Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd 5MT Champagne
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, the 05 Outback has been showing some pretty bad braking distance numbers in various tests. And I'm talking Hummer territory here! Does anyone know if some aftermarket brakes are coming down the pipe?

Also, I find my OBXT to be somewhat under-damped and it bounces around when goiing over large dips or bumps in the highway. Any aftemarket schocks becoming available?

Which manufacturers normally support Subies?

·
Registered
Red 05 OB XT LTD 5EAT
27 Posts
Just wait for someone with an LGT to upgrade their brakes and buy their old ones cheap.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT LTD 5EAT
1,262 Posts
If you check, the standard Legacy/GT/LTD has the same braking problems.

The folks at the LegacyGT board blame the crappy tires. They claim that by changing out the stock tires for something with more grip, you can see a marked improvment in braking.
For more info...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5487
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5486

I'm not saying their theory is correct, but it's something to consider.
I do agree that the braking numbers are HORRIBLE. Something should be done by subaru to fix the problem, be it tires, pads, rotors, SOMETHING. There's just no excuse for the poor braking performance in a car as light as the Legacy/Outback.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5 Premium
148 Posts
When the driver has the brake pedal all the way to the floor, it seems to me that nothing matters except the ABS programming and the tires. Any modern brake components ought to be able to completely stop the rotation of the wheels as long as ABS is disabled.

The whole purpose behind ABS is to keep the wheels rolling, right? Being able to steer out of trouble is better than leaving beautiful black stripes up to the point you hit something. If the ABS is being a little too agressive in achieving that, then the stopping distance is going to be longer.

Discussing the merits (or lack thereof) of the stock tires here would be terribly redundant.

Anyone willing to do some test panic stops, one with ABS on, and one with ABS off? If the stopping distances are significantly different, then we could point the finger at the ABS programming.

My wife's car, a Toyota Solara, will actually squeal the tires in a panic stop even though they are still rolling (don't ask me how I know this!). Has anyone noticed this with their Subie?

I'm still breaking my '05 OBXT in, so I'm hesitant to jump on the brakes with both feet, and no one has pulled out in front of me. Yet.

TickMan

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback LLBean
78 Posts
I noticed the not so good braking performance of my 05 OB too. ****! my daily commuter (2002 Mitsubishi Lancer) is even better. Of course the OB is a much heavier vehicle but Subaru should install a corresponding brake system to improve it.

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2005 Outback XT Limited MT
2,408 Posts
I'm reading from most sources 60-0 in 141 feet, a good 8-12 feet longer than most of the competition. Can the tires make up that much difference? I suspect that Tickman is on to something with the ABS.

That said, I'm not ready to do the self-diagnostic.

Tickman: Chocolate and martinis? That's a combination I have yet to experience.:7:

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd 5MT Champagne
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After I started this thread, I concluded by myself that tires were a large part of the problem, and yes they can make a huge difference.

In modern cars that all have brakes powerful enough to easily lock the wheels, the amount of friction a tire can generate is the single biggest factor. I has to do a couple of panic stops, one on dry and one one wet pavement, and I was appalled by how long it took me to brake on wet. That's when I decided to get rid of those Crapenzas.

I do however think that the ABS is also partly at fault here. I find that compared to my previous 3 cars, it locks the wheels way too much! It actually lets the wheels lock before releasing pressure. Anyone who's done a bit of physics will know that as soon as the tires lock, the coefficient of friction actually goes way down, reducing breaking power.

This has been corroborated by a well respected local TV car show. They pittted the LGT against a Volvo S40 T5 and the Volvo trounced the LGT on braking. In fact, the LGT came it at 41 meters, which is above teir "acceptable" benchmark of 40 meters for a sport sedan. They were surprised because one look at the brakes tells you they are very powerful indeed. After further investigating, they attributed the bulk of the blame on the ABS system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts