Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there, planning on getting my first Subaru within the next 6-8 months and have looked at the '04 & '05 base Outbacks. kinda like the '05 a bit better and was wondering if the stereo can be swapped with a cd-changer controller. I'm sure it can be, but has anyone done this/know of somebody that has? Looks like the trim panel would have to be replaced also? I'd like to finally have a changer for the trips snowboarding.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased the 2005 Outback Wagon and I think the factory stereo sounds like garbage. I have taken it in to a couple of professional car stereo shops and they have been unable to add an aftermarket stereo due to the fact that Subaru has integrated the lame stock into the dash that way. If Subaru ever comes out with a dash kit then it may become possible to swap the stock garbage stereo.

If you hear otherwise...let me know!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
On the list of upgrades...

We too are a bit disappointed by the factory stereo, but than again, I really wasn't expecting to be impressed. I knew before we bought that upgrading the head unit would not be possible, at least not for some time. I am curious though as to the speaker sizes and available mounting depths. I would think that vastly improved sound could be had by replacing the cheesy factory speakers with quality after market, and throwing an amplifier in with a line level converter, maybe a sub tube behind the back seat if you really want some deep base.

On another note, does anyone know if their is any kind of auxiliary input on the '05 head units that could be used for XM/iPOD/Changer/Etc..? I would like to add XM or Sirius, but I don't want to use an FM modulator to do it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I believe that only the VDC versions has inputs for MP3, etc.

Other than the CD changer, is there any difference between the stereo in the XT LTD vs the nonlimited? I am actually fairly pleased with the factory stereo w/ the added sub.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
think I might just opt for a used 2005 Limited and have the cd-changer + moon roof...then I won't have to worry about adding a system

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi, I was wondering if there was any update on this topic? any aftermarkets out there yet??

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
5,198 Posts
Guys.... there is a thead somewhere here in which discusses this much more in depth. JazzyMT is also making and selling a replacement board allowing an input (mini-stereo or whatever) of analog signal. This means hookup for your MP3 player, or whatever you got.

Another thought, is there another product out there that uses simply a good interface providing control over an mp3 player and radio (maybe looks like the sat. radio units) that you mount somewhere on the dash, which then goes to an underseat or hood amplifer and the to the speakers? You could even wire it to still have the factory setup hooked up if you wish (although it would get tricky).

I will see if I can provide some examples. After all, why do we need a whole new "head unit" with some of the newer options that exist out there now?

Thoughts ? oh.. and where's that bum Jazzy when you need him?

·
Registered
98 Posts
AFTER MARKET STEREO

I think you guys with the 2 zone ACC are screwed in this area. With a single zone acc unit (AUSDM), I have swapped a JDM acc controller and double din facia into mine (see AVO TURBO web site), and fitted a JVC DV610x head unit. MUCH better sound even with stock speakers, sub woofer output, line in, video out, 4.7gb of mp3, disc or folder random etc etc. See pics on http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12513

jp

·
Hokey Pokey Champion
3,594 Posts
Despite the high price (~$400 USD) just for the new AC & split bezel, this is probably the route I would have gone w/my car if it was an option...which...as jp stated, is not.

I don't know if my aux in solution works with the 1CD radio either...if you'd like to try it, I should have prototypes whipped up in a week or so & planning on selling the first batch at 25$ ea. You should read the "ipod direct connect" forum for more info on that...it's probably not quite what you're looking for...

There is also a replacement bezel out there somewhere that allows a single din opening where the "cubby" between the vents is above the stereo. I think it's around $160 and it requires some "cutting" of dash supports to fit a stereo inside, but it looks pretty good and it's less expensive since you're not replacing your whole acc unit.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did an online chat with Crutchfield last night and confirmed that they don't carry anything, but I asked if he's aware of anything for a replacement other than via Crutchfield and he said no

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
snowon
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing