Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing driving lights and looking to tap the parking lights. Which wire did you use and where is it?

·
Registered
2012 Legacy 2.5GT-L
312 Posts
What sort of bulbs are you looking to power? Keep in mind a 55W+ bulb pulls a lot more current than the parking lights (you need to think about the gauge of the wire itself, as well as the capacity of whatever circuit you are pulling from. Do you have OEM fog lights? If not, the harness should be there and you can grab power from that (might have to add the relay/switch, but it's a better solution than grabbing from the parking/indicator lights)

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,541 Posts
What sort of bulbs are you looking to power? Keep in mind a 55W+ bulb pulls a lot more current than the parking lights (you need to think about the gauge of the wire itself, as well as the capacity of whatever circuit you are pulling from. Do you have OEM fog lights? If not, the harness should be there and you can grab power from that (might have to add the relay/switch, but it's a better solution than grabbing from the parking/indicator lights)
X2.

With today's high power lights, I would suspect that putting another set of lights on existing wires may cause you problems. Unless your new lights are only 5 or 10 Wats, it would probably be best to go to the fuse block or the battery, to get power for them.

If you want the new driving lights to come on when the low beams are on, then tap into the low beam wire, only to trigger a relay that will turn the new lights on and off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so I need to be more clear, sorry about that.

I'm using a relay setup, so whatever draw I use is minimal at best, and won't overload the stock wiring. This is the signal that will allow power to the relay. When the relay is tripped, it draw power from another log on the relay (battery).

·
Premium Member
2017 Limited 2.5i
1,131 Posts
I installed some Philips Daylight 8 LED DRL's and I tapped the parking light circuit behind the headlight.

If you're using a relay, I'd think you'd want either parking or low beam circuit to trip fogs, or the high beam circuit to trip a driving/spot light relay.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts