Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been searching and searching..and come up close to what I'm asking, but not quite.

I'm looking to install a set of aftermarket driving lights on our '12 OB. Came stock with OEM fogs, which seem to be just shy of useless and use the headlights anyway.

I just can't justify spending almost $300 on a light bar, and was wondering if there was a way to install them right onto the car. Came from a jeep background, so I'm not afraid of mods/cutting/etc to get the result that I want.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts
I have a pair of Hella FF50 pendant mounted to the plastic bumper. The bumper reinforcement actually keeps the lights secure from vibrations. I have yet to do so but am going to drill holes in the metal bumper then move my current lights and add an additional pair of ff50 pendant mounted. I have the fused relay box, and switch panel ready to go, just need to make the time to route the wires and attach everything.

If I had to do it again i would have purchased the Hella FF75 which are more in line with the looks of the car. Others have done larger lights and fabricated brackets to install them.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
Why did you Plastdip all your lights???:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.....nice pic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a pair of Hella FF50 pendant mounted to the plastic bumper. The bumper reinforcement actually keeps the lights secure from vibrations. I have yet to do so but am going to drill holes in the metal bumper then move my current lights and add an additional pair of ff50 pendant mounted. I have the fused relay box, and switch panel ready to go, just need to make the time to route the wires and attach everything.

If I had to do it again i would have purchased the Hella FF75 which are more in line with the looks of the car. Others have done larger lights and fabricated brackets to install them.
How do you have the bolts secured to the bumper reinforcement? Self tapping bolt, nutsert, jnut?

·
Registered
2013 Outback Premium
117 Posts
This is what I would love to do.

??????????OUTBACK/SUBARU?Car Photo Gallery????????Minkara - The Car & Automobile SNS (Blog - Parts - Maintenance - Mileage)

This is a Japanese website but you can see that this guy used a tape LED and inserted it between the head light body and the front bumper. You can taps the line going to the original driving light.

You can buy a 12V side illumination LED tape very cheap (less than $10?). You just need to use an adhesive tape that holds in high and low temperatures.

·
Registered
2013 2.5 Limited Pearl White SAP
63 Posts
This is what I would love to do.

??????????OUTBACK/SUBARU?Car Photo Gallery????????Minkara - The Car & Automobile SNS (Blog - Parts - Maintenance - Mileage)

This is a Japanese website but you can see that this guy used a tape LED and inserted it between the head light body and the front bumper. You can taps the line going to the original driving light.

You can buy a 12V side illumination LED tape very cheap (less than $10?). You just need to use an adhesive tape that holds in high and low temperatures.
I would definitely pay for that... totally bitchin'

I am suprised there is not someone selling new headlamp assemblies in the US that allow users to upgrade.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts