Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just joined this forum. I'm getting out of my 2005 Prius. My mom is getting that car to drive around town. I prefer for her to have it since it only has 80K miles and a brand new hybrid battery replaced. (Ouch, that hurt.)

I just test drove a used 2015 Outback premium and really liked it. However, I decided I'd rather invest a little more in new 2017 2.5i. I received a quote from one internet manager. He offered a discount of $1800 off MSRP, but add-ons such window tinting and VTR (whatever that is) ate up $600 off that discount. His second offer basically backed out the $600 in add-ons.

Is that really the best deal I can expect? I would be interested in your recent purchase experiences in the Phoenix area or any advice you can offer in negotiating for a new OB.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,728 Posts
... add-ons such window tinting and VTR (whatever that is) ate up $600 off that discount.
1) Premium trim already includes tinted windows (from the factory).

2) VTR = Vehicle Title & Registration.

My advice: Find another, more ethical dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, the quote was for the base model - not sure if those windows are factory tinted for that level. Due to the extreme summer heat here in Arizona, its common for people to have additional custom tint installed over factory tinted windows.

However, I am questioning the VTR charge of $200 since there is also listed a separate charge for License and Registration of $460.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Actually, the quote was for the base model - not sure if those windows are factory tinted for that level. Due to the extreme summer heat here in Arizona, its common for people to have additional custom tint installed over factory tinted windows.

However, I am questioning the VTR charge of $200 since there is also listed a separate charge for License and Registration of $460.
Check another thread devoted to recent OB prices. Most are now getting 3000 below invoice. Not below MSRP. Check TrueCar for invoice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sounds like this might be a shady dealer. Tint already comes with the car. Taxes and license fees are usually not included with the price of the car, unless you can agree on an OTD price that includes everything. Best advice I can give you is to shop around, and try to do it over the internet to save yourself a lot of time and frustration. Good dealers will usually sell you the car at invoice (or below) without haggling or pushing extra crap like tint, body wraps, or underbody protection.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5i
339 Posts
Check carjojo.com and cars.com, also. You still need to contact the dealers for best prices, but I have found the sites good for filtering through who has what in big markets, and will typically pick up when a dealer has a web-advertised price cut (e.g., Peoria & Camelback).

I was originally thinking $1.8k off msrp wasn't even to invoice, but if this is for a base 2.5, it's probably ~invoice. I wouldn't expect $3k off invoice for a base 2.5, but there are Phoenix area dealers offering at $2.5k off msrp, at least. And while I won't try to upsell you or know anything about your budget, the 2.5 Premium+eyesight might be worth a look, and there are likely to be more of them available.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5, Ice Silver
889 Posts
Bought my 2016 Prem at Subaru Peoria? By 101 @ Bell rd. You def need more tint here in Phoenix. 3m Crystalline 40% all around is what I'd suggest. It matches very well, and provides great protection while not blacking out and looking like your cruising in the hood. Its expensive but well worth in my opinion. There are a couple installers in East and West Valley. Private message me if you have any questions.

Honestly I didn't spend much time looking for the best $deal, as it was way more important that I find the right vehicle to give me hopefully years of good service. Found the model/color I wanted and sooooooo happy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts