Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've tried looking around the forums for this information, but couldn't seem to find anything. Here's the question:

In the installation instruction diagram for the Hidden Hitch, it shows to install the backing plates perpendicular to the length of the frame. However, they don't seem to fit quite flush that way. Has everyone just installed them parallel with the frame? Does that question even make sense?

More info: I'm doing the inspection hole widening method using the step bit. The hitch I'm installing is the hidden hitch from etrailer.com

Any insight you could give would be great! Thank you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I took off the rear bumper cover and bumper when I installed a Hidden Hitch on mine. I could see right into the channels where the backing plates are placed. If you notice the backing plates are stamped and thus are slightly concave on one side and convex on the other. I installed them with the convex side down and they fit pretty well when perpendicular to the frame channel.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have installed a few hitches that used backing plates. It seems like they are all just a little wider than the frame channel. I believe this is done so that the backing plate doesn't spin while you are tightening from below. I don't think it is going to matter what the orientation is in the end.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to you both! I'll play around with it this weekend. Sounds like it doesn't much matter, just that they're snug.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
jstemm
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing