Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to have an aftermarket remote starter installed. The installer says that he needs to hide my valet key in the dash (for the transponder, I suppose). I don't like giving up a key, given the cost of duplicating them.

If I want to have a duplicate key made after the remote installation is complete, will I be able to? I've read that to have duplicate keys made, the dealer needs all keys to be present (if I want the other keys to continue to work). In this scenario, the valet key won't be accessible.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
You need all keys, no way around that. Have all 4 programmed prior to RS install.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
This is why I stay away from aftermarket remote starts.

Although I have read that they now make aftermarket modules that can replicate your transponder so you don't have to give up an extra key.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
I recently had a remote start installed in my 2013 OB. A key is no longer needed when you have an aftermarket remote start installed. Hiding a key in the dash is the old way. The newer immoblizer bypass units can copy your existing key. Call around to some different installers or just tell your installer to make a call to his tech support. Having an extra key made is an expensive way to go.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I recently had a remote start installed in my 2013 OB. A key is no longer needed when you have an aftermarket remote start installed. Hiding a key in the dash is the old way. The newer immoblizer bypass units can copy your existing key. Call around to some different installers or just tell your installer to make a call to his tech support. Having an extra key made is an expensive way to go.

Thanks for the feedback. My original plan was to have the installer not use the spare key, but he says that the wiring is complicated and using a spare key would be the best way to go. Maybe I need a different installer.

What type of remote starter did you have installed?

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts
If the installer stated the wiring is complicated, that should indicate to you that you should find yourself another installer that does not find the task complicated.
Thanks for the feedback. My original plan was to have the installer not use the spare key, but he says that the wiring is complicated and using a spare key would be the best way to go. Maybe I need a different installer.

What type of remote starter did you have installed?

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts