Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Touring XT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, new here, just needed some guidance.

Considering this wheel/tire combo:

BBS XR 17x7.5 - 45mm Offset
Toyo Open Country AT3 235 / 65 / 17 - 108H

Will this set-up fit my Outback without rubbing the fenders or inside wheel well? Or do I need to install a lift kit to make it fit?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
1,389 Posts
You will need to find someone that has tried this option. However you can try an estimate by steering the tires to max and then us the Y travel range to look possible collisions between the tire and the OB.
The new tire has a 0.4" increase in diameter which of course is only a 0.2" increase in radius. The width also increases by 0.4" which will extend each edge of the tread by 0.2". You could try a cardboard mockup to stick on the installed tire to get a better visual. Or wait for someone out there that has these tires to come forward. I have no idea about the current wheel offsets.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You will need to find someone that has tried this option. However you can try an estimate by steering the tires to max and then us the Y travel range to look possible collisions between the tire and the OB.
The new tire has a 0.4" increase in diameter which of course is only a 0.2" increase in radius. The width also increases by 0.4" which will extend each edge of the tread by 0.2". You could try a cardboard mockup to stick on the installed tire to get a better visual. Or wait for someone out there that has these tires to come forward. I have no idea about the current wheel offsets.
I believe O.E. wheel offset for gen6 Outbacks is 55mm
I found one user that has 235/60/18 Toyo AT3's on his blue gen5 (I think it's a gen5...) the dimensions of that tire are the same as the 235/65/17's . But I don't know if the size of his wheel well is the same as the gen6, or what the offset of his o.e. wheels are..
I think I'll wait to break out the cardboard 😂

I used WillTheyFit.com to compare my stock wheel set up to the one I want, and it seems like they should fit. It says; "3.6mm further away from the suspension strut. The outer rim will poke out 16.4mm more than before" wheel diameter is increased 0.4mm-0.5mm and tread width is increased 0.4mm.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx XT 2004 Outback H6. 2020 Ram 1500
15 Posts
I have 235/60/18 AT3 on my 21 xt and no rubbing scrubbing etc But I am also on stock wheels for now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have 235/60/18 AT3 on my 21 xt and no rubbing scrubbing etc But I am also on stock wheels for now. View attachment 502934
Looking gooood!

Thanks for the info,
But I'm really looking to drop down to 17"s.
Are you able to go full steer over bumps or dips without rubbing as well?

I went to America's Tire so they could use their computer to check fitting.
They told me Toyo OC AT3 235/65/17's will rub, but that the 255/55/18's will Not rub... I was so confused... the 255's have a solid inch more tread width and are only 0.1in smaller in diameter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
That website is great for comparing set-ups, I use WillTheyFit.com but thats not what I need.
I need to know if the wheels will rub in full steer or hard turns and turning over bumps and dips.
For that they would need dimensions of the wheel well and of the car.

I'm looking for someone who can personally verify that they fit on the same car as mine and don't rub under any conditions.
Thanks though

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now I'm starting to wonder about what the guys at America's Tire said.
Does 255/55/18 really fit without rubbing?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have 235/65/17 on 17x8 wheels with a 40 offset. No problems with rubbing. I wouldn't think the 5mm would make a difference.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have 235/65/17 on 17x8 wheels with a 40 offset. No problems with rubbing. I wouldn't think the 5mm would make a difference. View attachment 503004
Great color combo on your car, that Red on Black looks badass!
Thanks for the reply.
Comparing from yours, I'd have +1.3mm clearance from suspension, and -11.4mm poke.
If that's the case, it seems the set-up I want would fit no problem.

Just put it in my order! Will post pictures after I install them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
17/7.5 - 45 rims
235/65/17 tires
No lift
Very happy with ride quality, no rubbing at full steer over bumps or dips, little noise, dog approved

1 - 11 of 11 Posts