Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Outback
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the original engine and cabin air filters on my 16 Outback at 7500 miles with aftermarket carbon types I purchased on Amazon.

I am ready to replace them now again at 21,000 miles. Anyone using these types vs. original pricey SUBARU type non carbon. What are your results?

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,695 Posts
You talking about engine or cabin air?

For the engine I was replacing it with the Napa Gold anually and my used oil analysis never showed a spike in silicon which means they function very well. This year I went with the aFe ProDry S which is a dry multi layed synthetic that is cleaned every few years. I'll check the efficiency at the next UOA but it's a robust and well-built filter that will last longer than the car. High quality.

For the cabin I was using the Napa Gold that were made in Poland. Nice and worked well. Excellent construction and price was very good. This year I'm trying the Bosch HEPA and so far it's really cutting down on the smell. I like the carbon better than the non.

Napa Gold for both engine and cabin is where I'd start. The engine for sure since looks like better build quality than the OEM and it has more pleats aka surface area for filtering.

·
Registered
2019 Outback
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rub;

I appreciate your comments, I might try one of those fitters, the last time I had the car in for service which was a month or two ago the technicians went to pull the filters and they had not seen a carbon model, they though they were dirty.

but you’re right on the extra pleats for better filtering

thanks so much John

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R
510 Posts
The NAMPA Gold 6914 air filter should work.

I use the 6914 and it has more pleats than the OEM.

·
Registered
2013 BRZ 2005 OBXT
231 Posts
I have been using the Fram with Arm and hammer carbon on my 05 outback. Deff working much better then what was in there (no filter at all for the cabin).

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Sprout is running a Fram fresh whatever.

Mal I just made a new filter out of some scrap furnace filter...

Think both are running either Fram or Purolater engine air filters at present.

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,277 Posts
..... I am ready to replace them now again at 21,000 miles. Anyone using these types vs. original pricey SUBARU type non carbon. What are your results?
If you go to an autoparts store with a LARGE selection of airfilter-brands... you can open one of each box (carefully) and compare them. You may be surprised that some of them have MANY more pleats than others.

In general, the MORE pleats, the better the filter. This is because there is more square-inches of filtering surface. A manufacturer can use a finer filtering material (remove smaller partials) and by using more pleats, still maintain airflow specifications.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,200 Posts
for a cabin air filter I am running one with 'activated charcoal" mine is a ATP branded set I got off amazon.

nice for traveling in Jersey,...with the swamp gas by the meadowlands.
(= sulfur farts,...which those that live there "say" is natural,...although it maybe just from Jets/ Giants fans eating beans 365 days a year,...and then congregating).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts