Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finishing up the install that will not die and am hazing issues with the Sirius radio reception. The aftermarket unit came with the module and antenna. I just stuck the antenna in the upper right windshield corner with some sticky tape. The reception comes and goes waaaay more than it should (every 2 mins). Before I go and run the antenna to the back and put it on the roof, are there any tips fir windshield mounting? DO I need to be more exact with the location?

If roof mounting is my only option, any best paths for running it go the hatch? I do not want to drill any exit holes if possible.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
When I installed my hitch I had the rear drivers side pannels off in the rear tail light area. I was able to run the wire out through the rubber plug for the driver side tail light. The rest of the wire I just tucked under the trim.

Currently I'm using the window mount antenna but I'm thinking of switching back, it does cut out more than the rook one did.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ordered the Subaru Sirius antennaand the extension cable from Subaru Parts Online, and mounted the antenna in the upper right corner of the windshield. That plugs into the harness up under the map light, and then come up over by the HVAC controls on my 2010 Legacy. There's an extension that you can plug into there and then into your radio (need to take the plug end off if you're going to an aftermarket radio).

Reception is fantastic on the "real" antenna compared to the one that came with the radio.

I found exterior mounting to destroy the antennas and I end up replacing them all the time. Living in the northeast with snow/ice, etc might be most of the reason for that.

EDIT:
If you're mounting a magnetic antenna inside, I would think you want to have the plastic side facing the sky, NOT the magnetic base. Dawned on me that might be how it's mounted. The OEM ones are totally plastic and designed to be mounted the way the are.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I usually mount them somewhere inside to car to keep from the elements from taking theor toll. In our OB I tied on to the OEM wiring and use the shark fin.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
lashlee
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing