Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased my 2013 OB without a RS only because I found the exact car I wanted in stock just without the RS. I had RS in all my cars for quite a few years now and knew I wanted one in my new car eventually. My 2010 OB came with the factory one installed. I purchased a new un-opened Subaru RS on ebay for $100. and installed it myself on my 2010 Legacy. I thought I might do the same for my 2013 OB. Best deal I can find on the Subaru unit currently is about $280. Then I would have to install it myself and pay the dealer about $50. to program the RS id chip into the ECU. Then I would still be stuck with the engine shutdown at door open thing. It’s really only a minor annoyance and not that big of a deal and there are some kludgy workarounds posted (one of them is mine). All things considered I started to look at aftermarket again. The main disadvantage of aftermarkets have always been you have to give up the valet key, spotty install quality and well just the fact that it is not factory. In rare cases the last 2 could cause some issues with the dealer.
The first thing I found out when I started looking was that Directed Electronics has just updated their Dball data transponder bypass kit to support the new Subarus. It actually reads the ID off your existing key and stores it so you no longer have to give up a key and your immobilizer and all factory security remains unchanged. I ended up selecting a Viper 4203v for the RS. I went with a Viper Premium dealer with 2 installers that have been there over 5 years to try and minimize any install problems. Total price was $399. and done within 2 hours. Also has lifetime warranty on unit and install. It’s a simple system designed to be used with cars that already have the remote integrated with the key. Very similar to Subaru system. It has an ultra miniature one button remote (smaller than Subaru) with 2 way feedback that goes on your key chain. It claims 2000’ range which I haven’t actually measured yet, but I do know it is working over twice the distance of my Subaru RS. It can also be programmed for ignition controlled door locks. I didn’t want this feature so I had the installer not program it but I know others on the forum have asked for it.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I got the OEM unit on ebay for $250. I got a Subie mechanic to install after hours for $50. Direct plug in and warrantied. I don't see the issue with the door opening but my dealership was trying to get SOA to get rid of that feature. The Forester does not shut off when the door is opened.

·
Registered
271 Posts
That's great news on the bypass kit, I'm sticking with the factory RS in hopes that Subaru will change the whole shutting off thing on access. I ended up opening my remote and attaching a wire to the antenna to test the additional distance gained. Seems promising and exactly the distance I need , but I'm going to solder it to see how much farther it goes. I really want a two way RS but oh we'll for now.

·
Registered
396 Posts
This is why I'm holding off on RS. I like having everything being factory and plug n play, but I also don't want to pay a similar price for what could be perceived as an inferior product.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Works fine for what it is designed to do - Remote Start the Car.... It is just a bit different than past years (Impreza/Forester); however, has a much increased range and positive feedback.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm more worried about the fact that the aftermarket products are going to screw around with the EyeSight feature since Subaru's system is new in the states and installers aren't familiar with them.

I want an aftermarket remote starter on the 2014 Subaru Forester I'm going to be getting but the risk just seems to high at the moment. =\

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My EyeSight still works fine. The installer was aware of EyeSight systems and placed the antenna at the top left corner of the windshield in the exact same place the factory remote start antenna is with EyeSight. Nothing else is anywhere near the EyeSight system.

·
Registered
320 Posts
My EyeSight still works fine. The installer was aware of EyeSight systems and placed the antenna at the top left corner of the windshield in the exact same place the factory remote start antenna is with EyeSight. Nothing else is anywhere near the EyeSight system.
Did you go to CarToys to get it installed? And is there a reason why you went with the 4203v from Viper?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Works fine for what it is designed to do - Remote Start the Car.... It is just a bit different than past years (Impreza/Forester); however, has a much increased range and positive feedback.
Just wish the range on the Push button start models had some more distance.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Just wish the range on the Push button start models had some more distance.
It'd be nice if Subaru would update their OEM technology. The new navigation and head units for the 2014 are nice (still behind the times compared to Ford and Toyota) but their remote start feature are like on the same level of the all-weather package. The technology that lessens the harshness of the climate should also be one of their focuses besides AWD and safety in my opinion. They already design the AWD and traction control for that. The remote start option they offer should be one of those technologies they hone too in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you go to CarToys to get it installed? And is there a reason why you went with the 4203v from Viper?
CarToys looks like a decent place but we have none in NJ. I went to the Viper website and did a dealer search for my zip and picked one listed as a Preferred Dealer and one I knew woud be a smaller shop. Not that big electronics chains like BB are bad. I just think your chances of a quality install are better with the smaller specialized shops.
I went with the Viper 4203v beacuse it is one of the few made for a car with a remote electronic key. You can't do away with your Subaru key so why carry another remote with with lock/unlock buttons. The Viper is a very small one button remote that fits nicely on your keychain. 2000' range is also very nice. 2 way feedback lets you know your car has actually started. Avital makes a similiar less expensive one (4113) with less range and no feedback but still a **** of a lot better than the one Subaru gives you with the SAP model.

·
Registered
320 Posts
CarToys looks like a decent place but we have none in NJ. I went to the Viper website and did a dealer search for my zip and picked one listed as a Preferred Dealer and one I knew woud be a smaller shop. Not that big electronics chains like BB are bad. I just think your chances of a quality install are better with the smaller specialized shops.
I went with the Viper 4203v beacuse it is one of the few made for a car with a remote electronic key. You can't do away with your Subaru key so why carry another remote with with lock/unlock buttons. The Viper is a very small one button remote that fits nicely on your keychain. 2000' range is also very nice. 2 way feedback lets you know your car has actually started. Avital makes a similiar less expensive one (4113) with less range and no feedback but still a **** of a lot better than the one Subaru gives you with the SAP model.
So basically you're able to unlock and lock your Subaru with the OEM remote even after the install?

I considered Best Buy for a tiny bit but I've heard horror stories about aftermarket remote engine starter installs so I'm just going to choose one of the smaller shops in my area. It's still a worry for me since they specialize in auto sound and aftermarket remote engine starters but I guess it's better than going to a large chain store like Best Buy.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So basically you're able to unlock and lock your Subaru with the OEM remote even after the install?

I considered Best Buy for a tiny bit but I've heard horror stories about aftermarket remote engine starter installs so I'm just going to choose one of the smaller shops in my area. It's still a worry for me since they specialize in auto sound and aftermarket remote engine starters but I guess it's better than going to a large chain store like Best Buy.
Yes the OEM remote still works. Here is a pic showing how small the remote is next to the key. Click on it for a bigger pic.
IMG_0023.JPG

·
Registered
188 Posts
I got Viper 5301 installed at BB about a year ago and very happy with it. BB gets more traffic and installers are trained and more familiar since they do many installations. I wouldn’t trust a small shop but that’s me.

·
Registered
271 Posts
So in addition to the Viper system I have to purchase a Dball data transponder bypass kit?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So in addition to the Viper system I have to purchase a Dball data transponder bypass kit?
Yes. The viper 4203v is 299. installed plus 100 for the transponder bypass. Prices are pretty much controlled by viper

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also have a 2013 Outback (actually my wife's) and I'm at a crossroads here with the Remote Start decision. I am a little cautious about going aftermarket.

OEM Remote Start kit vs. aftermarket unit such as the Viper 4203v that OP has described....hmmm?

Viper 4203v
Viper - Viper Responder One 2-Way Remote Start System

What about the optional SmartStart module for the Viper alarm iPhone users? I read a lot of bad reviews since the latest software update, but it seems like a pretty cool feature for iPhone users once it's working correctly...although its doubtful if SmartStart is worth the $299 price just yet. I also read somewhere that there is a $29 annual service fee for this as well.

I'm not asking to be convinced to go Viper vs. OEM, but I certainly appreciate any details Pros/Cons of either system as I'm still learning about the two.

OEM RS:
$330+ Retail Price
Fairly small remote
400+ ft range
After remote start, open door and car shuts off. Seems to defeat the purpose of the kit, however seems to protect the starter from the owner turning the key too far.
Double-click the OEM button to start
Putting your foot on the brake pedal (before the key in ignition) will shut off the car?

Viper:
$299 price includes installation
$100 transponder bypass needed
Small remote
Farther range (2,000 ft?)
Did I read there is an option to program door locks?
Room to grow with optional SmartStart iPhone app/module ($299)

With either choice, the user would still need to use their keys. And speaking of keys, I'm curious if using the Viper kit means the user has to be extra careful when putting the key into the ignition and into the ON position?

I'm leaning towards the Viper at this point...just need a little more clarity to ensure this is more convenient vs. inconvenient for my wife.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have the factory RS, the SAP models have far less range at about 70ft compared to the key start models at 400ft ( I wish I had at least that much). I like the simplicity of it being plug and play, but the short range and the shutting off upon opening doors makes me regret my decision. I am more likely going to go with a Viper system later on. If your going to do it I say go with the Viper, it has better range, and a two way small remote. In addition the vehicle will not shut off when you open the doors. Whatever you pick hope it works well for your wife.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the reply and advice. I'm 99% sure I'm going with the same viper 4203v as mentioned here. My only concern is damage to the starter if she puts the key in while its already running and turns it too far. I'm not sure if this is a real issue or not.

The buggy SmartStart iPhone app looks to actually be $199, so that's a potential future purchase. It allows you to also lock/unlock the car with your phone which is really helpful. However I am thinking this lock/unlock feature would only work if I bought a more full scale Viper alarm rather than just a remote starter?

My next step will be to talk to an installer at Best Buy.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OEM RS:
$330+ Retail Price
Fairly small remote
400+ ft range
After remote start, open door and car shuts off. Seems to defeat the purpose of the kit, however seems to protect the starter from the owner turning the key too far.
Double-click the OEM button to start
Putting your foot on the brake pedal (before the key in ignition) will shut off the car?

Viper:
$299 price includes installation
$100 transponder bypass needed
Small remote
Farther range (2,000 ft?)
Did I read there is an option to program door locks?
Room to grow with optional SmartStart iPhone app/module ($299)

With either choice, the user would still need to use their keys. And speaking of keys, I'm curious if using the Viper kit means the user has to be extra careful when putting the key into the ignition and into the ON position?

I'm leaning towards the Viper at this point...just need a little more clarity to ensure this is more convenient vs. inconvenient for my wife.
I self installed the factory RS in my 2010 Legacy, ordered the factory RS in my 2010 OB and just had the Viper 3203v installed in my 2013 OB. I will try to answer some of your questions.
Regarding the OEM unit, $330. sounds a little cheap for a dealer purchase and install. I would check your local dealer prices. Most quotes I have seen have been in the $550. + range. Other than that everything you said about the OEM is right.
Regarding the Viper 4203v the price is correct. Viper pretty much controls their dealer pricing so they should all be the same. I am sure there are always exceptions. Doors can be unlocked with the RS remote by pushing the RS button after the car has been remote started. You can also have ignition controlled door locks, where they will lock when you turn the key to on and unlock when it is turned to off. Plus buttons on your key still work. All these features are included in the standard installation price. Also no problem with turning the key too far. Nothing happens. I checked it many times. SmartStart seems to have a lot of issues and complaints. Also you have to pay ongoing for the service. They just introduced a new SmartStart which does not require the service but because it goes directly from phone to the car the distance is limited to 200'. It works with the 4203v and cost was $199. but I declined, even though it would have been neat to tell Siri to start my car.
Some suggestions:
Stay away from installs at big box electronics stores. There are so many horror stories. (I even have one of my own) I am sure they do many good installs but when you have a bunch of semi trained high school kids doing the work there is a lot of room for error. Tip: When you go to BB and ask some of the standard questions does the kid seem to know the answers or does it seem like he is guessing?
Moving upstream, even in the Viper line does not always get you a better product. Find a model with many happy users.
Whatever unit you go with download the owners manual ahead of time and discuss each feature you expect to work with the installer. Big box stores like to leave out standard things sometimes like parking light flash.
Discuss where the antenna is going to be located, especially if you have EyeSight. Many big box stores like to leave the antenna up in the dash someplace which greatly reduces your range but makes their job easier.
Make sure they are using the proper transponder bypass and you do not have to give up your valet key.
Also make sure they are not going to permanetly bypass your immobilizer. To clarify: There is an id chip in the electronics end of your key thet allows your your car to start. Right now if you cover the head of your key with aluminum foil and try to start the car it won't start. If it starts with the aluminum foil on the key after the RS install they permanetly bypassed your immobilizer. There is a guy with an OB on the forum who had a high end Viper installed at BB. They did this plus the other usual BB screw ups. I'll post a link if I can find it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
15 Participants
G-Omaha
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing