelines if it was me.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
6k for the car with a crate engine installed sounds decent. the deal will live or die on the condition of the rest of the car and how much work is required to bring it all up...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts