Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post and figured this would be a good topic since I haven't been able to find a direct answer. I apologize if it has been mentioned already and I missed the post on this. I have a 2013 premium outback and did not take the upgraded HK system, figured I could do better with an after market set-up when I was ready to upgrade. I have read that there are adapters for aftermarket stereos that allow you to maintain the steering wheel controls, however I haven't been able to find if there is a solution that allows you to continue to use the steering wheel bluetooth controls? I do not talk on the phone much while driving but they have come in handy a few times and I would hate to lose the option if I upgrade my stereo. I know most aftermarket systems have integrated bluetooth and i would still be able to have a hands free option but the convenience of the buttons on the steering wheel is just to nice to lose after now getting used to them. Has anyone upgraded and had any luck with the steering wheel controls both for bluetooth and the stereo controls? Also any recommendations on a head unit? I haven't done tons of research yet but I am leaning towards Alpine for brand. Thanks in advanced for any advice on this topic.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
Most of the time the adapter (either the Axxess or the PAC) will support the buttons but the radio may or may not support the remote control of the bluetooth functions. If the aftermarket radio has a wireless remote that supports it should indicate that the steering wheel piece should work. I put a Kenwood in our OB with good results of the controls, but not all work with my wife's iPhone. I'm not sure what buttons work and what ones don't but I know that some do.

I've got an Alpine in my Accord that works good, but is an older one without some of the newer bells and whistles. I don't care for Alpine's nav, especially since they don't update them regularly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts