Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium Magnetite Gray Metallic
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed an aftermarket Amp yet in a 2.5 Premium?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,690 Posts
I haven't installed one yet but I am still planning out the system. So far, this is the amp I most probably will go with either one of these amps:

Rockford Fosgate Prime R400-4D
or
Kicker KEY180.4 4x45W RMS if space doesn't permit. I want to keep amp and DSP hidden away under the seats.

The RF amp is a 4ch amp with 75W RMS/channel. My plan is to bridge the back channels to the sub and run all the door speakers from the front two channels. Since my idea is to leave the rear door factory speakers alone as back fill, I shouldn't need a more powerful amp or more channels.

For reference, I will most probably go with the Morel Maximo 6 for the front and dash components and Kicker 11HS8 slim sub to go under the front driver/passenger seat. Either that or a spare tire sealed sub like this JBL. But I am not sure if it needs any modification to the cargo floor tray.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,690 Posts
Here's the Rockford upgrade instructions, which should help with getting access to the head unit.

Does anyone have information on the connectors and the speaker pinouts for the wires?
Not to derail this thread into general audio but for me it looks like an easier solution than to tear up half the interior is to run a DSP directly from the door speaker wires. Especially with the DSP, you can leave the factory EQ flat and tune the DSP to your liking. This would also solve the factory EQ losing it's setting since it will then be left flat any way.

One of the reasons I was looking at the Kicker AMP was because it has a DSP built-in and it is so affordable compared to a separate DSP and amp.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would like it if I didn't have to take out the "tablet" ...lol... and go directly to the speakers with the wires from the amp, but would need a spot to hook up the remote turn on lead.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The disassembly is the biggest concern for me. I'm more confident after replacing the head unit on a Honda pilot, but it isn't something I'd be looking forward to. It's pretty intimidating to dismantle most of the front console. Are you planning on running power from the battery?

As far as the amp goes, the R400-4D was one that I was looking at along with the Morel Maximo 6 speakers. For a DSP I was leaning towards the LC7i, but I need to look into that more. However, I'm more uncertain on components the more I read.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
53 Posts
I added an amp, speakers, sub, and processor in my Onyx a few days after purchasing it. I believe the stock option for the Onyx is the same as the Premium, I opted not to do the Rockford upgrade. Below is all the equipment I went with. The amp and audio processor fit perfectly underneath the driver's seat.

Focal 165AS front speakers and tweeters

Hertz DCX165rear speakers

Kenwood 5 channel amp X8025

Audio Control LC71 Processor

Kenwood eXcelon Sub KFC-XW100

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you take out the factory head unit to tie in all the wires or did you tie in the wires for the speakers at the doors

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
53 Posts
Did you take out the factory head unit to tie in all the wires or did you tie in the wires for the speakers at the doors
I didn’t do the install but they did have to access the factory head unit to do the install. They replaced all of the factory stereo/speaker wire with upgraded wiring and larger gauge.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts