Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know of any chips that are available to improve the already pretty decent eocnomy? i have a 2012 2.5i limited outback. if not a performance chip what about performance upgrades?

tia

·
Registered
2011,premium,2.5
646 Posts
i asked this question, i found i cant really trust them,they come far and in between,i was recommended one chip used on a modded forester,(and for the life of me i cant remember what it was) but i do remember it was mixed reviews, it connected to a obd2 port, so i dont under stand it all so well...

all i can think of is ask someone with a performance shop that does ecu tunning,maybe they know something...

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
stay away from those "chips" or any other gimmicky crap said to improve mileage. the chips trick your car into thinking its getting colder air and hurting the car in the long run. the fuel saving devices dont work. changing your driving habits is about all thats going to help

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts

Subaru employs hundreds of highly talented engineers, and
pays them (the medium bucks) to squeeze as many mpg as
possible out of every car they make. (Well, as many mpg
as possible consistent with a good reputation for reliability,
and low warranty expenses.)

Why would anyone trust an aftermarket hack to "improve"
economy (without screwing-up something else)?

...have you hugged an engineer, today?

Looby

·
Registered
'05 OBXT
453 Posts
I hate to burst the bubble of anyone who thinks that talented engineers have full input on the design of a complex product.

In the end, all engineering decisions are made by managers. Often the input of engineers is compromised by cost, deadlines and business models from MBA types with no design experience what so ever.

Yes, I'm an engineer. The Subaru could be considerably improved.

Wallowing suspension, climate control that is a joke, wind noise that could be easily cured, rear alignment specs that aren't even safe, poor turbo lubrication. Should I go on?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.