Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was difficult to unlatch rail so I tried to pull a bit on the spring with needle nose pliers and pulled it completely out. I haven't been able to reinsert it. I've tried using a plastic straw to push and keep it aligned. Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
724 Posts
deirdre66,

Always give your year, model and mileage when posting. It really narrows down where we need to start with an issue.

As for your fix, don't try anything until you have the entire rail removed from the car. Its too difficult to work with small parts in awkward positions and too easy to lose them.

Either remove the rear bolt with the Torx bit, or from under the rail close to the end you need to fix, there are two more Torx bit bolts that can be removed and the entire fastening end can be removed.

Once that has been accomplished, work on putting the parts back together while everything, parts, tools and your hands are inside a large baggie/transparent bag. Small parts and springs can suddenly be sprung off into the garage or the lawn never to be seen again. Ask me how I know,

Use your other rail to see how parts are oriented, and be prepared to do a lot of trial and error. The rails are not ever to be serviced, so there will not be any parts available from Subaru. You'll be expected to buy either an entire arm or an entire roof rack assembly, both sides. If you can't fix yours, get another rail from a junkyard for a 2010 to 2015 OutBack and change it over. The rails are the same on both sides of the car. They just point different directions.

It is possible that the rail clamp assembly has two springs, one that folds the fastening lift tab down when you release it, and another that springs the lock tooth forward when you release the fastening lift tab. I've never had one of these apart, but its obvious that the pin that holds the fastening lift tab is larger on one end than the other, and it must be driven out with a small diameter drift towards the larger end. It must go back in in the reverse direction. After removing that pin, you should be able to figure out which order and direction each of the parts must go. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same issue. Take a look at the working side and you will see that the spring goes straight down with one side in a small groove and the other going into the opening. I used needle nose vice grips to hold the spring perpendicular to the assembly. Compress the spring and push it in. The lever needs to close for the spring to go all the way in so close it as much as you can with the vice grips still in there (which is why you need needle nose vice grips, not the regular ones). When it's closed as far as you can get it release the vice grips and close the rest of the way. The spring will pop the latch out as it goes in the rest of the way. You definitely need to unscrew the crossbar and work on it on the ground or workbench. I hope this helps. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts