Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I tried to search the forum already, can't find one so i made this new thread.

Can any of you point me to a link where i can buy an aftermarket wind deflector kit? will the 2012 deflectors fit. I got a 2013 with SAP.

i inquired in our local subaru dealership already and it's ridiculously price $459.95. for me it's very expensive considering the hood protector is only $90.

thank you very much.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply.

They only have for 2012, do you think this fits 2013?

Also, is mounting in the channel secure and easy to install? is it more better than taped?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have weathertech window deflectors on my 2012. very easy to install and durable. While driving ive seen others with the stick on tape deflectors and theyre usually broken or cracked. Weathertech can be bent in half almost and spring right back. The channel mount is very secure, wedges it self right in. Instructions are easy to follow.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Side windows deflectors

I bought mine (OEM Subaru) online (subaruparts for you) for some $ 100 and installed them myself. Its a piece of cake!

·
Registered
270 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Weather-tech side window deflectors

I just put a set of side window deflectors on my '13 SOB today. Ordered them on Wednesday and they arrived today. $114 for all four dark tint deflectors. Looking at the invoice, the parts appear to be the same for ,10-'13 SOB models. Easy install. Roll the windows all the way down. It will make install easier. Pay attention when applying the front deflectors. The front lip, closest to the mirror needs to be outside of weatherstrip. If not applied correctly your window will not go up.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I just put a set of side window deflectors on my '13 SOB today. Ordered them on Wednesday and they arrived today. $114 for all four dark tint deflectors. Looking at the invoice, the parts appear to be the same for ,10-'13 SOB models. Easy install. Roll the windows all the way down. It will make install easier. Pay attention when applying the front deflectors. The front lip, closest to the mirror needs to be outside of weatherstrip. If not applied correctly your window will not go up.
Where do you get Weathertec Deflectors for $114. That's a great price!

Is that front & back?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Do these deflectors really quiet the wind noise ?? I notice that having the rear windows open of Subarus are quite deafening. Thinking of getting a set. Thanks

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
They're not so much intended to quiet the wind noise as they are to allow you to open the windows a little in the rain. Although that also means you can open the windows some and have reduced wind intrusion while still getting the benefits of the open window.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
I added OEM side window deflectors a while back on my 2013 OB. I found those to be better because they are closer to the window than Weathertechs (15 mm to be exact) and allow windows to go up completely...therefore much less noisy than Weathertechs, when windows are partially open. I compared both and decided to use OEMs.
It's a personal choice....

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I added OEM side window deflectors a while back on my 2013 OB. I found those to be better because they are closer to the window than Weathertechs (15 mm to be exact) and allow windows to go up completely...therefore much less noisy than Weathertechs, when windows are partially open. I compared both and decided to use OEMs.
It's a personal choice....
Last I checked my windows go all the way up with Weathertechs...

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
I am sorry but last time I've checked the Weathertechs are inserted in the window channels ... also, last time I've checked some posts on this forum reported an issue with the fact that windows don't go all the way up....
I am just saying what I read and what I have experienced myself... if you have no problems with yours, great! Anything wrong here? Geeez....

·
Registered
515 Posts
Just recently put on some Subaru window deflectors. I got them mainly to allow dry ventilation when the dog is in the car or I'm camping in the vehicle.

I'm not all that happy with them. There's only about 1/2" of space between the window and deflector while it still covers or levels with the top of the window. Also, the deflector tapers narrower as toward the front, not following the shape of the top window edge. This sucks for the following reasons:

1) This leaves a pretty big gap opening, and you need to leave just a small window opening so it won't be open to rain at the front. Also, this gap creates higher frequency wind noise I find more annoying than no deflector.

2) It allows rain to blow in easier, giving you little room to crack open the window in rain.

3) You have to be careful when parking the vehicle that you cover this gap well with the window. The gap is very close to the door latch, making it pretty easy for a thief to pop it with a coat hanger if it's not closed enough.

I see the Weathertechs have a front vertical portion of the deflector, which should help with all the above issues. The Subies don't have this.

Other negatives that might be considered:

1) They are a PITA to remove. The clips that initially hold the deflectors in position are semi-permanent one-way, and very difficult to detach once clipped on. I broke both of them off the deflector thinking I could get one unclipped. It looks like the Weathertechs might be much easier to remove and reinstall, even if you might have to replace adhesive tape. I think it might be hard to remove and resell the Subies.

2) The block/distort a significant angle of view. If the scenery is pretty, you'll miss some sense of openness. Some forward corner visibility is distorted also. I find myself wanting to lower my seat height because of this, which makes entry/exit a little less comfortable.

3) I've been throw off by distorted light reflections at night. It's grabbed my attention when my peripheral vision picks it up as perhaps a moving object could be coming my direction suddenly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
12 Participants
J Delman
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing