Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new 2013 Crosstrek and got new rims to mount my previous 3rg Outback snow tires on and just curious if you folks think I should mount my snow tires on the new set of rims or switch the tires. I'm not too picky as to the looks but the new rims are not cheapo steel rims and I guess they weigh somewhere around 22lbs each. I have no idea how much the OEM rims weigh but just looking at opinions. The new rims have a black machined finish too, sort of like the stock OEM rims. Obviously if I switch the tires, it will cost me more than if I simply put the snow tires on my new rims...

Jay

·
Registered
557 Posts
if you go with the new wheels and previous tires i believe you will have your tpms light on.

if you put the old tires on the current wheels then you'll be good to go with the tpms light.

would having the tpms light on bother you?

also, new wheels have the correct bolt pattern and back spacing, yes?

joel

·
Registered
592 Posts
if you go with the new wheels and previous tires i believe you will have your tpms light on.

if you put the old tires on the current wheels then you'll be good to go with the tpms light.

would having the tpms light on bother you?
You can always have the TPMS system transferred between the two sets of rims too or buy new sensors and have them reset every season.

I personally don't mind the TPMS light for the winter season.

As to the OP's original question, I say go with the ones you like better for the Spring/Summer/Fall and use the ones you like the looks of the least for the Winter. Also, I don't know the weight of the OEM Crosstrek rims, but if they're heavier or lighter you might want to factor that in to your decision for minor changes in fuel economy during the 3 nicer seasons.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
statueim said:
Also, I don't know the weight of the OEM Crosstrek rims, but if they're heavier or lighter you might want to factor that in to your decision for minor changes in fuel economy during the 3 nicer seasons.
Yeah, the idea of having the lightest rims for the majority of the year is more of a factor than looks. I don't mind the OEM rims and obviously bought rims that I can live with, the same pattern. I got a $50 "black friday" discount so I did buy the TPMS kit for it so hopefully I can get the codes transferred and the new rims will work with the winter tires w/o the TPMS light on the dash. I'm aware of the electrical tape mod too and not opposed to winter use with the tape mod either. I need to chat with the garage that would mount the tires...

1 Lucky Texan: Ah, good idea, that is a good consideration..I bet the OEM rims are more expensive....

Thanks all for the comments so far!

Jay

·
Registered
17,016 Posts
not necessarily cheapest. Aftermarkets are often only available for a few years and trying to find them in the right color is sometimes tricky. I'm shipping 2 white rims to Austin today to a guy that is having one painted gold to match his 3 survivors. SSR GT2. I wrecked both on one side of my car and neither me nor the insurance company could find 2. So they comped me the value of 2 and I had to buy a set of 4 - grrrr.

at least they will get re-used instead of melted down like aluminum cans.

So, stock MIGHT be easier to replace as singles (even if from a junkyard) in the future, than some limited edition aftermarket. - not sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts