Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is just an issue with 2012s or our insurance company's glass dealer, but check the mounting location for the rearview mirror on the replacement glass before you have it installed.

The factory glass has the rearview mirror mount about 2 inches higher on the windshield than the replacement glass. Not a major issue, except that the cord for the rearview mirror that powers the compass and backup camera isn't long enough for the new mount position. It works, but puts tension on the cord and can't be covered with the plastic clip.

Neither I nor the glass tech noticed that until after the new glass was installed. Our insurance company authorized another replacement using OEM glass since the glass dealer checked its suppliers and all their glass appears to have a different mounting location.

So short story, check the mount points first and if they don't match then get the OEM glass. It's about $700 for OEM glass vs $300 for the 3rd party glass so, like body work, insurance is going to want to use 3rd party suppliers if possible.

·
Registered
Not a Subaru
43 Posts
As someone who is quite familiar with the glass industry I cannot stress the importance of demanding OEM glass and having a professional do the replacement and not some hack working out of his garage. Ask your dealer for a recommendation.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I just had my windshield replaced with an aftermarket, non-oem glass. No issues with the Safelite install.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts