Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's been a bumpy year for my family and for our first Outback.

I bought an '11 Premium back in August 2011 and had minor accidents.

I was thinking that I need to drive this vehicle until wheels fall off due to the diminished value, but everyday I am driving it, I feel like something is not quite right. :(

As such, I am now mulling over the idea of trading this vehicle in for either 2012 or 2013 one. The primary reason I am thinking about yet another Outback is that (correct me if I am wrong) I might get a better trade-in value from a Subaru dealer than anyone else.

1. The vehicle is in a mint condition, and the repair was done professionally at a local Subaru dealership / bodyshop. Currently at 8,800 miles, how much do you think I can realistically get for this one? Am I dreaming to get $20K or better? Does anyone have access here to auction price?

2. Between 2012 and 2013: how much are you willing to pay more for 2013 Premium? $1,000?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/nav/eye
366 Posts
It's been a bumpy year for my family and for our first Outback.

I bought an '11 Premium back in August 2011 and had a parking-lot accident only 1,000 miles later. About six months later, my spouse had yet another minor accident.

I was thinking that I need to drive this vehicle until wheels fall off due to the diminished value, but everyday I am driving it, I feel miserable. :(

As such, I am now mulling over the idea of trading this vehicle in for either 2012 or 2013 one. The primary reason I am thinking about yet another Outback is that (correct me if I am wrong) I might get a better trade-in value from a Subaru dealer than anyone else.

1. The vehicle is in a mint condition, and the repair was done professionally at a local Subaru dealership / bodyshop. Currently at 8,800 miles, how much do you think I can realistically get for this one? Am I dreaming to get $20K or better? Does anyone have access here to auction price?

2. Between 2012 and 2013: how much are you willing to pay more for 2013 Premium? $1,000?

Thank you!
do you feel a bad omen or something? upgrading to a newer year will cure all? i guess i don't understand your logic.

·
Registered
'13 XV Crosstrek Premium CVT
380 Posts
For new, the price difference between '12 and '13 is about $200. However, some dealerships may be willing to take more $$ off a '12 than a '13 depending on how they do pricing, which could cause the price difference to grow.

I went with the '13 simply because of the mid-cycle refresh changes to the '13...I liked it better than the '12. Handling is a little better, I like the gauges better, I like the round foglights better, the CVT has been updated and feels a little better to me, and 2013 has a timing chain rather than a timing belt. The $200 difference was a no-brainer for me.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
start by asking the dealer.

selling it yourself is the best bet. there are folks that would love to get into a 2011 Subaru that would be totally fine with it being wrecked and properly repaired. your marketing to a smaller group of course but they are out there.

i sold a legacy wagon at nearly full price that i repaired. fully documented, disclosed that and of course it was completely tuned up - new brakes, plugs, etc.

"feel miserable"? due to what?

depending on the repair - accident repairs can be completely benign - bolt on some new parts, paint, and it's as good as new. sounds like yours was rather simple and not a big deal.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do you feel a bad omen or something? upgrading to a newer year will cure all? i guess i don't understand your logic.
Yeah, a bad omen in a sense. The feeling that something is not right. It often reminds me of the day that I had the first accident. :(

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
What were the circumstances of these accidents (who was at fault), how does the 013 solve it?<O:p</O:p
How is your car ‘mint’, what was the extent of the damage/repair, is it reported on Carfax?<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
Go to MySubaru and punch in your VIN to see what the Gauranteed Trade value is-- if it qualifies. There are many exclusions. That would be a good start. Then as grossgary says- go to the dealer. The actual cost to trade might be prohibitive. It never hurts to ask.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
for most, the word "accident" means apocalyptic where really it's more variable and not so black and white. let those of us that have experience with this help you out.

if you have any before pictures of the wrecks or offer details, those of us that have actually pulled these things apart, had to use hydraulics to straighten and rebuild them, etc will be able to comment for you. you may just have to wade through other inexperienced posts that make assumptions or guesses.

don't let uncertainty unnecessarily paralyze you. if you post a picture i can pretty much spell it out for you and help either mitigate your concerns or validate your fears as being practical and worth moving on.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5i Premium
377 Posts
Using my zip code and saying that you have navigation and sunroof shows a rough trade-in at $21,525 and a clean trade-in at $24,050. Now if you don't don't have sunroof or navigation take off $1,000. Just remember these are starting points. I think you should be able to get $20,000 easy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if you have any before pictures of the wrecks or offer details, those of us that have actually pulled these things apart, had to use hydraulics to straighten and rebuild them, etc will be able to comment for you. you may just have to wade through other inexperienced posts that make assumptions or guesses.
You can find a pretty detailed post on my 1st accident here: Link

Using my zip code and saying that you have navigation and sunroof shows a rough trade-in at $21,525 and a clean trade-in at $24,050... I think you should be able to get $20,000 easy.
I just got a Guaranteed Trade In number from Subaru directly. It's $21,450. Also, I had my local Subaru dealer where I didn't purchase mine appraise my Outback - their offer is $19,500.

It appears that I might get as high as $20,500 or even $21,000 if I bargain hard, and it's actually not that bad, considering that I got mine last year at $23,700 + TTL.

All the dealers here now offer $3,000 off from MSRP any in-stock 2012 Outback, which means I can get a 2012 at around $24,500 or less. With $500 discount coupon from Subaru, my out-of-pocket cost for a new Outback would be around $3,000 + TTL (tax will be only on the difference between new one and the trade-in.) Um....

·
Banned
238 Posts
I wonder, what makes you think that your driving habits will change with the new car of the same model? Apparently, there is something in your way of negative thinking attracts that "bad omen".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts