Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
'21 Outback Touring XT, '00 4Runner 5-Speed
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just purchased a new 2021 Subaru Outback Touring XT, and I have have already decided to upgrade the wheels and tires after putting less than 500 miles on the original set.

From your experience, is it worth selling the wheels and tires as a package or should I sell them each individually? Outside of Craigslist or eBay, are there any specific marketplaces for used OEM Subaru parts?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
202 Posts
Lots of good combos out there. Make sure you include the cost of the TPMS Sensors and any programming.

·
Registered
51 Posts
those look pretty pristine still. make very good pictures of every angle - and place them everywhere you can think of. i would do them as a package just be upfront and include all the information you can think of.

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
704 Posts
I'd consider selling the wheels/tires (if you're not going to keep the tires and transfer them to your new wheels) as a set. You can transfer the existing TPMS sensors to your new wheels and sell the OEM set without them, or sell the sensors with the set. If you do sell them, be sure to include pricing for replacement and programming the new TPMS sensors if you do.

Reactions: kapsford

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you live in an area where temps are routinely 45 degrees or below in winter, and / or you drive on snow or ice: Keep the original wheels to mount dedicated snow tires to. You can sell the OEM tires on Craigslist or this site; or Discount Tire may give you trade-in value if you buy the winter tires from them. The 225/60 R18 tire isn't that common on brands other than Subaru, so selling the tires alone may take awhile to find a buyer.

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring XT Autumn Green
38 Posts
Not sure if I've ever kept stock wheel/tire combo on my vehicles :)

My experience in selling the OEM set is using Craigslist local delivery only within 60 minutes of my zip code. Figure about 50-60 percent retail value and if you are selling the TPMS edge more on the 60% side. On all my past vehicles I likely could have made another 100-150...but I understand they would be sitting in the basement and causing a discussion piece with the wife. Trying to explain why perfectly good wheels/tires are sitting in the basement.... The outback is very popular vehicle, however it's not typically modified as much as say a WRX/STI. Still... if you ask a fair price (50-60% retail) they should move relatively quickly. I would not sell the wheels/tires separately. That's more work on your part and likely not much of a return (compared to simply selling the entire set).

I'll be doing the same in a few weeks (COVID causing SCM issues...). I ordered my wheel/tire set over a month ago.

good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all - The advice is much appreciated. Seems like it is much harder than I anticipated selling the set of 4 tires. I live in Denver, so putting winter tires on the original wheels is an option, but I upgraded to Falken Wildpeaks which should be fine for the winter, so I don't know if having a set of dedicated snow tires is worth taking up the extra space for me.

I was hoping more people would be interested in buying even just one wheel at a time for a full sized spare or something like that, but no luck. Highest offer I have received is $, which seems a bit low for a full set of almost new wheels and tires. I have them up on craigslist and FB and I guess will just see if anyone comes back with something higher. When I purchased the aftermarket wheels I told my wife, "oh yeah, someone would easily buy the original ones for close to retail...in a week they'll be gone!" 😬 Sounds like I should expect 50-60% retail then.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring XT Autumn Green
38 Posts
Thanks all - The advice is much appreciated. Seems like it is much harder than I anticipated selling the set of 4 tires. I live in Denver, so putting winter tires on the original wheels is an option, but I upgraded to Falken Wildpeaks which should be fine for the winter, so I don't know if having a set of dedicated snow tires is worth taking up the extra space for me.

I was hoping more people would be interested in buying even just one wheel at a time for a full sized spare or something like that, but no luck. Highest offer I have received is $, which seems a bit low for a full set of almost new wheels and tires. I have them up on craigslist and FB and I guess will just see if anyone comes back with something higher. When I purchased the aftermarket wheels I told my wife, "oh yeah, someone would easily buy the original ones for close to retail...in a week they'll be gone!" 😬 Sounds like I should expect 50-60% retail then.

Thanks again.

take the $. That's a solid offer. I've never been able to achieve over 60% retail for a set of OEM wheels/tires. As long as it's not more than 60 min from your place for the exchange. Take the cash and look towards the next mod.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,965 Posts
plenty of people sell cast off new wheels and tires right on this forum's classifieds, and willing to pay shipping.

I have even bought used snows / OEM rims here. (met the fellow member half way so we each drove 40 miles).

but yeah, local craigslist/ etc. is nice for zero cost shipping.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,965 Posts
oh, and you might try to sell them still mounted at first,

and after a few months, offer to split them.
(so you can sell the subaru rims to outback / legacy people who want snow rims etc, and sell the tires to some other branded car people that have one that takes the same size as the outback.

·
Registered
143 Posts
... I live in Denver, so putting winter tires on the original wheels is an option, but I upgraded to Falken Wildpeaks which should be fine for the winter, so I don't know if having a set of dedicated snow tires is worth taking up the extra space for me.

I was hoping more people would be interested in buying even just one wheel at a time for a full sized spare or something like that, but no luck. Highest offer I have received is $, which seems a bit low for a full set of almost new wheels and tires...

Thanks again.
Just my 2 cents, but if I lived in Denver, I would definitely use the wheels for dedicated snows. Snows will give better performance on snow & ice than A/T tires, and the investment is well worth it for peace of mind in avoiding an accident, or even just avoiding getting stuck. The Wildpeaks would then last a longer time, too; so over time you're arguably even on total cost for rubber/miles. If you're willing to sell the full OEM set for $500 (realistic IMHO): alternatively, keeping the wheels, and if Discount Tire were to give you $160 trade-in for the tires, that means you'd be getting dedicated wheels plus TPMS for the equivalent of $340.

The motivation for buyers for a full set of OEM wheels is in fact for use with dedicated snow tires.

The motivation for buyers for a single wheel-tire combo is for use as full-size spare. Check the For-Sale section of this site: one member did recently sell 4 single OEM wheel with tire to separate buyers, apparently for $250 each.

Sellers of full sets have had mixed results at different price points. I myself bought a full set including TPMS for $500, and both I and the seller felt good about it. I haven't seen many full sets actually being sold for much more (as opposed to being offered and sitting unsold at higher price).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just my 2 cents, but if I lived in Denver, I would definitely use the wheels for dedicated snows. Snows will give better performance on snow & ice than A/T tires, and the investment is well worth it for peace of mind in avoiding an accident, or even just avoiding getting stuck. The Wildpeaks would then last a longer time, too; so over time you're arguably even on total cost for rubber/miles. If you're willing to sell the full OEM set for $500 (realistic IMHO): alternatively, keeping the wheels, and if Discount Tire were to give you $160 trade-in for the tires, that means you'd be getting dedicated wheels plus TPMS for the equivalent of $340.

The motivation for buyers for a full set of OEM wheels is in fact for use with dedicated snow tires.

The motivation for buyers for a single wheel-tire combo is for use as full-size spare. Check the For-Sale section of this site: one member did recently sell 4 single OEM wheel with tire to separate buyers, apparently for $250 each.

Sellers of full sets have had mixed results at different price points. I myself bought a full set including TPMS for $500, and both I and the seller felt good about it. I haven't seen many full sets actually being sold for much more (as opposed to being offered and sitting unsold at higher price).

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the detailed info - very helpful!

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6
203 Posts
I paid $500 for a set of 'like new' rims and tires. I got 50,000 miles out of my original Duellers (I can get another 10,000 out of them as a summer tire). Way cheaper than buying a set of new tires only. Like you, not sure I need anything more than All terrains in Pac NW. Duellers do just fine for me. We'll see.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lessons learned from selling wheels:

For anyone else looking to sell their wheels, it turns out that there are buyers willing to pay $250 to $300 per wheel/tire if they are in excellent condition - sold my set for $1200, and honestly could have gotten more if I had waited for more offers. I would suggest FB Marketplace as it seemed to yield the highest number of views and offers when compared to Craigslist. Also try selling in your local market area first as opposed to selling on national level through eBay since more price competition will likely keep you from selling your wheels at a fair price.

I have heard that entire sets go for much less and that's probably due to a number of sellers that were fine selling their wheels for almost nothing, thus setting the precieved market value ridiculously low. In my opinion, anything less than $200 per wheel/tire is way too low if your set has less than 5,000 miles on them, but to each their own.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lessons learned from selling wheels:

For anyone else looking to sell their wheels, it turns out that there are buyers willing to pay $250 to $300 per wheel/tire if they are in excellent condition - sold my set for $1200, and honestly could have gotten more if I had waited for more offers. I would suggest FB Marketplace as it seemed to yield the highest number of views and offers when compared to Craigslist. Also try selling in your local market area first as opposed to selling on national level through eBay since more price competition will likely keep you from selling your wheels at a fair price.

I have heard that entire sets go for much less and that's probably due to a number of sellers that were fine selling their wheels for almost nothing, thus setting the precieved market value ridiculously low. In my opinion, anything less than $200 per wheel/tire is way too low if your set has less than 5,000 miles on them, but to each their own.
I listed a set on the 2020+ Outback Owner facebook group and was scolded for listing the same price you sold yours for. A couple guys were being douches. I'll try the marketplace. Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I listed a set on the 2020+ Outback Owner facebook group and was scolded for listing the same price you sold yours for. A couple guys were being douches. I'll try the marketplace. Thanks.
Yeah, I tried the facebook groups as well, and didn't hear anything back. I did set my price at $1 on all my posts so that I could chat with each person individually and adjust pricing up and down based on feedback I got. A LOT of people laugh/respond with low ball offers and then try to act like economists on wheel pricing, but there are some that are willing to offer a fair price. It may even be worth creating a separate post marketing them as "full sized spare tire - $300 OBO" for 6th gen owners. I think the Onyx is the only one that came with a full sized spare and a few new outback owners expressed interest that way as well. Good Luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts